• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I ignorantly thought the question was existential... rather than geographic
*blushes

Forgive... I'm not one to judge these things. Physics or Metaphysics...
Weighing Options GIFs | Tenor

At least we aren't talking about
iu
-physics. :p

antcollinet

Master Contributor
What does surprise me about the survey is the number of EU members... I had assumed it would be all USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!

Good to see Oceania punching above its weight

Peter
You know the population of Europe (we're not showing EU here) is double that of USA, don't you?

(Bloody yanks :p)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am from here, somewhere in deepest darkest New Zealand:

View attachment 272997

Live at the top of a one lane road that handles two way traffic... luckily the number of cars per day going up or down is low.

About 100m up from me the road ends and what is left is a gravel road that is used as a fire break/rural fire service access

The house is about 600m above sea level but where I am it is temperate so seldom get snow.

The great thing is:

1- being a rural location ambient noise is very low so my listening room is dead quiet
2- I am about 12km away from a major power substation and with no industrial/commercial activity in the area power is quite clean

Peter
Seems like exactly how I prefer to live.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Current Location: Here. From: There. How I got from There to Here... I will never fully comprehend... but can't stop obsessively asking myself.
Yes, exactly! How do I know that I am here? Because I am not there? How did I get here from there? Still working on that one: both geographically and existentially (14 trips through the Panama canal, 17 years gone & I am back within 12 miles of where I started from, a place that I never wanted to come back to). Many questions.

fatoldgit

There isn't more of us, we just like voting in polls ;)

Actually I'm in Europe but not in the EU. Quite a few countries in Europe are not in the EU.

Sure... was just saving power by shortening EUrope to EU but didnt mean EU as in European Union... especially given the context where the poll map refers to EUrope.

I am obviously aware of who is and isnt in the EU. For example Britain*** United Kingdom used to be but isnt now... but that still leaves the 'Irish Question" in regard to Northern Ireland/Southern Ireland and that magical line drawn down the Irish Sea and all the English sausage makers who cant export to Northern Ireland due to the existing Brexit rules. One would assume, should they exist, that Welsh and Scottish sausage makers are equally affected but they dont seem to make the news.

As an example of my geopolitical awareness.:cool:

Peter

***. Bugger I did it again.. Should have said United Kingdom (UK) and not Britain which could be construed as Great Britain which is a geographic construct that doesnt include any part of Ireland

Last edited:

fatoldgit

You know the population of Europe (we're not showing EU here) is double that of USA, don't you?

(Bloody yanks :p)

If you are lumping me in with Yanks you are sadly mistaken... I am in fact from a small Pacific island at the bottom of the world that once was the fear of the Rugby world but not so much now.

We hope to improve this situation when we boot out 'Fozzie' after this years Rugby World Cup and get in a real coach who goes by the name of 'Razor'.

The nicknames couldnt be more appropriate: Employee a guy named after a likeable Clown from the Muppets and your get a circus, employ a guy who is as sharp as a razor with a cut throat mentality and you will get the results.

Roll on 2024!!!.

Peter

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If you are lumping me in with Yanks.....

Peter
Now you have my serious apologies. I assumed your USA, USA...... chant was perhaps some trumpian thing :D

Good luck with re-coaching your Rugby team.

PS for the benefit of any yanks: over here yank is sort of a generic term for any USAnian. Depending on context it can be used disparagingly - however, I was using it in the friendly/cordial form which I hoped to convey with an emoticon. :)

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now you have my serious apologies. I assumed your USA, USA...... chant was perhaps some trumpian thing :D

Good luck with re-coaching your Rugby team.

