• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Poll] Is no-distortion really better than any distortion?

Is no-distortion (or below audible limits) always better for music playback than any distortion ?!

• 100% right

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • somewhat right

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • don't know

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • somewhat wrong

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 100% wrong

Votes: 15 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobbooo

Major Contributor
You can safely assume that "I don't get it". And never will :). It's a 'simple' matter of psychology & philosophy: I just don't get anyone who thinks that _anything_ in this universe is known with 100% certainty. Or anyone who thinks that his opinion is worth more than others (in an opinion poll).
Anyway, just forget the above. Also forget that ABX stuff which seems to be so troublesome for you.

Just give us a link to a test which proves that a transducer does not have audible distortion.

Transducer as in "any apparatus that produces an audible sound wave". Could be any speaker, any head/earphone, any whatever. And you may define distortion as HD-only if you wish. Or even less, link an example of a test methodology which, as of AD2020, can (theoretically and practically) prove that a transducer does not have audible (H)D. I have a pretty hard time imagining how would that test go but then I am not an EE .. or any sort of audio expert.

@j_j many thanks for joining the discussion. Maybe you are aware of such a test?!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
You can safely assume that "I don't get it". And never will :). It's a 'simple' matter of psychology & philosophy: I just don't get anyone who thinks that _anything_ in this universe is known with 100% certainty. Or anyone who thinks that his opinion is worth more than others (in an opinion poll).
Anyway, just forget the above. Also forget that ABX stuff which seems to be so troublesome for you.

Just give us a link to a test which proves that a transducer does not have audible distortion.

Transducer as in "any apparatus that produces an audible sound wave". Could be any speaker, any head/earphone, any whatever. And you may define distortion as HD-only if you wish. Or even less, link an example of a test methodology which, as of AD2020, can (theoretically and practically) prove that a transducer does not have audible (H)D. I have a pretty hard time imagining how would that test go but then I am not an EE .. or any sort of audio expert.

@j_j many thanks for joining the discussion. Maybe you are aware of such a test?!

First, we'd have to define "in what space". Since speakers interact enormously with rooms, that's, well, vague is a very kindly way to put it.

Then we'd have to agree on "distortions". Do linear modifications count (i.e. they can be EQ'ed out)? In what space? Directionality. Nonlinearities only? Noise sources (air movement, voice coil air movement, port movement, buzzing of box, radiation from box, ).

Calling this "ill defined" isn't even strong enough.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The claim is that 'non-linearities' are not detrimental to the sound and would be beneficial (more warmth, more 'musical', more 'being there', more 'analog') but that's really all a belief. Someone may like it, or prefer it... that's fine. It actually IS distortion just not reaching objectionable levels.
Don't say it is better.

That is the sum of this discussion, I think. One can not address questions of preference universally for all people. One could, likely, characterize what a given person likes AT THE MINUTE. That can change, and often does, for instance when one learns to hear impairments that they previously did not notice.

If someone likes distortion, frequency shaping, time-delay aspects (i.e. phase shift), well, that's their preference, and they are entirely welcome to it. It's rude to judge someone else's preference UNTIL they try to make it universal. And there, in fact, is where the apples hit the cider mill, so to speak.

OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ray did this some time ago. So it's prior art. As is the ceiling fan jitter discovery.
I had no idea about your work and 'discovered' it independently so i'll see you both in court :)

More seriously, if this was patent-able, ESS would've done it. Seems to be 'just' a math algorithm so maybe patent a device/chip that implements it. Anyway, if anyone can figure out a practical algorithm/device, I'll donate to your kickstarter/etc.

Some previous work (with code examples):
Those tools mostly do generate HD. But if you can generate HD, you will surely learn a few things about de-generating it. This is your chance @pkane to grab back all the HD that you put out in the universe :)

I also remember reading a paper some years ago which claimed that HD-cancellation is the reason why SET amps sound so good/clean: i.e. the big HD spikes of a SET amp play a cancellation game with the ~same as big HD spikes of a speaker. Far fetched hypothesis and IIRC there were no practical examples/measurements but the math looked alright (for a non audio expert like me). Might be able to google it.

The computation seems daunting but the theory says it's possible, at least to some (usable) extent. The H2 and H3 would be easiest/fastest to remove but those are exactly the ones that you don't want to remove. And the H5+ ones that you really want out, would be much harder/complex (a point for a diff discussion/thread I guess).
I'd say the anti-HD DSP filter should be somewhat similar to a RoomCorrection filter. Just based on the measured HD of dac/amp/speaker (instead of room measurements). Or it may be more similar to noise-cancelling tech. In any case, you'll need to apply the anti-HD-filter during playback. Not sure which would be better: before or after the RC filter.

Good luck!

