• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[POLL] Hi-res music

Hi-res music?

• I do pay for hi-res music files and I can discern an improvement over lower rate files

Votes: 49 15.3%
  • I don't pay for hi-res music files and I can discern an improvement over lower rate files

Votes: 21 6.6%
  • I do pay for hi-res music files but I can't discern an improvement over lower rate files

Votes: 107 33.4%
  • I don't pay for hi-res music files but I can't discern an improvement over lower rate files

Votes: 127 39.7%
  • Dont think I have ever heard a hi-res music file.

Votes: 16 5.0%

• Total voters

charleski

Major Contributor
I prefer to listen to the highest resolution audio I can get/play.

I once worked on a test project (within a DAW) that was strictly VST instruments (not sample based) and was not satisfied with the sound I was getting.

Later I was changing the sampling rate from 96khz to 192khz and shut down the system without thinking about it. When I returned to the project I was suprised how good it sounded. I couldn't explain it. When I went through the settings I saw that it was running at 192khz. Changing it back to 96khz, I was reminded why I wasnt happy with the sound in the first place.

It's not so much about the higher frequencies but the more differentiated sound.
A lot of VST filters have problems with aliasing. Someone did a lot of tests which are reported here:

PortaStudio

A lot of VST filters have problems with aliasing. Someone did a lot of tests which are reported here:
Thanks that is good information to have and I will go through it later.

Tim

I am not so big on streaming, mostly sacd and cd’s. I listen almost exclusively with headphones so true soundstage is not there, but when I do use speakers, soundstage is better with higher resolution. But ultimately it is down to the source and how well it was mastered.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i buy cds... i mean they are cheap enough that it barely matters... i've downloaded the redbook album, liked it, bought the cd never opened the cd lol

i download all my files

i like to 'own' the files

i dont mind the occasional 24/96 every so often just to see what its like since we all own high performance dacs now

like i love the 24/96 beatles ultimate box thingo but i also got the flacs to see if there was much diff... there isnt

but hdd space is cheap so

Top Bottom