• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Port Plugs

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that, generally speaking, proper sub(s) integration pretty much cannot be done properly without global DSP.
My system measures better with a simple crossover to a single sub than without the sub, so I don't agree with that. Now if you want to consume that into the set of all systems need global DSP to be truly accurate at the low end then I agree :).

Krunok

Major Contributor
My system measures better with a simple crossover to a single sub than without the sub, so I don't agree with that. Now if you want to consume that into the set of all systems need global DSP to be truly accurate at the low end then I agree :).

It would measure even better with proper DSP. :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
meaningfull ? The typical speaker frequency is usually reported as ±3 dB

"Usually"? I would say "often, but definitely not often enough", but your rhetoric could be an indicator of ignorance.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
I can be as much of a crotchety old man as anyone... but WTF is up with these trolls following every single post with an attack?
meaningfull ? The typical speaker frequency is usually reported as ±3 dB Your rhetoric of Ignorance is not a excuse.
https://www.cedia.org/blog/how-to-understand-speaker-specs

Actually, it's usually only mediocre commercial passives that quote +/- 3dB specs... professional monitors are almost always more linear than that as are quite a few in the higher-end of consumer audio. A great many speakers that I'm interested in post specs that are +/- 1.5dB or similar... still others specify both sides independently (i.e. +1dB/-3dB) in reference to their sensitivity rating.

Then again it's just another ignorant rhetorical perhaps. o_O

From the specs for Revel Ultima2 Salon2 (enough 2's Revel?):
Frequency Response 3 dB from 23 Hz to 45 kHz ±0.5 dB from 29 Hz to 18 kHz ±1.0 dB from 26 Hz to 20 kHz

And from Neumann it's broken down a little differently (KH 120 A G):
Free field frequency response ±6 dB 46 Hz … 24 kHz
Free field frequency response ±3 dB 52 Hz … 21 kHz
Free field frequency linearity deviation between 100 Hz and 10 kHz ± 1.0 dB
Reproduction accuracy between 100 Hz and 10 kHz 100%, 80%, 50% of loudspeakers produced ±0.97; ±0.40; ±0.23 dB

Last edited:

carlosmante

To quote from that document: "The most meaningful ratings include a plus/minus deviation" - exactly my point (that you seemed to take an issue with).
The frequency response if presented before a Court of Law could be part of "Usual Practice" as +- 3 dB.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The frequency response if presented before a Court of Law could be part of "Usual Practice" as +- 3 dB.

This is why audio gear is (mostly) designed by engineers and not lawyers.

digicidal

Major Contributor
This is why audio gear is (mostly) designed by engineers and not lawyers.
Along with almost everything else of value on this planet (well at least the man made stuff). Lawyers are good for making blank paper into garbage printed statements, and very little else. Not that they don't have their place, but even my friends who are lawyers - aren't really my friends if you get my meaning. ;)

OP
jsrtheta

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Along with almost everything else of value on this planet (well at least the man made stuff). Lawyers are good for making blank paper into garbage printed statements, and very little else. Not that they don't have their place, but even my friends who are lawyers - aren't really my friends if you get my meaning. ;)

I'm sure they love you all the same. /s

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I can be as much of a crotchety old man as anyone... but WTF is up with these trolls following every single post with an attack?

Actually, it's usually only mediocre commercial passives that quote +/- 3dB specs... professional monitors are almost always more linear than that as are quite a few in the higher-end of consumer audio. A great many speakers that I'm interested in post specs that are +/- 1.5dB or similar... still others specify both sides independently (i.e. +1dB/-3dB) in reference to their sensitivity rating.

Then again it's just another ignorant rhetorical perhaps. o_O

From the specs for Revel Ultima2 Salon2 (enough 2's Revel?):

And from Neumann it's broken down a little differently (KH 120 A G):
Yea , the lack of a hierarchical structure in these discussions means some folks feel the need to inject authority into their posts to provide the missing affirmation. This is done preemptively by them as a kind of insulator to the chaos and insecurity these kind of online forums can impart on individuals.

That's my take anyhow , and yes there seems to be a bit of a breakout in terms of this happening about the forum right now.

We need to plug them ha ha

Bloody humans init.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yea , the lack of a hierarchical structure in these discussions means some folks feel the need to inject authority into their posts to provide the missing affirmation. This is done preemptively by them as a kind of insulator to the chaos and insecurity these kind of online forums can impart on individuals.

That's my take anyhow , and yes there seems to be a bit of a breakout in terms of this happening about the forum right now.

We need to plug them ha ha

Bloody humans init.

No need to argue, just ban them all. :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has someone measured his speakers with and without port plugs to see the difference objectively?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Has someone measured his speakers with and without port plugs to see the difference objectively?

I have... you might already have seen it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ort-resonances-of-mains-in-a-2-1-setup.19039/

The advantage is hardly noticeable in systems with really well-designed ports, plus you lose bass output which is arguably more important. With the KH120s, I think it reduced some of that port 'chuffing' noise when playing at extreme levels -- still, the loss in bass SPL ain't worth-it -- so I finally decided to unblock the ports. With the S8s, I left the port bung on since I did not need the extra bass output and -- this could totally be my imagination (can't A/B this instantaneously like with a simple convolution switch) - it sounded a touch 'cleaner' in the bass.

Can you spot an advantage (ports sealed vs open) in the attached measurements? After opening the ports, only changes I made were to reduce the gain around 56 Hz and 70 Hz (due to overall bass boost after unsealing) -- as well as tweaking my phase correction a bit. A cursory look at the graphs seem to show little to no advantage in this particular scenario.

*speakers are with sub

Attachments

• KH120 LR - LP - sealed (desk sitting).zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • KH120 LR - LP - open recalibrated.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Top Bottom