• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
more than twice the population and almost all speak english
Both are, actually ... not true. ;) Europe is not twice the population of North America and no, certainly not "almost all" people here are speaking English.
might be americans just voting less than
Or might just be "more" audiophiles in Europe than in North America, whatever English speaking or not ? Do you think folks on ASR are representative of any "regular" people in both North America or Europe? Way too many parameters here...

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both are, actually ... not true. ;) Europe is not twice the population of North America and no, certainly not "almost all" people here are speaking English.

Or might just be "more" audiophiles in Europe than in North America, whatever English speaking or not ? Do you think folks on ASR are representative of any "regular" people in both North America or Europe? Way too many parameters here...
In the 70's & 80's there were various audio/video/computer clubs here in Charleston, South Carolina. And at least 2 very good Audio Stores (Read Brothers Stereo and British American Sound). I left to live on islands in the Indian Ocean & Oceana from 2001-2018. I came back to Charleston, SC to help my mother. And in 3 years here, have found no serious Audio stores and no serious audio people (even though the population has drastically increased).

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And in 3 years here, have found no serious Audio stores and no serious audio people (even though the population has drastically increased).
For the most part, nobody cares about audio anymore. Outside of a few forums and the few readers of the couple of magazines that exist it's just not on people's radar. As has been stated elsewhere people get their music in other, vastly more convenient ways.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the most part, nobody cares about audio anymore. Outside of a few forums and the few readers of the couple of magazines that exist it's just not on people's radar. As has been stated elsewhere people get their music in other, vastly more convenient ways.
Yes, the same type of people who tell me (when they come over to my home "Oh your sound system is soooo good but the speakers are too big, how come you have subwoofers with a separate amp, what do you need an amp for each channel for?" all in the same breath. And how come I can't Bluetooth my MP3 files to your system from my phone. Because my desktop computer is sending the files via APT X from upstairs to the stereo downstairs so that I can enjoy my music, not yours. Convenience? I want to make sure that only I use my system. So it is intentionally inconvenient. Just like my cars. My car has zero capability of playing music and in my wife's car (even though it has a fantastic sound system) she won't allow anyone to play audio (not even herself). As for me, if it doesn't sound great, I don't listen to it. And I won't lie to people that have speakers 1/2 the size of my palm & try to get me to say how great they are. They are not.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
You will be surprised but in fact very few people speaks English in greater Europe. In some countries many do speak English but they are in the minority.

I’m not sure you can look at that map and conclude that ‘very few’ can speak English. In a good number over 50% speak the language, and there are only a small handful where fewer than 30% speak it. I would call 30% ‘very few’

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure you can look at that map and conclude that ‘very few’ can speak English. In a good number over 50% speak the language, and there are only a small handful where fewer than 30% speak it. I would call 30% ‘very few’
I guess that 90% learns in high school englische in europe. That will not imply that they can talk or understand englische flawlesly. In Holland 2 foreign languases are recuired to learn in high school atleast the first 3 years when i was in my teens.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I guess that 90% learns in high school englische in europe. That will not imply that they can talk or understand englische flawlesly. In Holland 2 foreign languases are recuired to learn in high school atleast the first 3 years when i was in my teens.

Even given that, I don’t think the phrase ‘very few’ is accurate.

I’m happy to make that point generally, and in conjunction with your comments.

But my original point was that you couldn’t possibly use the phrase ‘very few’ whilst using that map & link as evidence.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed my vote from Europe to Asia given that we are now living in Singapore. No idea if we will stay forever, go back to England at some point or go somewhere else. At the moment we are still in the honeymoon period and loving it here

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know about now but when I was in high school in Charleston, South Carolina (1975 Graduating class) we were required to take at least a semester of a foreign language. Our choices were English & French. Since I could already speak, read & write, German, I did not have to but I took French anyway. I don't remember but a few words of that. But I have kept up somewhat my German. I was concieved in Charleston but born in Salzburg, Austria. To communicate with about half of my relatives German is useful. I never knew anyone that spoke French so never kept it up.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess that 90% learns at high school englische in europe. That will not imply that they can talk or understand englische flawlesly.
Correct.
I’m not sure you can look at that map and conclude that ‘very few’ can speak English. In a good number over 50% speak the language, and there are only a small handful where fewer than 30% speak it
This map does not say that 30, 50, 60 or whatever % actually do speak fluent English (30-49% in France? Absolutely no way:p). It is an estimation of "knowledge of English" as a second language (except for Republic of Ireland).
I never knew anyone that spoke French so never kept it up.
On peut arranger ça !

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

But my original point was that you couldn’t possibly use the phrase ‘very few’ whilst using that map & link as evidence

But my original point was that you couldn’t possibly use the phrase ‘very few’ whilst using that map & link as evidence.
My impression is that after high school let say the middle an higher education studies, most study books are englische written. So that part of the population is well known with englische i guess in Holland 50%.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys can find something in a post to argue. It is very interesting to see your desire to argue for the sake of arguing.

HansHolland

My impression is that after high school let say the middle an higher education studies, most study books are englische written. So that part of the population is well known with englische i guess in Holland 50%.
Yes. And nowadays children start at the age of 4 with English lessons (at least the village school here around the corner).
40 years ago I got only for 4 years lessons in English at a low quality. And my study books were in German.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. And nowadays children start at the age of 4 with English lessons (at least the village school here around the corner).
40 years ago I got only for 4 years lessons in English at a low quality. And my study books were in German.

I could remember (late 70ties) that my study books some where in German an English. But there was a difference between normal an technical English or German i recall we had special lesson to understand these kind of grammar putting these technical words in contexts in a sentence. We needed a special Webster dictionary.

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Yes, the same type of people who tell me (when they come over to my home "Oh your sound system is soooo good but the speakers are too big, how come you have subwoofers with a separate amp, what do you need an amp for each channel for?" all in the same breath. And how come I can't Bluetooth my MP3 files to your system from my phone. Because my desktop computer is sending the files via APT X from upstairs to the stereo downstairs so that I can enjoy my music, not yours. Convenience? I want to make sure that only I use my system. So it is intentionally inconvenient. Just like my cars. My car has zero capability of playing music and in my wife's car (even though it has a fantastic sound system) she won't allow anyone to play audio (not even herself). As for me, if it doesn't sound great, I don't listen to it. And I won't lie to people that have speakers 1/2 the size of my palm & try to get me to say how great they are. They are not.
Audiophile level: Autocrat OCD
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom