• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
I respectfully disagree... You are 100% correct about @amirm having nothing to do with the problem. But with this "discussion" @amirm should chime in.

He could say/do something like this: "I've reached out to Topping and @JohnYang1997 in regards to this Issue and have not heard back."

Just my guess: I find it hard to believe @amirm has not talked to @JohnYang1997 since the beginning date of this thread.
I respectfully disagree with your post as well.
Neither Amir nor @JohnYang1997 should reply here.
The one to reply should be the official Toping representative and as far as I can see the little time I'm here both of the above just represent themselves and their opinions,I never saw any official support by Topping here.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Look in pa5 manual there’s a warning about speaker cables. Then again same goes for any amp
Trs xlr. Same thing if using xlr from dac.

Rubbish. I regularly test amplifiers at full power into a short circuit. It's patently obvious you have never tested for such a scenario.

Even the high powered Class D Hypex/Purifi module can handle a full power short circuit with absolutely no damage whatsoever. Decent Class AB amplifiers have been able to sink the entire power supply and filter cap energy without destruction for the best part of 50 years. Worst case, you may take out a few rail fuses or a line fuse. Other than that, the protector (IV/SOA) will trigger instantly.

If a low powered Topping product such as this thing dies with a short circuited speaker output- it's a piece of poorly designed junk.

As for input shorting/overload, that's just hilarious you would suggest damage may occur. Again, faulty by design if that occurs.

:facepalm:

terrys999

Rubbish. I regularly test amplifiers at full power into a short circuit. It's patently obvious you have never tested for such a scenario.

Even the high powered Class D Hypex/Purifi module can handle a full power short circuit with absolutely no damage whatsoever. Decent Class AB amplifiers have been able to sink the entire power supply and filter cap energy without destruction for the best part of 50 years. Worst case, you may take out a few rail fuses or a line fuse. Other than that, the protector (IV/SOA) will trigger instantly.

If a low powered Topping product such as this thing dies with a short circuited speaker output- it's a piece of poorly designed junk.

As for input shorting/overload, that's just hilarious you would suggest damage may occur. Again, faulty by design if that occurs.

:facepalm:
So your saying not possible?
And yet here we are
Frigin amp that is f.... useless
I sent 2 back. We don’t know what’s causing the problem. Yet you say not possible to damage by shorting ?

And yet bla bla we have an amp that’s faulty ,
Thats shouldn’t t be. But they are. Period.

Look in manual. It stated damage can accur shorting ect.
So it’s possible.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I respectfully disagree with your post as well.
Neither Amir nor @JohnYang1997 should reply here.
The one to reply should be the official Toping representative and as far as I can see the little time I'm here both of the above just represent themselves and their opinions,I never saw any official support by Topping here.

Again, it's all about credibility. Both Topping, John Yang, and Amir's credibility are being eroded/destroyed here.

Amir reviews the product, gives a wildly enthusiastic recommendation and then the product rapidly fails en masse. So much so, it gets its own thread about how unreliable it is! The reviewer looks silly, Topping looks even more silly, and the designer hides from his customers. Brilliant. Not.

I'd like to see all those slighted customers reached out to by Topping. Have their products recalled/replaced/refunded and a public notice posted about the whole fiasco. They think it will go away, but it won't.

jjmanda

I never saw any official support by Topping here.
I see a Topping representative using this site for the sole purpose of promoting their products with product reviews upon their release.

This representative is more than willing to respond to happy questions and happy praise...but ignores those who have unhappy questions or unhappy praise.

terrys999

My bro had a cxa60 he shorted speaker inputs and it killed right channel, he got lights flashing on front. Protection failed

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So your saying not possible?
And yet here we are
Frigin amp that is f.... useless
I sent 2 back. We don’t know what’s causing the problem. Yet you say not possible to damage by shorting ?

And yet bla bla we have an amp that’s faulty ,
That wouldn’t be. But they are. Period.

Look in manual. It stated damage can accur shorting ect.
So it’s possible.

It's clearly not fit for purpose. Until Amir actually starts testing amplifiers with real-world usage scenarios, which include overdriving, shorting, power interruptions and long term high power usage, the reviews have limited value.

Take them for what they are- a bunch of numbers, not an indicator of quality, long term performance, reliability or fitness for purpose.

terrys999

It's clearly not fit for purpose. Until Amir actually starts testing amplifiers with real-world usage scenarios, which include overdriving, shorting, power interruptions and long term high power usage, the reviews have limited value.

Take them for what they are- a bunch of numbers, not an indicator of quality, long term performance, reliability or fitness for purpose.
I agree wholeheartedly.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Thats very hard to do, and you know this.

terrys999

The sound quality of pa5 sounded absolutely fantastic, pi4 bubble upnp -Qobuz to pi4 moode usb to adi 2 dac fs.
Or same as above with cxn dig...out to adi .
It sounded like heaven .
I was gutted that both pa5 s died.

I may buy another when they investigate and fix the problem, but not going to hold my breath.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Again, it's all about credibility. Both Topping, John Yang, and Amir's credibility are being eroded/destroyed here.

Amir reviews the product, gives a wildly enthusiastic recommendation and then the product rapidly fails en masse. So much so, it gets its own thread about how unreliable it is! The reviewer looks silly, Topping looks even more silly, and the designer hides from his customers. Brilliant. Not.

I'd like to see all those slighted customers reached out to by Topping. Have their products recalled/replaced/refunded and a public notice posted about the whole fiasco. They think it will go away, but it won't.
No doubt this is a mess,I agree.And no doubt it's not something that can be put under the rug.
People are boiling and I feel for them.Even if the expectations are low with products in this price range.
I see a Topping representative using this site for the sole purpose of promoting their products with product reviews upon their release.

