• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
the little voices in my head tell me to use a dremel tool to cut the module open so I can cool it... :)
If it was mine it would be wide open now!
(and not necessarily for cooling...)

xaxxon

Sounds like you're dealing with Aoshida? Sounds exactly like the same process I have been going through. My unit is en route back to me, will let you know the outcome.

As of today it has been 6 weeks since I sent my unit out for repair.
Yep, aoshida. Did topping reimburse you for shipping?

Maybe I'll just have to buy another benchmark amp... but that would put me at 6.

Last edited:

jevchance

Yep, aoshida. Did topping reimburse you for shipping?

Maybe I'll just have to buy another benchmark amp... but that would put me at 6.
They did not, but I also did not ask. It would be nice though, the USPS shipping was like $75.

xaxxon

They did not, but I also did not ask. It would be nice though, the USPS shipping was like $75.
Here's a snippit from the email chain I have with topping including the support email addr I used
1663348016928.png

I currently have an email out to them asking about aoshida mandating that I lie on the customs form and stating that they would be lying as well.

xaon60

I've been going through the pages of this topic and it's bugging me because maybe I'm the next one suffered a failure on the PA5.
I found that it heats up after 30 minutes of use, regardless of the volume applied.
I don't have a problem at the moment but I prefer to unplug it from the mains when not in use.

P.S: I fooled around once, I unplugged it from the mains, forgetting to flip the switch to off before, and I heard a funny tone in my columns. I specify that the volume was at 0.
I tried to recreate this tone with audacity, here it is: https://sendeyo.com/show/cdd00461c8 password : 1234

Toku

Major Contributor
I've been going through the pages of this topic and it's bugging me because maybe I'm the next one suffered a failure on the PA5.
I found that it heats up after 30 minutes of use, regardless of the volume applied.
I don't have a problem at the moment but I prefer to unplug it from the mains when not in use.

P.S: I fooled around once, I unplugged it from the mains, forgetting to flip the switch to off before, and I heard a funny tone in my columns. I specify that the volume was at 0.
I tried to recreate this tone with audacity, here it is: https://sendeyo.com/show/cdd00461c8 password : 1234
The heat generated by the PA5 is a little higher, but you don't have to worry about it. I use the PA5 with the power always on. The power is normally not turned off.
If you unplug the AC plug of the power adapter while the power is on, noise will appear, but it is normal for PA5 operation.

jevchance

Here's an update on my situation: apparently my PA5 was lost in the mail.

Thank you very much for your patience. We checked the logistics and contacted USPS again. The logistics company said that if the package has not been updated on September 29, then the package may have been lost by the local USPS in the United States.
Our solution:
1. Please wait with us until September 29th.
2. If the logistics on September 29 is still unchanged, then we will send you a PA5 black from China via DHL/FEDEX. This is not USPS, the shipping time is about 7 days.

We apologize again for the inconvenience. This not only brings inconvenience to you, but also loses a PA5 to our seller. This is an accident, and we are also very sad.
But in any case, we will not let the customer have any loss, so we will resend it to you when the time comes.

We would be very grateful if we could get your understanding and cooperation.
Waiting for your reply,

This is after they shipped the device back to me via USPS after having promised to ship via DHL/FEDEX in the first place, but said they couldn't due to COVID.

I'll be asking for a full refund, not sure if they will bite.

Toku

Major Contributor
Here's an update on my situation: apparently my PA5 was lost in the mail.

This is after they shipped the device back to me via USPS after having promised to ship via DHL/FEDEX in the first place, but said they couldn't due to COVID.

I'll be asking for a full refund, not sure if they will bite.
I previously ordered an SMSL amplifier from Shenzhen Audio, but the package got lost in China.
But the shop never responded to my request for a refund or to resend the item.
You are a very lucky person to be compensated by purchasing from Aoshida HiFi.
Generally, Chinese shops do not provide any compensation for accidents during transportation.
That's what the terms of sale say. It is unthinkable from our society, but it seems to be normal in Chinese society.
From then on, I choose shops carefully based on my valuable experience.
Aoshida HiFi is a shop where you can buy with confidence.

jevchance

I previously ordered an SMSL amplifier from Shenzhen Audio, but the package got lost in China.
Generally, Chinese shops do not provide any compensation for accidents during transportation.
That's what the terms of sale say. It is unthinkable from our society, but it seems to be normal in Chinese society.

You have a lot more confidence in them than I do at this point.

It doesn't matter if Chinese shops generally don't provide compensation for lost items, in this case they are beholden to Amazon. If they don't make the situation right, I am able to file a complaint with Amazon which could mean their seller status gets revoked. I don't want to do that, I hope they will make it right.

xaxxon

That's what credit card disputes are for. That said, I will only buy from apos audio now for this type of budget-ish gear.

Toku

Major Contributor
You have a lot more confidence in them than I do at this point.

It doesn't matter if Chinese shops generally don't provide compensation for lost items, in this case they are beholden to Amazon. If they don't make the situation right, I am able to file a complaint with Amazon which could mean their seller status gets revoked. I don't want to do that, I hope they will make it right.
There are three types of sales styles on Amazon.

1. Products stock up by Amazon and sold and shipped by Amazon
2. Products sold by Marketplace on consignment to Amazon and shipped by Amazon
3. Products sold and shipped by Marketplace

Items 1 and 2 are subject to compensation by Amazon, and returns and refunds will also be made to Amazon.

