• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

PlvsBob

Adding no value to the discussion- but I did vote and I’ve not had a problem so far. I am also including my photo proof of ownership. I have vested interest in the ongoing issues with the pa5. Owned since Nov 2022… so actually no leg to stand on if it does fail. In hindsight I was chasing the SINAD.. but it is a good sounding amp.

Attachments

• 2C657A7C-7CE2-4EC7-9EEF-B93CB2A46D39.jpeg
    2C657A7C-7CE2-4EC7-9EEF-B93CB2A46D39.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 92

BigBoss0707

My PA5 just started having issues the other day. I bought it almost a year ago in March 2022 and last week I noticed these weird popping/artifacting sounds coming out of the left channel. I turned the unit off and later in the day turned it back on to test it out. The popping went away for the most part but there was a noticeable hiss/noise prevalent in the left channel that wasn't there before. Comparing it to the right channel, the right channel was practically completely silent. I've noticed a decrease in detail ever since I heard the popping sounds so I'm sure its the same issue everyone here has experienced. Its a shame, the unit sounded great while it worked, close to the sound quality of a Purifi amp I have. I have a few Topping products and its sad to see such a fumble on their end with this product. I wonder if anyone has had luck fixing the unit themselves.

JeffGB

My PA5 is about a year old now and still works fine. I thought it was going bad once, but disconnecting and reconnecting the TRRS connectors fixed the issue so I would recommend trying that before giving up.

BigBoss0707

I tried it out without any connections but the speakers and there's still issues in the left channel. It now makes this whirling ghostly noise, most likely a component going out/failing. Luckily I got a full refund through the store I bought it from. My Topping DACs so far have been solid as a rock (knock on wood).

john11

Would using a soft start circuit to limit the power rush at start up, be helpful. I heard on another forum that these small amps can be sensitive to inrush current.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Would using a soft start circuit to limit the power rush at start up, be helpful. I heard on another forum that these small amps can be sensitive to inrush current.

Usually the power supply is a risk from needing to supply a large inrush current.

The amps just have an undisclosed fatal flaw that causes them to go bad; and it is when others using the same chips do not fail so dependably.

john11

Thanks. I did read the first dozen or so pages of this thread and they were all about the power supply, start up spikes etc.
Would a higher current rated power supply, combined with a soft start, assist as it may be abe to handle more current and the start-up spikes, or is the fatal flaw not power supply related in this way?

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
Thanks. I did read the first dozen or so pages of this thread and they were all about the power supply, start up spikes etc.
Would a higher current rated power supply, combined with a soft start, assist as it may be abe to handle more current and the start-up spikes, or is the fatal flaw not power supply related in this way?
I do not recall Topping advertising what the flaw was, but maybe they did.
It seems like they have been pretty quite about the failures.

john11

Agree. It does seem strange, that a company with a good reputation and good products should suddenly do this. It would be helpful if topping stated the fault then it coud be repaired by the end user. I mean it's ony an amplifier how difficult can it be

threni

Major Contributor
Amir's already stated that he won't be adding warnings to reviews as a result of anecdotes:

Frank Sol

@threni

@amirm did say from that link

"I am providing the platform for you all to share your negative experiences here. There is nothing else I can do unless the problem is clear, and properly shown to be a potential issue. In which case, I have put warnings in reviews."

The question is... Does 48% of ASR's members exceed "anecdotal datapoints" ?

john11

I was thinking of this amp to replace a aiyima a07 but with the reliability issue it has put me off, what do you think would be a good upgarde from the aiyima , budget of 300 pounds

threni

Major Contributor
@threni

@amirm did say from that link

"I am providing the platform for you all to share your negative experiences here. There is nothing else I can do unless the problem is clear, and properly shown to be a potential issue. In which case, I have put warnings in reviews."

The question is... Does 48% of ASR's members exceed "anecdotal datapoints" ?
It's nothing like 48% of ASR members. Any number of internet comments are the very definition of anecdotal - or do the creation myths beloved of billions of fervent believers somehow become plausible once a statistical tipping point is reached?

Top Bottom