• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Popping issue - WiiM + Audioengine DAC

jakc

Issue:
Between tracks the DAC gives audible click and also a popping noise from speakers. Enough to ruin listening experience.

Tried:
Reverted back to using the AUX out and bypassing the DAC = works fine.
Same issue if I use a different USB power source
If I take the WiiM out the mix and use a PC as input = works fine with no clicks when playing tracks.

Setup:
  • Airplay from iPhones, typically Substreamer or Doppler, but have tried other apps like YouTube - same issue.
  • WiiM connected to Audioengine D1 DAC via SPDIF
  • DAC powered from Audioengine A1 USB

Any suggestions before I start thinking about changing hardware?

index.php

Bamyasi

Likely caused by TOSLINK LED power cycling which WiiM does between tracks. Some DACs are sensitive to this and would produce a loud popping sound. I have reported this bug to WiiM support numerous times but so far it has only been partially fixed for Amazon Music streaming specifically. Same thing happens when you press pause button or skip to next/previous track. WiiM promised a fix soon, let's see if the latest firmware update fixes it.

OP
J

jakc

Thanks, yes I have tried to rever tback to SPDIF but the noise makes it unbearable when using either Doppler, Navidrome or Substreamer apps.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ssue:
Between tracks the DAC gives audible click and also a popping noise from speakers. Enough to ruin listening experience
Sometimes this occurs when the bitrate changes. Depends on the DAC I had a Allo Boss that did that.

expiaigle

i might be late here, but i have the same issue and looked around and after a while i said f*** it and just removed the audio engine d1, i guess it was just hardware issue, i use the computer port now and lets be honest, anything is better than poping and crack noise and sudden PWSHSHSHSHHS sounds out of nowhere. Ive tried a lot of other method to solve the issue, nothing works besides using the jack port of the pc.

jmillar

Spidif/Toslink has aged badly and has become a relic. In the meantime USB tech has evolved at a quick clip and become quasi universal. Whenever I read about Spidif/Toslink it is usually about problems, rarely solutions.

Last edited:

SJB

Issue:
Between tracks the DAC gives audible click and also a popping noise from speakers. Enough to ruin listening experience.

Tried:
Reverted back to using the AUX out and bypassing the DAC = works fine.
Same issue if I use a different USB power source
If I take the WiiM out the mix and use a PC as input = works fine with no clicks when playing tracks.

Setup:
  • Airplay from iPhones, typically Substreamer or Doppler, but have tried other apps like YouTube - same issue.
  • WiiM connected to Audioengine D1 DAC via SPDIF
  • DAC powered from Audioengine A1 USB

Any suggestions before I start thinking about changing hardware?

index.php
I´m using the DAC in the WiiM Pro going straight to a power amp, and I get pops between tracks using the WiiM interface, but not when I use Tidal Connect directly to the WiiM.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I´m using the DAC in the WiiM Pro going straight to a power amp, and I get pops between tracks using the WiiM interface, but not when I use Tidal Connect directly to the WiiM.
That sounds like when the bitrate is changing. many DAC’s suffer from that.

BGLeduc

Dealing with the same issue now with a WiiM Pro running into a Schiit Modi 3+. Same issue using Coax or Optical. I am using jRiver as my server.

Top Bottom