• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable Dac/Amp for Fostex TH-900s?

mhcapa1

Any recommendations for a dac/amp that would fit well with Fostex TH-900's?

I sorted through tons of headphones and these are the ones for my ears. Looking at frequency response graphs helped me to land on these as well, so Im pretty sure I wouldnt want a dac amp that would change that much, unless it were to emphasize what the th900 chart already looks like.

I had a fiio dac amp, switched to the hipdac 2 because it decodes mqa instead of just rendering mqa, and I mainly listen to Tidal through USB Audio player pro on an android to bypass the android output limiting issues.
The hip dac 2 just sounds a little treble-y to me fr lack of a better term.

Was looking at a monolith thx aaa and a oppo ha-2, but I think asking people in a forum like this one to get advice first is probably better than just buying and trying.

Any price considered.

Any recs?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Any recommendations for a dac/amp that would fit well with Fostex TH-900's?

I sorted through tons of headphones and these are the ones for my ears. Looking at frequency response graphs helped me to land on these as well, so Im pretty sure I wouldnt want a dac amp that would change that much, unless it were to emphasize what the th900 chart already looks like.

I had a fiio dac amp, switched to the hipdac 2 because it decodes mqa instead of just rendering mqa, and I mainly listen to Tidal through USB Audio player pro on an android to bypass the android output limiting issues.
The hip dac 2 just sounds a little treble-y to me fr lack of a better term.

Was looking at a monolith thx aaa and a oppo ha-2, but I think asking people in a forum like this one to get advice first is probably better than just buying and trying.

Any price considered.

Any recs?
A good place to start is figuring out how much power you need to drive the Fostex TH-900's. This tool can help. That should help you narrow your search for a portable amp that will work with those headphones.

You can use this tool to find Amir's headphone amp reviews:

There's no filter for "portable" but it shouldn't take long to find what you need. There are some solid portable amps that he's measured, the DAC sections measure well and they have a decent amount of power.

Which Monolith are you referring to? This one?

OP
M

mhcapa1

A good place to start is figuring out how much power you need to drive the Fostex TH-900's. This tool can help. That should help you narrow your search for a portable amp that will work with those headphones.

You can use this tool to find Amir's headphone amp reviews:

There's no filter for "portable" but it shouldn't take long to find what you need. There are some solid portable amps that he's measured, the DAC sections measure well and they have a decent amount of power.

Which Monolith are you referring to? This one?
Thanks RickSanchez.
Just used the 1st tool.
Will use the index tool to dig through the reviews and measurements.

Yep thats the monolith

Valuable info. Thanks again

Top Bottom