• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

xenvre

Received today the replacement unit, although I know it will last for some months only again. Let's see.

Entropy

First unit broke in June after 5 months of Use. Second unit broke in late October after 4 months of use. RMA'ing then selling the new unit BNIB, I cba anymore.

First unit broke in June after 5 months of Use. Second unit broke in late October after 4 months of use. RMA'ing then selling the new unit BNIB, I cba anymore.
How many hours per day (on average), was the PA5 on?

Last edited:

Emulator II

I really can't understand why these obvious faulty constructions are still being sold. According to the statements of the manufacturer's representatives here in the forum, they have not yet found a solution to solve the problems. Nevertheless, the sale continues with the flimsy argument that the health of the user would not be in danger in the event of a defect. What the hell is that argument?

Especially against the background of such statements, it would be appropriate if a corresponding reference to the unreliability of the device were noted in the review here on ASR.

There are so many better quality alternatives that are also acoustically transparent that no user has to deal with such equipment.

On average probably 14-16, some days I forgot to turn it off.
Just like me! (I am on the 3rd PA5, first two also with problems after 3-4 months of almost always on/idle)

Hopping this one is an exception, and will last several years, because I really like the sound of it

Entropy

Topping and the resellers have all said they have a problem on their hands. They even said they would officially extend the warranty to two years. That's what they said, crickets when it matters.
Would you be able to provide Screenshots/links to these admissions and statements please? That's really intriguing.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you be able to provide Screenshots/links to these admissions and statements please? That's really intriguing.

From @JohnYang1997 “We tried some improvement on the PA5 regarding the issue and we had 20 of those new units running for over a month now without any issue. But apparently we all know that the pop noise issue comes up randomly and only after a few months. It's a very touchy issue that we still cannot 100% pin point what the issue is.”

I have not seen any more specific information regarding a root cause since this post so who knows.

Michael

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also see this post by @TOPPING-Service earlier in this thread.

[Edit] @mdsimon2 was quicker than me :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It certainly appears that Topping did sell product with issues. Then stated in this post that they did not.

DanielT

Major Contributor
OT:
This one seems interesting, if you are looking for an alternative. I like the HP filter possibilities and to have a 2.1 system with subwoofer. Can be controlled by remote control as well.:)

Provides opportunities for BTL Mode!

It's just SHIT that no one sent one to Amir for testing!:oops:

Great price now!
Screenshot_2022-11-10_120906.jpg

Tests and measurements can also be found in the link:

Frank Sol

at this point, if you are on ASR and you still buy PA5, it's beyond me. Yes, it's your money, your choice, but how's a few SINAD justify the anxiety and confusion if (and it's a likely if) it fails?

The latest 3 reviews on Amazon USA are NOT good... One of them is surely an ASR reader

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, this is quite the happening. I was ready to buy two PA5's, but now this thread discourages me to do so... Unfortunately I don't see a direct replacement product, regarding Sinad/$/Watts and having balanced connectors.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, this is quite the happening. I was ready to buy two PA5's, but now this thread discourages me to do so... Unfortunately I don't see a direct replacement product, regarding Sinad/$/Watts and having balanced connectors.
How about 1 of these but you need a volume control.>
Or one of these and a volume control.>

Top Bottom