3 is the problem.
In the case of 3, Amazon will provide the seller with a place to put out a tenant, but regarding returns, refunds, and compensation, it will be negotiated with the shop. Amazon does not actively participate in disputes.
In this case, the return address of the product will be the place specified by the other party, and in most cases it will be requested to return to China. Refunds such as return shipping costs are subject to negotiation.

Open Mind Audio

Re: power management -- I share the same concerns about my PA5, which also heats up. My understanding from reading up here on the forums is that the best thing to do is to leave the PA5 plugged in always but to flip the power switch to standby when not in use. Some of the defects experienced with the unit may result from the surge of power that rushes in each time you plug and unplug it. Leaving it plugged in and using the standby button (which must be there for a reason, right - or maybe just for European power standards?) is a way to alleviate consequences of the "surge."

I don't know jack about engineering, so I am taking this all on faith -- but I'm inclined to believe this theory because in 2016 I bought a Topping desktop amp. Loved it, and it worked well in moderate use for several years. But for sure I unplugged it a lot as a way to turn it off. Eventually, one of the channels made a clicking sound and then stopped working and there was no way I could fix it. That experience sounded a lot like what some people have undergone with the PA5.

I regret purchasing my PA5 due to the overall concerns ... I realize now, I'd have been better served with a product that's more reliable and has coherent power management. But I'm determined to enjoy it as long as I can.

PS - still a fan of Topping despite all this because of their great value.

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are three types of sales styles on Amazon.

1. Products stock up by Amazon and sold and shipped by Amazon
2. Products sold by Marketplace on consignment to Amazon and shipped by Amazon
3. Products sold and shipped by Marketplace

Items 1 and 2 are subject to compensation by Amazon, and returns and refunds will also be made to Amazon.

3 is the problem.
In the case of 3, Amazon will provide the seller with a place to put out a tenant, but regarding returns, refunds, and compensation, it will be negotiated with the shop. Amazon does not actively participate in disputes.
In this case, the return address of the product will be the place specified by the other party, and in most cases it will be requested to return to China. Refunds such as return shipping costs are subject to negotiation.
This is not really how it works, and I say this from direct experience.
Normally in the transactions of products sold and shipped from a host shop, amazon is not part of the dispute and is not responsible for the warranty and assistance.
However, in the event of serious violations by the shop, amazon still intervenes as a guarantee for the buyer.
He reimbursed me in full for an item sold and shipped by a Chinese merchant, which was clearly a different product than the one shown, I complained to the shop who told me there was nothing they could do about it. I contacted amazon customer service who after checking gave me a full refund.
Amazon has no interest in some sellers ruining the platform's reputation.

Last edited:

mlee

Re: power management -- I share the same concerns about my PA5, which also heats up. My understanding from reading up here on the forums is that the best thing to do is to leave the PA5 plugged in always but to flip the power switch to standby when not in use. Some of the defects experienced with the unit may result from the surge of power that rushes in each time you plug and unplug it. Leaving it plugged in and using the standby button (which must be there for a reason, right - or maybe just for European power standards?) is a way to alleviate consequences of the "surge."
Not to discourage you as there are good units out there but did the above with 2 of my units. They still failed. I don't think it matters what you do if you get one of those units.

jevchance

Well, some good news. They have agreed to refund my full purchase price. That still leaves me out the $75 I paid for shipping back to China, but at this point I'd rather have the money than the amplifier as I'm really enjoying using the E50 with my JBL 305P MKIIs.

MAB

Major Contributor
Well, some good news. They have agreed to refund my full purchase price. That still leaves me out the $75 I paid for shipping back to China, but at this point I'd rather have the money than the amplifier as I'm really enjoying using the E50 with my JBL 305P MKIIs.
Glad to hear you got (at least) the purchase price back. Same result as me when they lost my amp, I thought about writing another angry email to get the $65 shipping cost back, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Gets me to thinking, what percentage of returns are lost in shipping? At least 2 lost out of the 63 defects reported in this thread were lost, that's 3%. Still unsure of the numerator and denominator. A couple people added stories to this thread about other SMSL and Topping products that got lost in shipping. And lost in the mail emerges as a theme in other threads where people had reliability returns with these resellers.
I think the the picture is clear:
On top of the failure rate, there is a significant probability that a return for repair or refund will get lost.

Aside from the reliability, the business model here may have worked for sub $100 dongles which might be acceptable to many consumers as throw-away items. But with these shipping failure rates, makes it really hard to buy from the resellers. It's too bad, I see good intentions colliding with a totally naïve customer returns and support process.

thebigbadash

Purchased 27th August, popping on right channel began 20th Sept. Returned for refund.

Edit: Anyone know of an alternative? General computer use / gaming, driving a pair of Procella P5s (from another project) and an active sub. Not involved in pro audio.

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Purchased 27th August, popping on right channel began 20th Sept. Returned for refund.

Edit: Anyone know of an alternative? General computer use / gaming, driving a pair of Procella P5s (from another project) and an active sub. Not involved in pro audio.
For general PC use or gaming you definitely don't need a very high performance SINAD amplifier ... I believe you would live peacefully and without hearing any real difference with an aiyima A07 for your use. they also save a lot of money.

anli

It would be interesting to understand amp manufacturing date for those failing cases (64 at the moment).

Top Bottom