• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pool & patio speakers

Venture4663

Looking to upgrade a pool/patio area with some decent outdoor speakers, the current cheap as chips no-name ones that came with the home purchase are rather lacking in terms of volume and bass. I don't need PA volume levels, its a medium size residence, and would like to retain intelligibility and musicality.
Ideally would be driving these with a 100W Denon HEOS amp to make life easy.
Are there any respected go to brands for these kind of things?

AudiOhm

I found most like music in the background, nice but not overwhelming, if they are looking for HiFi audio serve more drinks...

Ohms

Brofeld

You didn't specify a budget. How about these? Might need a sub though.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL Control Series. They are tough, difficult to fry due to having a bulb internally for protection and they have a rubberized cabinet.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If have PSB CS1000’s at my pool and cottage. They are great. Also have some Def Tech AW6500’s which are pretty good but I prefer the PSB’s. I have a pair of JBL Control 30’s in my shop but they’re pretty big for around the pool, lol.

OP
V

Venture4663

This is great stuff, thank you folks. JBL Contractor 20/30 series looks to have some suitable products.

mglobe

Forum Donor
When I bought my home, it had a pair of Bose 251 speakers mounted on the pool deck and speaker wires running into the house. I hooked them up to a Sonos amp, and am actually pretty happy with them. For the purpose they are fine. Later I put in a gazebo on the other end of the pool deck, and wired it for power. I put a Sonos 5 just below the gazebo roof where it is out of the direct line of rain. The 5 is rated for moist environments, so figured it might work. It's been there for two years, and is still kicking. Sounds great. I'm going to add a second one so we have stereo there. Who knows how long it will last, but so far so good. I can group both sets of speakers with Roon, which is really nice.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking to upgrade a pool/patio area with some decent outdoor speakers, the current cheap as chips no-name ones that came with the home purchase are rather lacking in terms of volume and bass. I don't need PA volume levels, its a medium size residence, and would like to retain intelligibility and musicality.
Ideally would be driving these with a 100W Denon HEOS amp to make life easy.
Are there any respected go to brands for these kind of things?
This is a great speaker
Amir reviewed it here:
I wouldn't hesitate to use it indoors or outdoors. 8 inch woofer is nice.
I have the JBL Control 29 av-1. It works well and Amir also reviewed it. It sounds fine outdoors on the deck, but the Revel will sound better IMO.
JBL Review

Both have very good mounting systems included.

Godataloss

I use Google's nest audio speakers (4) and just put them under flower pots to protect them from the elements when not in use. They do some sort of voodoo where they listen to each other and automagically adjust volume. They seem to bee quite robust. They respond to voice commands which is nice.

SKBubba

I have psb cs500. They sound great. Had to play around with positining. Better away from side walls, ceilings and corners. Also better oriented vertically.

Also have a pair of Best Buy "exclusive" Polk Patio 200. They are basically the same as Polk Atrium 5, but were about $50 cheaper. They sound great for the money. (The Atrium 5 are on sale for less than the Patio 200 now.)

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spec outdoor speakers for my clients' homes regularly. There are some very exotic and costly options available, but B&W's simple AM-1s are reasonably compact, rather elegant looking for a box, and sound surprisingly good. They are not inexpensive, but reasonable for what they are.

B&W AM-1.png

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
I’m on my second pair of Yamaha AS-AW350 on our exposed lanai under the eaves. Only reason it’s the second pair is due to multiple hurricanes and tropical storms beating them up appearance wise. They functioned fine despite the 100+ mph winds, rain and salt air.

I’ve used a few different amps, currently using a Fosi BT20A so visitors can hook in with their phones easy.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have psb cs500. They sound great. Had to play around with positining. Better away from side walls, ceilings and corners. Also better oriented vertically.
Yes, and imo that’s one the PSB’s advantages over some others, that and their great sound. I have cs1000’s and having a mount that allows pan and tilt is very advantageous I think. The CS1000’s also cover much more frequency range than most similar sized outdoor passive speakers. (45hz-23khz +-3dB)
92DA419D-E14A-4D0D-9055-980C69645A54.jpeg

mflick333

I'm looking to do the same thing, place speakers around a pool and patio area that's pretty expansive. I was looking at using these:

Klipsch AWR-650-SM
+ 2 sonos amps.

I can update here when I finally finish meanwhile if anyone has any experience w/ these speakers would love to hear about it. One reason I avoided some of the other models mentioned above is because I don't have great spots to mound them and these Klipsch "rocks" solve for that.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
These Dayton Audio 6.5" 2 way are really great speakers and will save you lots of money. Surprising good low end. I have been driving 2 pairs hard for over 6 years along with a 10" powered Dayton Audio sub-woofer and many guests have said it is the best sounding outdoor system they have ever heard.

I drive both pairs with a Vintage Carver M-400t and have them wired in series to keep my amp in check.

MJC310

IMG_8432.jpeg
IMG_8429.jpeg
I have a pair of Jamo IO5 ($70) Crutchfield or Amazon and they are excellent. I use them with a Fosi Audio TB10D, SMSL SU-1 & Wiim mini packed into a waterproof electrical box (purchased on Amazon). Very small footprint and sound great together.

Top Bottom