• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable DAC/AMP below 200$

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 'Use with Bluetooth output' enabled for the HiRes driver, I don't remember it making any difference, it's just been left like that (this may vary from phone to phone).

To get to Toneboosters EQ; from the library screen press the bar graph icon at the top of the screen and press Parametric EQ, I think you'll be prompted for an in-app purchase (I bought it a long while ago!)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1. No idea , but I doubt it- should default to best settings for your phone. Does it do LDAC over Bluetooth? Go for that if so. By all means select that "use with bluetooth" option, cant hurt. Your phone will tell you what connection type it is when your pair.

2. If you are in the playing screen of UAPP, click the 3 bars top right, click "parametric eq" and will bring up option to buy or trial toneboosters. Trial is only so many seconds per track. Its only £1.89 so I'd just buy if you know you want EQ. Or just use the free EQ under the "eq" option on teh same screen

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 'Use with Bluetooth output' enabled for the HiRes driver, I don't remember it making any difference, it's just been left like that (this may vary from phone to phone).

To get to Toneboosters EQ; from the library screen press the bar graph icon at the top of the screen and press Parametric EQ, I think you'll be prompted for an in-app purchase (I bought it a long while ago!)
Dammit- you beat me by seconds . Again

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding PEQ, I usually use the settings from AutoEQ: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Here's the index for all head/earphones: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

Settings for the Tin P1 are here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_in-ear_2019v2/Tin HiFi P1

There are another couple of options for the P1 (I assume these are for modded IEMs).

Enter the top 5 filters into Toneboosters PEQ and save as a preset. Be careful to get the Q and Gain around the right way!

Here's what the PEQ settings look like for my recently acquired Samsung Galaxy Buds+

Screenshot_20200709-194740_USB Audio Player PRO (Small).jpg

tential

Although i'm very happy with my ES100, someone else on here tried it with the Tin P1 and found it lacking as the P1 is hard to drive. You might be better looking for something with a bit more power like the BTR5 or UP4. Personally, i'd lean towards the BTR5 as it's £10 cheaper than the UP4 in the UK and has better performance as a wired DAC.

If you want to play FLAC from your phone (rather than Spotify, Tidal, etc.), I'd also recommend you purchase USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) and the Toneboosters EQ plug-in. This combination will allow you to get the most out of your IEMs.
I think it's lacking. I just tried again though and I used the double current setting that says it doesn't nothing. It does something. I didn't need to turn the es100 to within a few steps of max volume. Still testing, I just put different tips on.

I'd recommend a more powerful amp though still. But I'm just about to start listening again with the new tips I got which are quite good so far. I loved on my tfz no 3.

I just received the P1s and I'm using them on my S10+ that I have plugged in Dt1770 Pros with decent volume levels where I wouldn't want extra volume but the P1s are so power hungry :p I maxed out the volume and it's not close to that level, I'd say that it's about 85% up there.

I'm glad that the BTR5 is arriving tomorrow, I'll just get a 2.5mm balanced cable.

@Cahudson42

Good luck. Should help. I would have recommended more power than a btr5. I think the fiio q5s is the sweet spot power wise or the e1da power dongle actually.

Ya you're seeing just how power hungry these iems are. I kept telling people the impedance wasn't the only thing to look at, but what are you going to tell the typical headfi type user.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's lacking. I just tried again though and I used the double current setting that says it doesn't nothing. It does something. I didn't need to turn the es100 to within a few steps of max volume. Still testing, I just put different tips on.

I'd recommend a more powerful amp though still. But I'm just about to start listening again with the new tips I got which are quite good so far. I loved on my tfz no 3.

Good luck. Should help. I would have recommended more power than a btr5. I think the fiio q5s is the sweet spot power wise or the e1da power dongle actually.

Ya you're seeing just how power hungry these iems are. I kept telling people the impedance wasn't the only thing to look at, but what are you going to tell the typical headfi type user.

For a truly portable solution to amp the P1, the E1DA 9038S, UAPP and a balanced cable are the best bang for your buck, for sure. In fact that set up will go the distance with some harder to drive full size too. Dont do a bad job with my beyer T1.

tential

@Cahudson42[/QUOTE]
For a truly portable solution to amp the P1, the E1DA 9038S, UAPP and a balanced cable are the best bang for your buck, for sure. In fact that set up will go the distance with some harder to drive full size too. Dont do a bad job with my beyer T1.

See, I don't like uapp. It doesn't do what I need. So I HAVE to find a work around. If you can use uapp, I don't know why you'd bother with this. ESPECIALLY if you have the tin hifi p1. But he may need bluetooth.

Anyway, going to pop these in now that I got this notification and try this again. Interested to see what op thinks though when he tries with his btr 5 today. For me, seal was a huge issue, so I think when though they're power hungry, I had other issues. These may be rectified with these new tips.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@tential I've messed up the quoting , sorry [QUOTE="tential, post: 452843, member: 4517"

don't know why you'd bother with this. [/QUOTE]

What is the "this" you refer to here?

