• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember, in a village close to Kananaskis country (close to Banff, Calgary, Alberta, Canada), there was an Ice cream shop.
Those guys had a world map on the wall, with a box full of colored pins.
They asked to pin where you were from.
The world map was full of colors, all over the place.
That was pre-web age. (1995-6?)

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I remember, in a village close to Kananaskis country (close to Banff, Calgary, Alberta, Canada), there was an Ice cream shop.
Those guys had a world map on the wall, with a box full of colored pins.
They asked to pin where you were from.
The world map was full of colors, all over the place.
That was pre-web age. (1995-6?)
Always liked those, especially the ones in small out-of-the-way shops.

Reactions: PSO
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the first 146 votes, a majority of Europeans, surprisingly:

20191119_174837.jpg

Willem

Major Contributor
It does not totally surprise me. I have often thought that the extremes of audiophool madness are a very American thing, related to US levels of social inequality. For a while I also posted on Audiogon and that was an almost entirely American community. I may have this wrong of coursr as it would demand proper sociological research.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have often thought that the extremes of audiophool madness are a very American thing, related to US levels of social inequality.
Don't want to turn this political, but I'd say social inequality exist in many "developed" and "developing" countries, if not all. Also, there's a ton of extreme audiophools in France, Japan, Russia, China... wherever you want, actually.;)
I may have this wrong of coursr as it would demand proper sociological research.
On a science forum: definitely!;)

Willem

Major Contributor
Sure but my observation was no more but also no less than a hypothesis that invokes a known fact: US (and UK for that matter) social inequity is substantially greater than that in continental Europe. My hypothesis is that this may be part of the explanation.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure but my observation was no more but also no less than a hypothesis that invokes a known fact: US (and UK for that matter) social inequity is substantially greater than that in continental Europe. My hypothesis is that this may be part of the explanation.
Some measurements here.
https://wir2018.wid.world/
Don't know how reliable this is though...

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think so too. A big part of the reason for why audiophilia went south was that guys with too much money started to realize that they could differentiate themselves socially from others by spending insane amounts of money on audio thingies. Then the high end manufacturers naturally started to cater to that need, and abandoned honesty tests with their products.

This mechanism can also explain why much of the high end market for audio bling has moved to Asia, where there's been a strong rise in inequality lately, and lots of guys who feel the need to differentiate themselves from others through buying expensive thingies.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, the early members were from UK, Australia and Canada and of course US. So we started multi-national from the start.

Today, US dominates but the rest of the world is also highly represented:
View attachment 39018

And top 10 rankings:
View attachment 39020

Note that these are all visitors rather than just members so it will be different than your poll.

I can understand the UK being in second place. They almost speak the same language. :)

Ceburaska

Forum Donor

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I can understand the UK being in second place. They almost speak the same language. :)
We are a vocal minority in our own language...a bit like Spaniards!

Top Bottom