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is your chance @pkane to grab back all the HD that you put out in the universe :)

I was waiting for the analysis of the results of this poll to figure out if a clean up was necessary or if I needed to produce more distortion ;)

Reversing non-linear distortion caused by a simple non-linear amplitude transfer function is trivial if you know or can measure the transfer function. Any non-linearity that involves time is much harder to undo (for example where negative or positive feedback is involved).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
With HD comes IMD... the HD is not an issue at all.
It's the IMD
Frequencies are generated that were not there nor are harmonic nor do they 'enhance' anything as they are not related to music.
The IMD is the issue not the HD.

When you build amps with very low distortion (you know the ones that aren't preferred with 100% certainty) for around $ 100.- why build an effect box and try to uneffect it making it the same as the one with high feedback.

removing distortion with speakers/headphones will only work with lower frequencies (partly).

If it were easy to create an algrithm that 'undistorts' music wouldn't you expect it to exist already ?

Why would those buying 'effect boxes' want to remove the HD (and IMD) ?

OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was waiting for the analysis of the results of this poll to figure out if a clean up was necessary or if I needed to produce more distortion ;)

Reversing non-linear distortion caused by a simple non-linear amplitude transfer function is trivial if you know or can measure the transfer function. Any non-linearity that involves time is much harder to undo (for example where negative or positive feedback is involved).
It is surely a faaaar from trivial task. And I still have serious doubts that one can do a 100%, chirurgical removal of all HDs. However, it should be possible to do a good-enough/audible removal. IIUC, the latest ESS dacs do some of that for H2 & H3.

And I bet people will pay for the anti-HD filter. E.g. in this thread alone there are 94 voters who can hardly wait!
Here's a deal @pkane: I would pay $2 for the H2, $3 for the H3 and so on. Sounds like a 100% fair price to me ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is surely a faaaar from trivial task. And I still have serious doubts that one can do a 100%, chirurgical removal of all HDs. However, it should be possible to do a good-enough/audible removal. IIUC, the latest ESS dacs do some of that for H2 & H3.

And I bet people will pay for the anti-HD filter. E.g. in this thread alone there are 94 voters who can hardly wait!
Here's a deal @pkane: I would pay $2 for the H2, $3 for the H3 and so on. Sounds like a 100% fair price to me ;)

There are 164 still waiting for your conclusions. Priorities.

OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First, we'd have to define "in what space". Since speakers interact enormously with rooms, that's, well, vague is a very kindly way to put it.

Then we'd have to agree on "distortions". Do linear modifications count (i.e. they can be EQ'ed out)? In what space? Directionality. Nonlinearities only? Noise sources (air movement, voice coil air movement, port movement, buzzing of box, radiation from box, ).

Calling this "ill defined" isn't even strong enough.
Judging by the amount of open questions, I guess it is safe to assume that you do not know of any such test/methodology either.

Your questions are all good but I do not have answers. Only what I said already: you can define D as 'simply' non-linear D, or even HD-only if easier. Otherwise, I am just another guy with the ~same amount of open questions. And also said already that I don't know how to do such a test.

The source of the whole discussion was this:
Nope, plenty [transducers] don't distort audibly. In fact, just $5 will get you the Sony MH755 earphones which don't:
I just asked mister booo to tell us how did he test that those HPs "don't distort audibly". Looks to me that he is the one who already knows all the missing answers.

Last edited:
OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So 5 headphones used, one was least preferred, and trained listeners seemed not to have a real preference based upon distortion otherwise for the remaining 4 headphones.

Here is a video of the results being presented.
that looks like just another proof for the good old "the THD value does not correlate with good/likable sound". Or am I missing something?!

OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are 164 still waiting for your conclusions. Priorities.
Surely not all 164 still care about it.
And after all the 'abuse' and noise I had to put up with in this thread, I might need a week of vacation. With 3 shrinks. I hear they make excellent beer buddies.
May find some time tomorrow. Or during the weekend. Hopefully...

OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep.:p my replies...
from those I really had to take a 1 day vacation :)
I do try to read everything in this thread. Can't though. If it was that important, do you have a link, a helpful hand, a beer...?!

And if you mean the IMD stuff, you're probably right AFAIK, what else should anyone say?
Presumably, if you cancel the HD soon enough, the IMD will not happen. Otherwise, IMD-cancelling might be a job for alien civilizations with Dyson-sphere amounts of energy & computation. Or maybe not...

Last edited:
OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is a complete nonsense. I am starting to doubt the forum as a whole.
It's an opinion poll and people post well, opinions. That is pretty messy stuff. By definition I would say.
After all the 'work', I am not the biggest fan of this thread either...

And generally, you should not expect to find answers in this thread. Just questions. Wide open ones...

Top Bottom