Yes, the P1 very much need a good seal into the ear. I use some Comply foam tips, cant recall which size. But they are still pretty hard to drive well. They max out my other dongles.

tential

@tential I've messed up the quoting , sorry [QUOTE="tential, post: 452843, member: 4517"

don't know why you'd bother with this.

What is the "this" you refer to here?

Yes, the P1 very much need a good seal into the ear. I use some Comply foam tips, cant recall which size. But they are still pretty hard to drive well. They max out my other dongles.[/QUOTE]

I prefer to have my play counts tracked because all of my play lists are based on play count. Since uapp is phone only I can't sync my meta data back to my library.

Most music lovers don't seem to be data nerds (this forum could be the cross section) so it's never been really important to other people I talk to.

I have a good seal now. I'm not happy with it(I'm not unhappy. I'm just I don't know) . I don't know, it feels thin. It could just be how the iem is, but I just would never feel comfortable making a decision on the iem without a desktop setup. I think you really need to have no worries of power first to know what it should sound like before you look for a dongle/portable for this specific iem.

Last edited:

tential

I had a volume limiter on. If you turn on double current on the es100 it's good for me so far. But I don't have a stronger amp.

OP
G

Gggggas

@Jimbob54

Once again I thank you both so much for your replies! I bought the Toneboosters EQ and asked the developer of UAPP too just in case I was missing a setting but it's all good just like you told me ;)

I'm watching over the E1DA 9038D section on their Discord because I'm really interested in getting it.

@Berwhale wow I'll definitely add those EQ presets! Thank you once again for all the extra information thrown in here.

Btw I also have the Galaxy Buds+ and lately I've been trying the EQ preset by the Wavelet app which is similar to yours on the low and high frequencies.
Check it out on Playstore, to get it working press on the 3 dots and select Legacy mode.
From there just activate AutoEQ and search for the Galaxy Buds+ preset. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it :) Link is here Wavelet

@tential Regarding the BTR5 , I'm waiting for my linsoul balanced cable to arrive tomorrow so I take advantage of both Dacs on balanced input:D

I tried the P1s on the 3.5mm input just to see how much juice they require and on High gain I go from 35-45 on volume (max is 60) so I guess it will be much lower on balanced.

Regarding the fit/tips I find the included Comply like foam tips to be super comfortable and providing an excellent seal but after reading a review on the P1s by a fellow ASR member @Timoteew I pulled the trigger on the SymbioEartips (model Symbio W) that he picked as the best from a bunch of tips he tried which are a Silicone/foam mixture that not only have an excellent seal but according to his words "They preserve the high frequency magic that the P1 is known for".

Here's his review/comparison on Q5S/BTR5

as well as his Tin P1 review

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw I also have the Galaxy Buds+ and lately I've been trying the EQ preset by the Wavelet app which is similar to yours on the low and high frequencies.
Check it out on Playstore, to get it working press on the 3 dots and select Legacy mode.
From there just activate AutoEQ and search for the Galaxy Buds+ preset. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it :) Link is here Wavelet

My Toneboosters EQ settings are from AutoEQ for the Buds+, so the results should be the same. I do have Wavelet installed and in non-legacy mode. This picks up Spotify automatically and applies EQ. It doesn't pickup UAPP automatically, so I can leave Tonebooster EQ enabled there. I use UAPP the vast majority of time as I have over 500GB of redbook and Hi-Res FLACs on my phone.

OP
G

Gggggas

My Toneboosters EQ settings are from AutoEQ for the Buds+, so the results should be the same. I do have Wavelet installed and in non-legacy mode. This picks up Spotify automatically and applies EQ. It doesn't pickup UAPP automatically, so I can leave Tonebooster EQ enabled there. I use UAPP the vast majority of time as I have over 500GB of redbook and Hi-Res FLACs on my phone.
Good notice ;) 500gb? I thought my 100gb flac library was big lol

OP
G

Gggggas

Hey again fellas , I absolutely love the BTR5 on balanced output. It's very crisp and detailed , paired with the Tin P1 it's incredible.
I was using them on High gain at 35-45 on the 3.5mm output and now on the balanced I'm still at 35-45 but on low gain.

I have a quick question to you guys , do you suggest 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adaptors? So I use some over ear headphones on the balanced output.

Thinking of getting the 600ohm Dt880 to try it on the BTR5 , if it ain't sufficient I'll keep it for the JDS Labs Atom.

I'm tagging you all just in case you don't see my reply :p @Jimbob54 @Berwhale

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey again fellas , I absolutely love the BTR5 on balanced output. It's very crisp and detailed , paired with the Tin P1 it's incredible.
I was using them on High gain at 35-45 on the 3.5mm output and now on the balanced I'm still at 35-45 but on low gain.

I have a quick question to you guys , do you suggest 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adaptors? So I use some over ear headphones on the balanced output.

Thinking of getting the 600ohm Dt880 to try it on the BTR5 , if it ain't sufficient I'll keep it for the JDS Labs Atom.

I'm tagging you all just in case you don't see my reply :p @Jimbob54 @Berwhale
DON'T do that. In very simple terms you can't go from balanced to single ended. Bad things could happen.

(technically that's not the whole story, but I really wouldnt go there).

Top Bottom