• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poor SINAD amplifiers for sub usage a question or two!

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On many of Amir's reviews we see that he mentions the use of these poor measuring SINAD amplifiers for subwoofer usage. But I am curious to what frequency range this is?

I mean can I use a poor measuring amplifier up say about 1000hz? I am presuming no but I thought ill ask just to get a better picture.

Of course this is for biamping and the woofer in question is the midrange.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1000 Hz is a bit high for a sub. Did you mean 100 Hz? If then, yes.

If you meant 1000 Hz for the woofer, then it would depend on the actual SINAD. If it is less than -60dB, probably you won't notice anything.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
1000 Hz is a bit high for a sub. Did you mean 100 Hz? If then, yes.

If you meant 1000 Hz for the woofer, then it would depend on the actual SINAD. If it is less than -60dB, probably you won't notice anything.

No, the sub was just an intro to my question to bring up the topic of how a low measuring amps can be used for sub usage.

My use is for a midrange between 100hz and 1000hz. I am tossing up between a cheap Chinese powerful amplifier or a coff up and go for something like the NC500. Of course going for the Ncore is superior and I will ultimately aim for that goal, but curious if its a make or break?

So, ultimately I am curious if the statement made about using low measuring amps for sub can also be for midrange usage?

If you say it depends on the SINAD, I suppose it depends how bad the SINAD is.

You mention -60db but don't you mean if over 60db then its inaudible?

Eetu

Forum Donor
No, the sub was just an intro to my question to bring up the topic of how a low measuring amps can be used for sub usage.

My use is for a midrange between 100hz and 1000hz. I am tossing up between a cheap Chinese powerful amplifier or a coff up and go for something like the NC500. Of course going for the Ncore is superior and I will ultimately aim for that goal, but curious if its a make or break?

So, ultimately I am curious if the statement made about using low measuring amps for sub can also be for midrange usage?

If you say it depends on the SINAD, I suppose it depends how bad the SINAD is.

You mention -60db but don't you mean if over 60db then its inaudible?
Our hearing is very sensitive in the 2-5 kHz range, you can get away with more distortion the lower you go.
Screenshot_20201105_094721.jpg

The (mid)woofers likely have way more distortion than the amps in question. I would be more concerned with possible noise, but since it's not tweeter hiss should be less noticeable if there. Again depends exactly how bad the amp is..

Top Bottom