• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Revel 226Be + sub or Revel 228Be (no sub)

Better option: Revel F226Be with sub OR Revel F228Be and no sub

• Revel 226Be + sub

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • Revel 228Be (no sub)

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Based on the ASR Nov. 11 Genelec 8361A Review, I would get two 8361A speakers instead of the Revel 226 or 228 and not worry about a sub. Genelec also has it's own EQ solution. No amps or Dac to buy saves some money as well.

It's a 50 degree dispersion instead of 70, but it looks like a nice value. @amirm also posted a video review here:
I agree. Get the genelecs ;-)

radix

Major Contributor
I have an SHD + 2x AHB2 + F228be. My room is about 3.5m (11 ft) wide and 10m (33 ft) long. The listening position is normally 3m (10 ft) from the speakers (triangle leg length) and the speakers are about 2.7m (8.8 ft) apart. Here's what REW shows for my frequency response. This is the first time I measured the FR after doing the Dirac correction. It looks like I need to fix up those 55 Hz and 90 Hz dips a bit, if I can. These measurements were done with REW connected driving the miniDSP USB port and the source and mic set to 24-bit 48 kHz.

Personally, I think I have plenty of bass (maybe even a little much).

Marc

dining_room_nov13.jpg

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
My Revel F206s as measured with REW using the MMM, taking ~60 samples without DSP:

F206 Stereo Uncorrected.png

As you can see, meaningful bass extends down to 32Hz.

With Dirac correction to 600Hz:

F206 Stereo Dirac to 600Hz.png

Many, if not most, listeners will not benefit from lower extension than that, unless they are into organs or music with a lot of electronic content.

IMHO, YMMV.

With dual subs and Audyssey showing only the bass frequencies (left only):

MMM Media Room Left F206 SB2000 Bass Frequencies 180.png

Stereo showing full FR with subs and Audyssey to 600 Hz:

MMM Stereo F206 SB2000 Audyssey 180.png

Great for movies. Not really needed for stereo music in my application.

[I don't seem to have used consistent smoothing when I took those snapshots. Apologies for that.]

Last edited:

Lsc

I don't quite understand all the arguments that the 228's would be "too big" for the room, then saying the 226's with a Sub or two would be a better fit. If the issue is loading the room with too much sound pressure or low frequency, than using a sub puts you back in the same situation of being "too big". I understand the arguments that multiple subs can help with room nodes, but it also makes setup more complicated. Plus, it greatly compounds the placement issues, in a room that is already floor space limited. I think the decision comes down to whether the OP can live happily with the limited low frequency of the 226's (which may be enough). If so, run with them. If however, he really wants deeper low frequencies than get the 228's, install some acoustic treatment and use DCR to help tame the LF room node you will have. With DCR cutting the peaks off the LF, I think you would be very happy with the bass response of just the stereo pair of 228's. Realize that both the 226 & 228 will have lower/stronger in-room response then the anechoic measurements suggest. Also, DCR will be required if you go the sub route, as well.
When I say the F228Be is too big for a small room it’s that physically the F228Be is a fairly large speaker and placing them in the room away from the side and back walls is a challenge. The F226Be is significantly smaller.

I’m not talking from a bass loading standpoint as the F228Be doesn’t dig a whole lot deeper than the F226Be. In fact, if you look at the cabinet dimensions, it sure looks like the F228Be was purposely made smaller than the F208. Probably didn’t want to cannibalize the Studio2 too much at the time.

The F226Be is a better value and potentially images better too. The F228Be (I used to own a pair) is not the Goldilocks of the group. It’s more like get the F328Be if you can and if not, get the F226Be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom