• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

POLL: Which speakers would you pick here for listening to Music & Youtube on PC. (KRK, Kali, JBL)

Which speakers would you pick here for listening to Music & Youtube. KRK, Kali, JBL

• KRK ROKIT 5 G4 + KRK Sub ($749)

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Kali Audio IN-UNF ($599)

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Audioengine A2+ ($269)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • JBL 305P MkII ($300)

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Adam T8V ($600)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • just show me the results

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

murkr

I'm looking to get some new speakers to connect into my RME ADI-2 DAC that is connected to my desktop computer.
I don't produce music. I just want a pair of speakers that will sound great with both low and high-quality sources.
Please vote on one of the selections in this poll.

Use case & Requirements:
  • EDM & Rap music on Spotify.
  • Low-quality source Youtube videos.
  • Must have no humming/noise when the volume is 0.
  • Speakers will be arms-length away (desktop speakers)
  • I don't like when speakers make the sound hollow or tinny.
  • I live in a townhouse with neighbors nearby so I don't want something with a lot of bass.
My main choices are between the (KRK ROKIT 5 G4 + KRK Sub) and the (Kali Audio IN-UNF). Though I worry since the Kali IN-UNF is so new people may not want to vote for it since they haven't listened to it yet. The reviews on those Kali IN-UNF state the bass will not upset your neighbors so that sounds like a good selling point for me.

EDIT: I meant to type Adam T5V since the T8V would be too big for my desk.

Last edited:

komhst

KRK Rokit 5 4th generation are great speakers. The addition of the sub makes a great value for money package.

Audioengine A2+ are NOT active speakers. They are just powered speakers. There is a great difference between active and powered speakers.

Last edited:

zipjip

almost certainly I would pick the unf the near field is what it was designed for. It was also mentioned that the it was designed specifically for low noise bleed (idk actual term for ultra directional (beaming?)) for apartments and dorm rooms and the such. Also the desk bass unit was designed for no vibrations. Having no requirements for room treatment and coaxial benefits of phase is a nice bonus.

The unf seems to be custom made for your use case lol only issue is that there is no decent spinorama measurements though I wouldn't care much since kali audio has never really made a bad measuring product and linearity for cheap seems like their thing.

No humming/noise is high end monitor exclusive

Save for Neumann/Genelec

KRK Rokit 5 4th generation are great speakers. The addition of the sub makes a great value for money package.

Audioengine A2+ are NOT active speakers. They are just powered speakers. There is a great difference between active and powered speakers.
what is that great difference?

D

Deleted member 60987

Haven't heard Kali though they are supposed to be excellent. I would say Adam, but for EDM or Rap maybe Rokit. They have a wide port that will probably reproduce bass better. So for mids or highs, like rock, classical or jazz, Adam with those ribbon tweeters. For dance music, Rokit.

komhst

what is that great difference?
Powered speakers have only one amplifier for both drivers, woofer and tweeter. The amplifier has to deal with the whole acoustical spectrum and the crossover dividing network is after the amplifier, between the amplifier's output and the drivers. It's like having a typical system with passive speakers. The only difference is that instead of having the amplifier in a separate case, it is placed in one of the two speaker cabinets.

In the active speakers the crossover is at the line level signal before the amplifiers. Active speakers have two separate amplifiers, one for each driver (or three if it's a three way system). Each amplifier has to deal only with the frequencies concerning the relative driver, not with the whole acoustical spectrum. No circuitry is interposed between the amplifier's output and the driver.

There is a huge difference between the two implementations.

Sukram

M-audio BX8 D3 if you can get them, cheap but excellent (i own them; Amir tested them)
Abacus Mirra 14 same league as Hartmann. German website Euro 2,999.00 pair

Top Bottom