• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 50971

Curiously large number of Europeans here! Interesting, I assumed it was (still) NA-dominated. Or may it have to do with time zones, the Americans might not be online now?
That was my thoughts exactly, and I’ve been watching this forum for close to two years before I joined. A large number of Europeans, and I think that’s great, as well as others from all over the world.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I've lived all my life in Wallonia and Brussels and this is a complete invention. No one speaks regional languages in everyday life. No one. They're as dead as the dead sea.
I'm sorry, but i do live in Wallonia, and lived on several places and regiona languages are very alive. But the upperclass does not like it and deny it's existence like you do. But come to the farmer villages or the popular quartiers in the big cities and try to speak to the people...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
As VintageFlanker said, there are differences between languages (breton, corse, catalan, basque), dialect (or regional languages such as Oc and Oil) and patois (derived from dialects, such as Chti, but there are many others). There are some school who teach languages outside of Bretagne, just a lot less.

The first World War made French a requirement : they needed to make regiment from different region because people couldn't understand each other and/or their superiors... Before that, the French was indeed pushed a lot, but after the wars, government always recognised languages/dialect/patois as part of France. And even more so recently.

But I have to agree sometimes "higher class", if there is any, will mock people speaking their language, but they are surely not the majority.
The Great War pushed the accelerator, but it was Napoleon the first one who realized that need. In part, the lycée system was created for that (well, and to educate able bureaucrats for a state with a growing need of them, but that can be said from most historical education reforms in Europe). Jacobins before him also considered the need due to, well, everyone declaring war on the French Republic and thus, the need of soldiers.

If it was not implemented before, was due to that French tradition in the XIX century of organizing barricades and tearing down the goverment arround every ten to twenty years. :D

Darvis

I'm sorry, but i do live in Wallonia, and lived on several places and regiona languages are very alive. But the upperclass does not like it and deny it's existence like you do. But come to the farmer villages or the popular quartiers in the big cities and try to speak to the people...
I live 45km away from you, in the country. There are a mere 318k persons still having some notions of Walloon. And, as you can imagine, the average age is very high. It's on its way out.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I live 45km away from you, in the country. There are a mere 318k persons still having some notions of Walloon. And, as you can imagine, the average age is very high. It's on its way out.
On the Island that I hang out on there are approximately 60K of people. The 3 national language's are English (US mainland West Coast style, There are a few that don't speak it), Chamorro (about 15K speak it & it is becoming more popular amount the young hipster types. I expect that 20K will be the number in 5 years) & Carolinian, which seems to be stable at about 15K. Based on the Chamorro language, I would not count out a comeback of an older, almost forgotten language, among the younger folk.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I think you're giving way too much credit to the "upperclass". I'm curious to know how exactly do you see this "existence denying" operating in real world? More to the point, what exactly would "upperclass" need to do in order for some other language to go on living/come back/not die? Is there someone to be addressed?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More to the point, what exactly would "upperclass" need to do in order for some other language to go on living/come back/not die? Is there someone to be addressed?
This s what they did in Wales to preserve the Welsh language:

On 7 December 2010, the Welsh Assembly unanimously approved a set of measures to develop the use of the Welsh language within Wales.[64][65] On 9 February 2011 this measure, the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011, was passed and received Royal Assent, thus making the Welsh language an officially recognised language within Wales. The measure:

• confirms the official status of the Welsh language
  • creates a new system of placing duties on bodies to provide services through the medium of Welsh
  • creates a Welsh Language Commissioner with strong enforcement powers to protect the rights of Welsh-speaking people to access services through the medium of Welsh
  • establishes a Welsh Language Tribunal
  • gives individuals and bodies the right to appeal decisions made in relation to the provision of services through the medium of Welsh
  • creates a Welsh Language Partnership Council to advise Government on its strategy in relation to the Welsh language
  • allows for an official investigation by the Welsh Language Commissioner of instances where there is an attempt to interfere with the freedom of Welsh-speaking people to use the language with one another[66]
Even parking fines and penalty charge notices incurred within the borders of Wales come in both languages, despite there being no-one in Wales who is not fluent in English.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Reactions: EJ3

gnat_leader

In general, the total price of anything is doubled, and taxes are over price of products and freight :(
Is this also true for circuit boards like computer motherboards and audio amplifier boards that are unfinished products and full-on electronic kits of resistors, capacitors, etc?
If the tax varies depending on the type of product, do you know where the tax rates are published?

CristianoLO

Is this also true for circuit boards like computer motherboards and audio amplifier boards that are unfinished products and full-on electronic kits of resistors, capacitors, etc?
If the tax varies depending on the type of product, do you know where the tax rates are published?
For the final consumer, the federal import tax is 60% and is levied on the value of the product plus the cost of shipping.
After this, there are still state taxes, which are levied on the amount of the previous value and can reach 30%, depending on the state and type of product.
Example...
Product costs $100, shipping costs $20
Federal tax = 120*0.6 = $72.00
Considering state tax of 30%... (120+72)*0.3 = $57.60
Total taxes = $72.00+57.60 = $129.60
Total of your buy = $249.60
:facepalm:

For the large industry, taxation changes a lot, I can't say how it works.
Laws are chaotic.

gnat_leader

For the final consumer, the federal import tax is 60% and is levied on the value of the product plus the cost of shipping.
After this, there are still state taxes, which are levied on the amount of the previous value and can reach 30%, depending on the state and type of product.
Example...
Product costs $100, shipping costs $20
Federal tax = 120*0.6 = $72.00
Considering state tax of 30%... (120+72)*0.3 = $57.60
Total taxes = $72.00+57.60 = $129.60
Total of your buy = $249.60
:facepalm:

For the large industry, taxation changes a lot, I can't say how it works.
Laws are chaotic.

Thanks for the info. yes... :facepalm: It's absurd. <warning> rant incoming... :D
Brazilians are too passive to put up with all the BS the way the government has setup the system of import/export and taxes.
Another example: Brazil is one of the world's top coffee and beef producers yet the cost of coffee and beef in Brazil is extremely high versus the average salary.
This is because those items are primary export products sold for dollars/euros and so that greatly raises the price locally for Brazilians.
In short, almost everything is expensive for Brazilians in BRL/reais and so the quality of life is bad and difficult.
The money being made from exports, where does it go?
To big agriculture companies and the government mostly I think. But the people/citizens don't benefit much at all as those industries don't employ very many people.
Btw I'm American not Brazilian. But I am constantly amazed that millions of people are not protesting in the streets about this shit.
They did it once in 2013 for a little while, but then nothing more. Anyway, here is not for political discussion, back to audio and music! ;-)

Top Bottom