• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Poll] Is no-distortion really better than any distortion?

Is no-distortion (or below audible limits) always better for music playback than any distortion ?!

• 100% right

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • somewhat right

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • don't know

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • somewhat wrong

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 100% wrong

Votes: 15 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That is the sum of this discussion, I think. One can not address questions of preference universally for all people. One could, likely, characterize what a given person likes AT THE MINUTE. That can change, and often does, for instance when one learns to hear impairments that they previously did not notice.

If someone likes distortion, frequency shaping, time-delay aspects (i.e. phase shift), well, that's their preference, and they are entirely welcome to it. It's rude to judge someone else's preference UNTIL they try to make it universal. And there, in fact, is where the apples hit the cider mill, so to speak.
True and helpful observation , I wish everyone who signed up here read this and realised we are not ' hating' on preference.

It applies elsewhere in regards to value judgements.

However I personally have spent time consciously biasing my preference through various assumptions , can be as crude as thinking your listein to room corected sound when that button has not been pushed . Iv read people thinking they are listening to headphones when actually their speakers are on and the phones on their head are off.

The brain is all and assumption rules IME.

OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks @Thomas savage. Pretty busy week here, hope to find some time.

In the meantime, ONE LAST SHOUT: please try and post your own interpretation and conclusion.
Some possibly helpful hints:
  • this post 'clarifies' the options and how the voting went (a bit different than initially thought).
  • read the OP again, the purpose of the poll is all in there.
  • Distortion itself is one of the most complex subjects in audio-science and it is not going to be clarified/settled/solved by a poll .. or anytime soon.
  • like every other opinion poll, this one is _only_ supposed to find out what people think about the subject (Distortion) .. and about themselves .. and about each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom