• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

POLL: For streaming, should I even use the Modius? Or HifiBerry good enough?

Which streaming configuration should I use?

• Option 1: Just HiFiBerry DAC2 HD

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Option 2: Raspberry Pi + Schiit Modius

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

Firefly00

If delivery happens according to schedule, my new integrated amp arrives on Monday.

But I'll need to add an external streamer to use as a Roon end-point.

I have two options:

Option 1. HiFi Berry DAC2 HD -> Amp RCA input

(the unit Amir tested is actually mine)

Option 2. Raspberry Pi -> USB -> Schiit Modius -> Amp XLR input

Notes:

1. I can put the devices behind the shelf with the amp, so the long run distance noise rejection advantage of XLR doesn't matter much

2. Option 2 is obviously more complex -- more wall-warts, more cables, more boxes

3. Option 2 does have better SINAD, by 11-15 dB, if things replicate Amir's tests. But Option 1 is still 100 dB, which seems low enough to be inaudible and good enough.

Given all that, it seems like the differences should fall in the inaudible range, and Option 2, while possibly measuring better, doesn't really gain anything audible for the added complexity.

So should I even bother using the Modius?
Modius is more flexible, you can use it in other systems without the pi. Also those black and grey boxes look super nice

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC2 HD is always the option for me, sure it’s not plug and pay you need to modify some kernel settings but most distributions allow you to do that via the GUI.

Not in favor of the extra cables for the modius, but it is tue plug and play option.

radix

Major Contributor
DAC2 HD is always the option for me, sure it’s not plug and pay you need to modify some kernel settings but most distributions allow you to do that via the GUI.

Not in favor of the extra cables for the modius, but it is tue plug and play option.

Personally, I go RoPieee, so apart from flashing the SD card, it's pretty plug and play. I set it to reboot every day at 3am and check for updates on reboot. That way I don't need to think about linux and software updates and running "apt update" and such.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well if its only for the streaming purposes as deticated DAC (meaning you absolutely don't need DSD at all) for power amplifier you really don't need better than old Burr.
Seems Modius is a stiff one.

I use Roon, and while I do have a handful of DSD files on my NAS, I don't have a DSD native DAC right now, so it just does the PCM wrapper.

Same for MQA streaming from Tidal -- I don't have an MQA DAC, so it does the halfway version of unfolding.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Not sure what you mean. I used the DAC2 HD with Roopiee without kernel tweakery.

The DAC2 HD Amir tested was mine, including image file.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I use Roon, and while I do have a handful of DSD files on my NAS, I don't have a DSD native DAC right now, so it just does the PCM wrapper.

Same for MQA streaming from Tidal -- I don't have an MQA DAC, so it does the halfway version of unfolding.
I have (Sabre 32) and sometime I use PCM to DSD conversion from JRiver and from PC just not for streaming tho integrated one into my power amp (DSD1791) can also do it (it simply doesn't make sense to stream multibit DSD). I don't really care about MQA.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds very non-ASR.

Fraught with cognitive bias.
Cognitive bias isn't always a bad thing. My most-enjoyable memories are of experiences that likely weren't nearly as ideal as I remember them, but my fallible cognition permits me to believe otherwise.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Cognitive bias isn't always a bad thing. My most-enjoyable memories are of experiences that likely weren't nearly as ideal as I remember them, but my fallible cognition permits me to believe otherwise.

I'll agree with that and why I like to own gear that looks cool.

But in this case, things will be hidden.

BTW, you made me think of a paradox:

If I do a blind test and even if I can't distinguish the two, eventually I have to pick one for long term use, and I'll know whether it's the cheapie or not.

Parallel:

On blind testing myself, I can't reliably distinguish 320 kps MP3 from FLAC.

And yet I still use lossless for my streaming because I think to myself "even if I can't hear it, FLAC is technically superior."

I will regret this post for the can of worms / rat holes it creates.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@watchnerd I can't distinguish 24 bit Flac to lossy hybrid WavPack (either hearing it or to point a finger to response graph) which I can reconstruct back to wav losseles (not bit perfect!) and all do it uses lot less space as such but I still don't really want to convert my flac's. Is that paradoxical enough. If you find something simple more convenient to use and you stick to it how is that a bad thing?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it odd that a bunch of companies don't put a pi into a case with a good dac, simplify the whole mess into one neat box.
Yup- my dream is a $300 box which takes chromecast, Tidal and Spotify Connect (and USB) in, built in 10+ band PEQ and other "normal" DSP , controlled via an app and both analog and digital outputs.

I'd pay £250 for a purely digital version.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I'd go for the RPi4-->Modius. You may not hear a difference in a blind test, but just the fact that you're worried about it is enough to tip the scales to the higher SINAD combo. Why put up with the nervosa if you don't need to? Also, the RPi4 runs pretty hot, even without a HAT installed. I'd put the RPi in a Flirc case and call it good.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it odd that a bunch of companies don't put a pi into a case with a good dac, simplify the whole mess into one neat box.
maintaining the software would need a team bigger than the one needed to make the device, not to mention the hassle of implementing the APIs of all the different streaming services.

That's why i like to keep the streamer seperate, or use a TV or something 'smart'.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
maintaining the software would need a team bigger than the one needed to make the device, not to mention the hassle of implementing the APIs of all the different streaming services.

That's why i like to keep the streamer seperate, or use a TV or something 'smart'.
The point was that there would be no software development as the user can just choose from one of the many existing well maintained existing distributions. All the manufacturer needs to do is physically integrate it, and make the SD slot accessible without opening the case.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The point was that there would be no software development as the user can just choose from one of the many existing well maintained existing distributions. All the manufacturer needs to do is physically integrate it, and make the SD slot accessible without opening the case.
these distributions are not well maintained, except maybe for Roopie (that relies on Roon and $$$).

Roopie was the only reliable one I had, all the others crashed or required frequent resets that simply disconnected me from the experience.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
these distributions are not well maintained, except maybe for Roopie (that relies on Roon and $$$).

Roopie was the only reliable one I had, all the others crashed or required frequent resets that simply disconnected me from the experience.
My experience has been very different, they were very stable for me, everything I've ever run on the pi has just worked.

Top Bottom