• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Shenzhenaudio actually sent me a video on how to disassemble the PA5 during my customer-service disaster with them:
Their claim was that the noise was caused by a "loose connection port", and they wanted me to disassemble the amp and see.
A few things:
No way this was gonna fix the issue.
No way a random customer should be messing around with defective merchandise like this.
No way this can be called customer service.

Even if you are a qualified electronics technician, this is the wrong approach for warranty service. But, since warranty service isn't part of this product's bill of materials, at least you have the video!
Hi, That's sad if your issues haven't been solved, we suggest you contact [email protected] for an after-service. I'm not sure if there is something misunderstanding among our CS team, but sorry for this inconvenience.

MAB

Major Contributor
Hi, That's sad if your issues haven't been solved, we suggest you contact [email protected] for an after-service. I'm not sure if there is something misunderstanding among our CS team, but sorry for this inconvenience.
Thank you @SHENZHENAUDIO. Cloris did indeed refund me my money in the end, and I appreciate her patience. It just took way too long to get resolve.
I worked with a different person at the beginning of my return starting 6 months ago.
I would like the entire return process to go more smoothly in the future. The video I referenced was one of the many failures and distractions that prevented me from smoothly returning my defective PA5. But, in the end Cloris was great.

raest

as i already wrote in the E30 mk2 thread, Toppings "most advanced QC in hifi" strikes again, it seems, as apparently my replacement PA5 has started developing the issue. this time it was hooked to a different PC (but same DAC) and different speakers (Quad S2) with an easier load. in these 2 months of it being here, it was powered on for a total of maybe 10-20 hours (1 hour shortly after it came in, and the rest over the past 2 weeks)

it is currently mild and quite intermittent compared to the previous, so i will wait till it "matures" before sending it back, but i hope Audiophonics will consider a refund this time, because i have neither the patience nor the time to deal with "the most advanced QC in hifi"

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping's statement that the failure rate is low is questionable when so many replacement units fail as well. I don't need to recall my university statistics course to raise a Spockian eyebrow!

vkvedam

Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 I have decided not to send the unit until there's a fix for it. I have very little confidence in the replacement unit given the complaints unless you advise us to send it back for a swap.

BoredErica

Sorry to hear about your PA5 sounding so bad. What about your speaker? Is it in any danger of harm from the PA5?
Hope not. Driver cone moves a lot from whatever it's pushing through. Quite loud. It's happened before. Like last time I went to mono-channel listening. Probably prudent to just buy a new amp and give up.

Ignoring the cost and hassle of sending stuff (I don't like post office), I can't know replacement unit will be fixed. I think Topping's response here shows they will at most maybe do something if the replacement unit also dies but even that I can't guarentee.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope not. Driver cone moves a lot from whatever it's pushing through. Quite loud. It's happened before. Like last time I went to mono-channel listening. Probably prudent to just buy a new amp and give up.

Ignoring the cost and hassle of sending stuff (I don't like post office), I can't know replacement unit will be fixed. I think Topping's response here shows they will at most maybe do something if the replacement unit also dies but even that I can't guarentee.
Yes, the communication of late from Topping has apparently been horrendous if non-existent. I recently bought a DAC and a headphone amp from USA builders for this very reason.

Canuck57

Forum Donor

@Topping Service where are you? It's your opportunity to shine with great customer service in response to this. If it was me I would PM BoredErica and work with her vendor to get a refund immediately! There are obviously defective PA5 units!

ampguy

Thanks! I'm looking at adding an L50 to the PA5, once I get more time on this 2nd PA5. I haven't heard of many alternatives to the L50 with balanced in, and pass through, as well as great specs for the HP amp section.
My 2nd PA5, replaced by Apos under warranty, is still doing fine, on daily (but off evenings), have been using w/ balanced DAC for last 2 weeks. I have no issues with buying Topping again through Apos and with some kind of warranty.

Kevinfc

Don’t own one, but the results are shockingly bad. Too bad, I had high regard for Topping’s products based on the reviews here. They’ll need to up their game on the QC end.

DMill

Wish there was a “Dont own one” poll result. Curious to see results

delta76

Major Contributor
At this point it is advisable to get a refund if you can. Buy another amp or hold off until it is confirmed all problems are fixed (which is unlikely). Pa5 is great for the price if it works, but the gamble is not worth it

vkvedam

Forum Donor
My 2nd PA5, replaced by Apos under warranty, is still doing fine, on daily (but off evenings), have been using w/ balanced DAC for last 2 weeks. I have no issues with buying Topping again through Apos and with some kind of warranty.
Thanks for the reassurance!

Holmz

Major Contributor

2nd one replaced?

Is there some fixed number of them failing before you consider a different amp?

ampguy

2nd one replaced?

Is there some fixed number of them failing before you consider a different amp?
Sorry, the original first one was replaced. I'm on my 2nd one now, and this new 2nd unit is working well. I was told there were issues that were fixed, my first one was an early one.

Top Bottom