• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

MAB

Major Contributor
I shipped mine back to Shenzhen Audio for $85 USD. It apparently got lost, either in the mail or by the fairly incompetent people at Shenzhen Audio. They ran me in circles, and have stopped replying. Gotta say, their responses were way more frustrating than their silence. Got to be the most passive aggressive customer service of all time. Asking me to mark it as an ‘earphone with value less than $80’ like a bunch of tax-dodgers with no plan on how to accept a return. And using the ‘cheerful voice’ tactic while swindling me. I hope to never see the amp again. Even more to never have to talk to Shenzhen Audio customer service again.

There has been lots of discussion about the technical issues with the amp. The biggest problem is the customer service and the inability to correctly respond to this product’s issues.

I do want my money back. Cost plus the shipping fee.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Get an iPhone. I've had many different Androids, from cheap to TOTL and they are all flawed. The iPhones just work, day in day out and don't lock up, crash or turn themselves on/off or need reboots twice a day.

Right now, I have an older iPhone XS on the latest IOS (upgreaded the other day) and it's flawless. I wish it wasn't so I could could have something to complain about, but I'm afraid there's no chance I'll ever go back to Android again.
Was team Android with Nexus and Pixel devices for over a decade and after some lackluster experiences with a $1100 Pixel 6 Pro, I was done. iPhone 13 Pro just works. battery life truly stunning as well.

raest

Just a heads up for those of you having issues with your PA5 and @JohnYang has been absent in responding.
He posted over in the Sabaj A10d 2022 reversion thread. I responded to him post#91 and asked him to come to this thread and respond to some of the owners having issues, after as he said, this was his baby. Hopefully he will show up and can give some reassuring answers for you all.
considering he's more active in that Sabaj thread than he has been in the "his baby" thread ever since issues have popped up (if not long before), i won't hold my breath, as Frank Sol noted. looks like his talk is cheaper than his QC

MAB

Major Contributor
Get an iPhone. I've had many different Androids, from cheap to TOTL and they are all flawed. The iPhones just work, day in day out and don't lock up, crash or turn themselves on/off or need reboots twice a day.

Right now, I have an older iPhone XS on the latest IOS (upgreaded the other day) and it's flawless. I wish it wasn't so I could could have something to complain about, but I'm afraid there's no chance I'll ever go back to Android again.
The irony of all of this...
I got the PA5 to replace my Yamaha CA-2010 while I tore it apart to try to figure out why it wasn't running in Class A. I noticed because it didn't get heat up when I flipped the switch! Not that I ever run it in Class A... I knew from past experience that there would be no music for an extended period because I am slow. I figured the PA5 would bridge the gap, it did not!
1655341052217.png

The Class A/B to A switch went flakey, and I actually found a replacement... So I can create lots of heat above my workbench again if I really want to!!! I never run it in Class A, I never heard the difference with speakers I have owned. I just love the fact it is there! And everything is so buttery on this machine.
Isn’t there any dam hardware that just works.
So, I guess not much...

Last edited:

terrys999

I also commented on how mine was running brilliantly
Ha I jinxed it
2 days later hissing rustling leaves sound then left channel ,
Had replacement that went tits up too.

Bluesman. To remove the jinx dance in your street naked. Make sure it’s after 12 am.
Jinx will be removed haha .

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It also specifies that the de-jinxing is far more effective under rain.The more,the better.

To be clear, is this a one time procedure, or do I need to do it every night after using PA5? It's important to follow manufacturer's instructions so as to not void the warranty.

Sokel

Master Contributor
To be clear, is this a one time procedure, or do I need to do it every night after using PA5? It's important to follow manufacturer's instructions so as to not void the warranty.
One time is more likely to get away with this,unless you want to create a night-to-night audience or taste jail food.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
2 days later hissing rustling leaves sound then left channel ,
Had replacement that went tits up too.

Wow, this Topping PA-5 thing is an utter disaster. When will people learn?

Toku

Major Contributor
What the hell is going on in the PA5? Is this a problem limited to recent production lots?
My PA5 has been running continuously until today with the power on since I received it at the end of November last year, but it is working perfectly.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Terrys999 was retelling a story. He already posted that change a while ago.

This thread is the third one that pops up if you search “Topping PA5 problem” on DDG. So, honestly I would expect far more yes replies if this was a truly widespread issue.

But the simple fact is this thread and poll tell us nothing except 30+ people have said they have problems with the amp.

While I feel for the people who have had issues, especially those who bought overseas from dealers without good customer service, the truth is we don’t know what the failure rate truly is.

If you do know, could you please share? If not, why are commenting and chastising people?

What should I have learned, before buying this amp (which was before any reported problems), which is under two year warranty and still functioning perfectly?

MAB

Major Contributor
And by 'people learn', I assume you mean the resellers (my experience was with Shenzhen Audio) and Topping.;) I had to be snarky here...

Because of this they are potentially throwing the business away. Consumers learn in fits and starts, and in ways that appear irrational because the learning is done on an individual basis. Businesses, have different learning ability and an obligation. It would great for the consumer to stop buying crap, especially since they may be able to tell that this is crap. But the business needs to just stop selling the crap, and deal with the crap they have sold. I think the fail here is the selling.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This thread is the third one that pops up if you search “Topping PA5 problem” on DDG. So, honestly I would expect far more yes replies if this was a truly widespread issue.

But the simple fact is this thread and poll tell us nothing except 30+ people have said they have problems with the amp.
Why would you expect more replies? Do you honestly think the majority of owners are on this forum or even another forum?
Most people who have a product issue don't take the time to join a forum, let alone spend time to create a thread or go through reading a thread and then responding.
Honestly, don't you think the majority of people who get a malfunctioning product usually just return it or some may get it repaired. People are usually already aggravated enough about said malfunctioning product, spending time trying to diagnose the cause, contacting seller and or manufacturer. At that point, they just want to be done with it and get their money back. The average consumer doesn't want to waste more of their time going to online forums and discussing it.
I think the poll numbers and lack of any input by Topping or @JohnYang1997 is very telling. I mean if a designer and company rep is more than happy to come on and discuss when their product is receiving praise, but then is completely absent when there are issues, tells some folks all they need to know in regards to future purchases.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think the poll numbers and lack of any input by Topping or @JohnYang1997 is very telling. I mean if a designer and company rep is more than happy to come on and discuss when their product is receiving praise, but then is completely absent when there are issues, tells some folks all they need to know in regards to future purchases.
Unfortunately, I think this is the most serious and irritating part of the matter for the buyers.
If the sales rep is happy to be there when a product is well praised but is careful not to respond in the problem thread, it certainly does not build trust in the brand.
If only he had come to explain the problem, to reassure buyers, to give us indications on the breakdown rate, at least people would not have felt abandoned at the time of the problem.
I wonder in the light of certain behaviors how one could be trusted to buy something more expensive from the same brand (LA90, is that you?)

Top Bottom