• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

middlemarch

Forum Donor
From Indianola, WA, about 10 miles NW of downtown Seattle (but a lot of deep, cold water between here and there). Lived here about 23 years.

But I wanted to comment on the Belgian language discussion, which piqued my interest. I was born in the Netherlands, in Friesland province (left for the US 61 years ago), which has it's own language as well, but it seems to be hanging on and doing reasonably well. It has official recognition and street signs are in both Friesian and Dutch, etc. But hey, it seems everyone in the Netherlands speaks English better than many native English speakers (especially here in the states...)

Interesting to see all the Dutch members here

FlyingFreak

Located in CA, USA. From Brussels, Belgium, which I tend to leave and come back to... been 5 years in the States, we'll see.
Would rather not get into Belgian language discussion :p

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Picardia (where Hainaut is a part of) is also where the Frankish empire, that led to the country of France began after the fall of the Roman Empire.
And, later, to the South-East of Belgium.
Like Pepin Le Bref, who may be born in Jupille-sur-Meuse, a strategic roman place (his grand-father was named Pepin de Herstal, from the city just on the other side of the river, and his father, Charles Martel, is said to be born in Andenne, 40km away).

His son, Carolus Magnus, is known to have created a huge empire accross what will later be west Germany, the Netherlands, north of Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and France, around 800 AC.

The legend also says he invented school.
But this is obviously just a legend:)

711px-Empire_carolingien_768-811.jpg

(Source: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empire_carolingien_768-811.jpg)

(Incidentally, I've been working most of my carrier in Jupille-sur-Meuse.)

Last edited:

Pablo27

Good old Yorkshire in the UK here. It's nice to know ASR is such a 'broad church' . I have you say I was surprised that the majority f posters were not from the U.S.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Located in CA, USA. From Brussels, Belgium, which I tend to leave and come back to... been 5 years in the States, we'll see.
Would rather not get into Belgian language discussion :p
Can’t say I blame you was harangued by a Walloon in Bruge about how much he hated half the Belgian population. Though some Scots are hyper critical of the English, he was as bad as it comes. Proved bigotry seems to be universal unfortunately.
Born in Lancashire now live in Suffolk via Zambia and Libya.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
was harangued by a Walloon in Bruge about how much he hated half the Belgian population.
You'll find that in both directions.
There is some historical background to that that most of those people don't even know.
French, by the way, was a foreign language for all in Belgium in the mid 19th century.

fatoldgit

I am from here, somewhere in deepest darkest New Zealand:

1679203711741.png

Live at the top of a one lane road that handles two way traffic... luckily the number of cars per day going up or down is low.

About 100m up from me the road ends and what is left is a gravel road that is used as a fire break/rural fire service access

The house is about 600m above sea level but where I am it is temperate so seldom get snow.

The great thing is:

1- being a rural location ambient noise is very low so my listening room is dead quiet
2- I am about 12km away from a major power substation and with no industrial/commercial activity in the area power is quite clean

Peter

Last edited:

fatoldgit

What does surprise me about the survey is the number of EU members... I had assumed it would be all USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!

Good to see Oceania punching above its weight

Peter

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does surprise me about the survey is the number of EU members... I had assumed it would be all USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!

Peter
It's a very international group. That's a good thing.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Peter
There isn't more of us, we just like voting in polls ;)

Actually I'm in Europe but not in the EU. Quite a few countries in Europe are not in the EU.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Current Location: Here. From: There. How I got from There to Here... I will never fully comprehend... but can't stop obsessively asking myself.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Possibly an act of compulsion? Perhaps you just kept putting one foot in front of the other? Just trying to help out. ;)

smirking-face_1f60f.png
I ignorantly thought the question was existential... rather than geographic, sorry. Location: Here. (Thank you Pai Mai)

Top Bottom