• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about 1 of these but you need a volume control.>
Or one of these and a volume control.>
Would love to buy Buckeye, but I live in Europe. And I need 4-channel amplification.
I think I'll just make two amps using two Icepower 200AS2's. If they ever will be in stock again... :)

Otherwise my best bet are the Audiophonic Hypex amps.

Entropy

Wow, this is quite the happening. I was ready to buy two PA5's, but now this thread discourages me to do so... Unfortunately I don't see a direct replacement product, regarding Sinad/$/Watts and having balanced connectors.
There are amplifiers out there. SMSL makes the da9 and ao200, two ma12070-based amps that should measure well enough, and sound pretty similar to the pa5 (imo). If you want monoblocks, the sabaj a20a exists.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love to buy Buckeye, but I live in Europe. And I need 4-channel amplification.
I think I'll just make two amps using two Icepower 200AS2's. If they ever will be in stock again... :)

Otherwise my best bet are the Audiophonic Hypex amps.
He ships to Europe.

raest

isn't @boXem | audio in Europe? he also does Hypexes and Purifies and i'm pretty sure with vat+shipping, it's cheaper than Buckeye here in EU and "verified" here as being great.

there's others who do it as well. i remember having a dutch company offering less aesthetically pleasing cases with some interesting options for a bit less $$$. can't remember the name

but you won't find anything cheaper in EU with either of those than Audiophonics if you're looking for pure bang/buck (other than DIY)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can't speak for the PA5 and did not vote, but I did lose a Popping DX3 Pro, Popping A50s, and Popping A90. I still have the DX3 Pro. As a DAC it works fine. Got rid of the replaced A50s and still have the replaced A90 which works but I always wonder if it's going to blow its' brains out and take headphones along. Luckily no phones have been destroyed. 3 strikes and your out for me and Popping. I've had no issues with a handful of their DAC's but no more Popping amps for me, ever again.

Popping. LOL.

armaster

I bough Topping PA5 on 2022-02-25 from Audiophonics. PA5 was 24/7 on, volume at 3/4. There was minor heating, started from begining. On 2022-11-19 I noticed that left output channel was silent while right output channel was playing music. Sometimes I noticed that left output is louder than right. Also noticed strange hiss only on left output and very loud pop when I turn amp on. I returned device for refund with no problems.

Before PA5 I had Topping MX3, bought on Amazon from Shenzhenaudio. Device completely died after one year of barely use. I sent it form Europe to China to repair. They repaired and send it back to me but here it comes to the problem: I should pay income duty for "new" device, which I already did. SInce all costs would be to high, I refused MX3. It was sent back to China.

Mine Topping devices were not working reliably.

Is there any service for Topping devices in Europe?

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
My PA5 has been running since 2022-02-25. As of today, I can find no listing, new or used, for a Topping PA5 on the U.S. site of Amazon. It makes me wonder if vendors for Topping have tacitly voted against the PA5

norcalscott

Forum Donor
My PA5 has been running since 2022-02-25. As of today, I can find no listing, new or used, for a Topping PA5 on the U.S. site of Amazon. It makes me wonder if vendors for Topping have tacitly voted against the PA5
Pulled from market by Popping Topping, no doubt. This has become a really bad black eye for them.

D

Deleted member 4708

To this day ASR is still highly recommending PA5: "It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Topping PA5."
No note added. No advisory, nothing. Topping is getting highest recommendations despite abysmal quality.

wlgreg

To this day ASR is still highly recommending PA5: "It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Topping PA5."
No note added. No advisory, nothing. Topping is getting highest recommendations despite abysmal quality.
Agree that this is a huge credibility problem for ASR. Baffling that there is not (at the very least) a footnote that Topping has acknowledged quality issues.

ampguy

My PA5 is doing great, that said, first one had a hint of hiss. I think you just want a later gen version where Apos said, it has fixed some things, and of course, as with anything, you want to get some kind of warranty.

Vladetz

Pulled from market by Popping Topping, no doubt. This has become a really bad black eye for them.
Actually there are no silver and black versions on Shenzhenaudio Aliexpress shop, only red and blue which I think era less popular so still present at warehouse. Is Topping actually still producing PA5? BTW mine started (bought in may) to make some wind-like noise in left channel and pops when changing inputs on E50. Issue is fluctuating and sometimes i can't reproduce it after power cycle

Sokel

Master Contributor
Actually there are no silver and black versions on Shenzhenaudio Aliexpress shop, only red and blue which I think era less popular so still present at warehouse. Is Topping actually still producing PA5? BTW mine started (bought in may) to make some wind-like noise in left channel and pops when changing inputs on E50. Issue is fluctuating and sometimes i can't reproduce it after power cycle
If it's not already in it's box ready to go,do it now and start sending mails.

Vladetz

If it's not already in it's box ready to go,do it now and start sending mails.
Actually Shenzhenaudio on Aliexpress already agreed to refund, so I'm going to send PA5 back tomorrow

ampguy

Apos Audio has all 4 colors for $349 USD each. I bought mine here, and the advice and support was great (I'm in the US).

Vladetz

Actually Shenzhenaudio on Aliexpress already agreed to refund, so I'm going to send PA5 back tomorrow
Sent mine yesterday, Shenzhenaudio even promised to cover shipping fee. Felt quite sad to let go quite interesting piece of gear. Sound quality was very good while until issues showed up. Switching to pair of Sabaj a20a (2022) as monoblocks

Top Bottom