PS for the benefit of any yanks: over here yank is sort of a generic term for any USAnian. Depending on context it can be used disparagingly - however, I was using it in the friendly/cordial form which I hoped to convey with an emoticon. :)
I was concieved in Charleston, SC and born in Salzburg, Austria. I both cases, I am called a Southerner (south part of the USA, South of Germany) and sometimes a Rebel (which, for me, may be appropriate in it's actual meaning, as I tend to do what restorer johns motto says. (Ricky Roma: I subscribe to the law of contrary public opinion... If everyone thinks one thing, then I say, bet the other way...)!
But these are just descriptors:
(although I do not have the USA southern accent), sometimes it doesn't fit. USA Southerners (and everyone else in the USA) wonders what part of the USA I'm from (with an Austrian mother who spoke the Kings English when I was a child and a father who spoke a localized old Charleston speech pattern), my speech patterns & accent sound like neither one. And same for my German speech patterns (having spent a lot of time in Austria also, when growing up). But Austrians hear my speech patterns of the German language and wonder were I learned it and Germans just wonder what is wrong with me.
As long as I can get my point across (you know, like asking for some Salzburger Nockerl and coffee in Austria, some bratwurst and beer in Germany and some BBQ and fixin's in the Southern USA), I'm happy! Just to complicate things even more, I married (in 2005) a Chinese women that had been living in Oceana (Saipan) were I had moved to in 2003.
Again, it's all just descriptors (like trying to categorize people like genre's of music [sometimes it's right, usually it's just sorta' right] {and sometimes totally wrong}).
Hopefully no offense is meant and no offense is taken. But some people are peculiar about it.

Noske

I was born in a crossfire hurricane
And I howled at my ma in the drivin' rain.

Australia. Australia doesn't have hurricanes; some British bloke penned those lines.

Reactions: EJ3

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS for the benefit of any yanks: over here yank is sort of a generic term for any USAnian. Depending on context it can be used disparagingly - however, I was using it in the friendly/cordial form which I hoped to convey with an emoticon
Doesn't bother us Tony. we know there are love/hate and hate/hate relationships with us among other nations but still they take our investments, aid and watch our movies. ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Doesn't bother us Tony. we know there are love/hate and hate/hate relationships with us among other nations but still they take our investments, aid and watch our movies. ;)
There is no hate - either with or without love in my relationships with USAnians. (Except perhaps towards some brands of extremist gun toting nutjobs)

Both my Sister and Mother are citizens, as was my Dad. Everyone I have met over there has been universally lovely. Sometimes strange but always lovely.

You do have very good movies. But so do we. Just not as many of them. ;)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yep no hate here either, love the USA and have spent a lot of time there. I'd live there if I could. Although it would have to be in one of the warmer states.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yep no hate here either, love the USA and have spent a lot of time there. I'd live there if I could. Although it would have to be in one of the warmer states.
Warm! Why I have a home in Guam (right now staying in Charleston, SC USA [too cold, but my 89 year old mother is here and I am an only child, so here I am]) but my wife & I own our home in Guam.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Warm! Why I have a home in Guam (right now staying in Charleston, SC USA [too cold, but my 89 year old mother is here and I am an only child, so here I am]) but my wife & I own our home in Guam.
can see why you think SC is cold if you are used to Guam, but it's almost tropical compared to where I live.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can see why you think SC is cold if you are used to Guam, but it's almost tropical compared to where I live.
My actual legal residence was Saipan from 2003-2018 (during that time it never went below 73 F [& it's average daily temperature change is 8 degrees F, High temp can be 96 {never saw it that high, though}). It was my base for my travels then, but we bought a place in Guam in 2007 (I was not there very often). I was all over Asia & Oceana, from Diego Garcia down to Fremantle, Australia and most everything in between. & spent part of the winter every year in S. Korea (winter there sucks). Okinawa was probably the best place I liked, weather wise, as far as the Asian Islands go, Thailand (away from the big cities) was my overall favorite country, Singapore is nice but I like more rural (I would have probably liked it better when it was a possibility for a big cat to show up in a bar), China, I was only in big cities, so NO! (perhaps more suburban or rural qould be more to my liking. In my earlier life, I was in Europe 9 times for varying periods of time, with Salzburg, Austria as my base. I got to England a couple of times, passing through by ship (South Hampton or the London Airports) but never really got to see any of it. Same with Ireland, passed through the Shannon airport.

Last edited:
Top Bottom