This representative is more than willing to respond to happy questions and happy praise...but ignores those who have unhappy questions or unhappy praise.
I cannot imagine official support with that kind of language,and that kind of attitude (commenting on other companies products for example).
That's not and ever been official support even for starters!

Support is there,specially when a problem occurs.

The designer (or whatever he is,I don't know anyone here,I choose to be distant for a lot of reasons) talks he own opinion,I cannot imagine something official there.

jjmanda

No doubt this is a mess,I agree.And no doubt it's not something that can be put under the rug.
People are boiling and I feel for them.Even if the expectations are low with products in this price range.

I cannot imagine official support with that kind of language,and that kind of attitude (commenting on other companies products for example).
That's not and ever been official support even for starters!

Support is there,specially when a problem occurs.

The designer (or whatever he is,I don't know anyone here,I choose to be distant for a lot of reasons) talks he own opinion,I cannot imagine something official there.
1655985743086.png

His bio says he is Designer for Topping, so he has some official capacity with them.

He can do whatever he wants, but his credibility and his company's credibility on this site relies on his actions.
He reacts only to the positive, and he fails to react to anything negative - particularly on the PA5 that he designed and promoted here.
My opinion, if wants to use this site to promote Topping, he should react professionally to both.

Sokel

Master Contributor
View attachment 214218

His bio says he is Designer for Topping, so he has some official capacity with them.

He can do whatever he wants, but his credibility and his company's credibility on this site relies on his actions.
He reacts only to the positive, and he fails to react to anything negative - particularly on the PA5 that he designed and promoted here.
My opinion, if wants to use this site to promote Topping, he should react professionally to both.
I don't disagree with anything of the above,I'm just talking about the principle and the established official support that we have used at so many years by most companies.
Take a look at the Hypex account for example.That seems and feels official.
And I'm talking about the minimum.
If we want to talk about REAL support for example,when I had a problem with my previous amp the shop I got it send someone that took it and they brought it back after three days along with their apologies.But I know I have payed premium for that,not the case here.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Let me disagree, i not think its Amirs
fault. Couse he cant test for this. If there are problems with relaybility of this product, than its toppings foult. No discussion, they better should react.

MAB

Major Contributor
Amir has nothing to do with this discussion. He tested a product, the product gave excellent measurements (and anyone who owned it found the goodness, at least initially, of the product) and he recommended it, he cannot keep up with all the problematic evolutions of the infinity of products he reviews.
The problem for me is the topping representative, who enthusiastically compares himself on all new releases but carefully avoids answering the merits of the problems of HIS products, this is unacceptable behavior and one might even think, in bad faith.
Yes, agreed. Way outside of the scope of ASR. In fact, ASR has active threads on product reliability like this one. I don't see those on other review forums or manufacturer's forums so ASR and Amir should get some credit for the platform supporting quality.

The Topping rep is indeed the issue. Won't even respond to PM's I sent him. And, the resellers are hopeless and have no idea how to provide customer service on the product they sell. Stuff breaks, and when it does the contrast between good and bad companies is clear.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1F651A75-10D8-4FBB-99F9-D1E026A2189E.png
144AA57B-436F-4BB0-BECD-66F0D9CBC385.png

Look in pa5 manual there’s a warning about speaker cables. Then again same goes for any amp
Trs xlr. Same thing if using xlr from dac.
Just as an addendum, these are the two warnings from the manual which might be relevant.

terrys999

Yep correct.
As I said earlier it can damage to unit.

Topping do mention twice.
But I know for sure my 2 returned amps didn’t short, because I always wrap insulation tape, around banana plugs.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep correct.
As I said earlier it can damage to unit.

Topping do mention twice.
But I know for sure my 2 returned amps didn’t short, because I always wrap insulation tape, around banana plugs.
I just wanted to post it as I have no idea what BTL shorting might do to an amp, if it could lead to the type of failures we are seeing reported.

Or if disconnecting AC before putting the amp in “off” position is the possible source.

And if either is a “reasonable” failure mode in a modern amp.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just as an addendum, these are the two warnings from the manual which might be relevant.

The second one is illegal in many countries, with the US FTC issuing warnings 4 years ago, that such statements and seal stickers are in breach of the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Consumers have the right to open, inspect and have repair work done by competent persons, and that in no way 'instantly voids' remedies under warranties, stated or implied. We have exactly the same protections here in Australia.

The first warning is just ridiculous and again wouldn't stand up as reasonable justification for 'voiding' a warranty. If the unit does fail in a situation like a shorted speaker terminal, it is inadequately designed and not fit for purpose in the first place. As such, a refund or replacement is the consumer's choice (In Australia).

At some point, upstart brands spouting/printing this utter BS in the warranty terms, need to be publicly called out.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The second one is illegal in many countries, with the US FTC issuing warnings 4 years ago, that such statements and seal stickers are in breach of the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Consumers have the right to open, inspect and have repair work done by competent persons, and that in no way 'instantly voids' remedies under warranties, stated or implied. We have exactly the same protections here in Australia.

The first warning is just ridiculous and again wouldn't stand up as reasonable justification for 'voiding' a warranty. If the unit does fail in a situation like a shorted speaker terminal, it is inadequately designed and not fit for purpose in the first place. As such, a refund or replacement is the consumer's choice (In Australia).

At some point, upstart brands spouting/printing this utter BS in the warranty terms, need to be publicly called out.
I understand the stickers saying no user serviceable parts inside are manufacturers way (legal?) to get around things like different countries having different code for wire color. Even here in the US the opening the device wouldn’t void the warranty unless user caused damage can be shown.

More I was curious about the turn off before unplugging statement.

Top Bottom