• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All of this seems to me like a lot of hassle for a difference in sinad that is probably impossible to notice for the human ear/brain.

But yeah, this really is unacceptable. Topping products have seemed attractive to me because of the small size, but with such issues it's just not worth it.

jevchance

Don’t just don’t.
Declare package is worth $20.
And if it goes missing??? You loose shed load of cash.

I swear to god I for one will never ever on God’s green earth ever buy from topping again.
Biggest con yet.

Topping deserve zero customers allowing this.
It highly illegal,
Topping are signing their own down fall.
How I get so f.. pis...

They tried it with me on shite Chinese phones.

Amirm should refuse to test all topping in protest.
Look, we get it. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Last edited:

jevchance

All of this seems to me like a lot of hassle for a difference in sinad that is probably impossible to notice for the human ear/brain.

But yeah, this really is unacceptable. Topping products have seemed attractive to me because of the small size, but with such issues it's just not worth it.
After going from a PM7000N, to a E50/PA5, back to a PM7000N, I will say the PA5 sounds as good or better than the PM7000N. I found I really missed the preamp section, which is why I went back.

It's not just the SINAD, it really is a good sounding amplifier with a high value proposition (unless it fails). I knew it was a gamble going into it, and I so far have been on the losing end of it. Through it all I've cemented the fact that I'm a Marantz guy. ;)

Holmz

Major Contributor

Topping deserve zero customers allowing this.
It highly illegal,
Topping are signing their own down fall.
How I get so f.. pis...

I am not sure I would assign intent to their decision, and the cultural differences are also a factor.

It is may be immoral as opposed to illegal, if we assign morality and if we can prove that they know the units will fail. However that is shaky at best, because they have said that they have no clue why units fail.

Amirm should refuse to test all topping in protest.

I am not sure that I would recommend what Amir should do either.
(Many of his reviews of Topping gear are glowing.)

Maybe it is like Ford with the Model T, later the GT40, but the Pinto in the line up was bursting into flames?

delta76

Major Contributor
It is may be immoral as opposed to illegal, if we assign morality and if we can prove that they know the units will fail. However that is shaky at best, because they have said that they have no clue why units fail.
Asking people to lie on value declaration is unethical at best, and illegal at many places. Tax evasion is no joke

delta76

Major Contributor
Are you accusing them with firsthand knowledge?
not sure what you meant. People reported multiple times here that they (Topping) specifically asked them to declare the value to be less than $20 when shipping their PA5 to China for repair.

Sound86

Well I just bought an Amazon Warehouse PA5 for 180 USD shipped by Amazon, should arrive tomorrow. Wish me luck it doesnt arrive already defunct. If it does, well better luck next time. If it doesnt at least 2 years Amazon return service, which in my experience is very generous.

Holmz

Major Contributor
not sure what you meant.

Did they personally tell you to do that?

... People reported multiple times here that they (Topping) specifically asked them to declare the value to be less than $20 when shipping their PA5 to China for repair.

Yeah… and people claim that their speaker cables sound good, as do their AC conditioners.
But I am not going to recommend those without firsthand experience.

And I have no idea whether those people are false flag posters, bots, types that jump onto the bandwagon, or some other tribe.

Arguably, I would suggest that value of the gear is closer to $0 than $20. ;)

... Tax evasion is no joke

Certainly in Australia it is no joke.
“Goods and Services” (GST) tax was instituted about 20 years ago.
So “all of sudden” everything was 10% more.

Then they had no duty on goods <$1000, and then about 5-10 years ago now everything coming in gets a GST and duty tax on it.
And that is 10% Duty on top of the 10% GST, so it is 21% minimum.

I am not sure what the tax payer gets from the tax, but it was designed to curb consumption and raise government revenue.
But in any case, taxation is as old as religion and slavery, and just part of human nature.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
You are confusing between people reporting simple facts (And would be able to provide proofs if needed), and subjective opinion.

And if you think the value of those gear is closer to $0, you are very, very wrong. There is a reason you should declare the value of a package as close to its actual value as possible. If you don't see that reason, well,

No point arguing if you insist I can only speak out if it happens to me. It is in my rights to speak out in support of fellow members of this forum for customer rights. I made my own judgement for if those claims were bots or not.

Holmz

Major Contributor
You are confusing between people reporting simple facts (And would be able to provide proofs if needed), and subjective opinion.

And if you think the value of those gear is closer to $0, you are very, very wrong. There is a reason you should declare the value of a package as close to its actual value as possible. If you don't see that reason, well,

No point arguing if you insist I can only speak out if it happens to me. It is in my rights to speak out in support of fellow members of this forum for customer rights. I made my own judgement for if those claims were bots or not.

I am not trying to start an argument.
Just an amplifier that is not working seems like it has no value.
If one channel is broken, then maybe it is 1/2 price?

And culturally what is acceptable in business standards vary wildly be region. Hence I see no value in publicly stating that they operate immorally or illegally. So I will vote with my wallet to support them or not… and I have been pretty clear in my communication as to which way I am going.

You can certainly support whoever you want, and support their claims.
I am only saying that I do not know these people, and am personally reticent to support them… but in a caviot emptor sense, it would be unwise to ignore what they are saying. It seems totally believable to me, but what good does it do to accuse them of illegal and immoral actions?
It would make me appear to be judgemental if I did so, and it is easier to stroke the beard and make a mental note.

I have had other businesses ask me to undervalue their shipments from Asia, and the taxation office is onto them.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Certainly in Australia it is no joke.
“Goods and Services” (GST) tax was instituted about 20 years ago.
So “all of sudden” everything was 10% more.

Then they had no duty on goods <$1000, and then about 5-10 years ago now everything coming in gets a GST and duty tax on it.
And that is 10% Duty on top of the 10% GST, so it is 21% minimum.

All of a sudden 'everything' was NOT 10% more.

There was no parallel importing or internet direct sales of any significance prior to the introduction of GST in July 2000. Ebay was tiny, selling only secondhand and collectibles. Amazon was selling books, Aliexpress and direct importing of anything didn't exist. Anything coming into Australia was inspected, assessed and you'd have to pay import tax.

We had sales tax prior to GST being introduced and WST ranged from 12% to 45%. Electronics and HiFi were either 22% or 30%* wholesale sales tax.

So GST only made HiFi a whole lot cheaper in real terms. I still have some wholesale Pioneer/Yamaha/Sony price lists including sales tax btw- a blast from the past.

*30% sales tax applied to HiFi in 1991.

Last edited:

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The proper way to handle returns from USA to China for repair or replacement. A pain in the @ss but there is a procedure.

Top Bottom