• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

POLL: For streaming, should I even use the Modius? Or HifiBerry good enough?

Which streaming configuration should I use?

• Option 1: Just HiFiBerry DAC2 HD

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Option 2: Raspberry Pi + Schiit Modius

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If delivery happens according to schedule, my new integrated amp arrives on Monday.

But I'll need to add an external streamer to use as a Roon end-point.

I have two options:

Option 1. HiFi Berry DAC2 HD -> Amp RCA input

(the unit Amir tested is actually mine)

Option 2. Raspberry Pi -> USB -> Schiit Modius -> Amp XLR input

Notes:

1. I can put the devices behind the shelf with the amp, so the long run distance noise rejection advantage of XLR doesn't matter much

2. Option 2 is obviously more complex -- more wall-warts, more cables, more boxes

3. Option 2 does have better SINAD, by 11-15 dB, if things replicate Amir's tests. But Option 1 is still 100 dB, which seems low enough to be inaudible and good enough.

Given all that, it seems like the differences should fall in the inaudible range, and Option 2, while possibly measuring better, doesn't really gain anything audible for the added complexity.

So should I even bother using the Modius?

staticV3

Master Contributor
How about using something like the MC103 to test audibility yourself?
That seems like it would be much more productive and conclusive than a bunch of people theorizing about ability thresholds and such.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How about using something like the MC103 to test audibility yourself?
That seems like it would be much more productive and conclusive than a bunch of people theorizing about ability thresholds and such.

Why do I need an external switcher on an integrated amp?

I can just switch inputs on the amp.

Also -- how do I make it double blind?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Why do I need an external switcher on an integrated amp?

I can just switch inputs on the amp.

Also -- how do I make it double blind?
Ah, true. If your Amp allows seamlessly switching between inputs, then an external switcher would be pointless.
As for how to make it double blind, I'd say it depends on your Amp's UI. Like, can you reach it from your listening position? Does it display which input is active? Does it make a sound when switching inputs?
Having a helping hand and an RNG on a phone would be useful.

MCH

Major Contributor
if it was me...
1. you want to keep both: you have a pi, a device that only works with a pi, and a device that can work in other systems -> use the hat on the pi and find another use for the shiit
2. you dont want to keep both: the one that sells first, goes.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just get a buddy to switch the inputs such that you can't see what he's doing. You have to make sure, however, that both are level-matched, using a voltmeter, to avoid confusing your perceptions and leading to a wrong conclusion.

My suspicion is that you won't be able to tell the difference. I'm quite sure I would not.

(The laptop I've been using for streaming is making a fan noise these days--it was cheap so it doesn't surprise me. I've been looking into a Pi option myself for playing music from my network library. More as a winter hobby project than anything. So this has been on my mind.)

Generally, I like to separate devices that depend on software if possible and reasonable. A streamer in a DAC means that the DAC becomes unusable if the streamer does, and those seem to me more subject to improvements that can't predict that we will require. But DACs are commodity items now--I already have several of them and tend to buy them for a single purpose rather than having to deal with their input switching. (Except the MF V90, which has a lovely, physical, three-dimensional, repairable, not software-driven, old-school rocker switch for selecting between its two inputs.)

Rick "who'd go with the Pi + DAC, but not because of sound" Denney

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Sounds very ASR to me, it stops being ASR if you start making claims based on sighted tests though.

Ah, but is it sighted if I know which device it is but can't see which device it is because they're shoved behind the cabinet?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just get a buddy to switch the inputs such that you can't see what he's doing. You have to make sure, however, that both are level-matched, using a voltmeter, to avoid confusing your perceptions and leading to a wrong conclusion.

The easiest buddy to recruit would be my wife.

The payback for such drudgery will probably be more than the cost of the Modius. ;)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, but is it sighted if I know which device it is but can't see which device it is because they're shoved behind the cabinet?
If you genuinely don't know which input is which, and the levels are matched then it's blind, but I don't know how you are going to randomly select inputs to test if you can hear a difference. Personally I'd buy the perfect sounding one and forget about it.

Taddpole

The easiest buddy to recruit would be my wife.

The payback for such drudgery will probably be more than the cost of the Modius. ;)
That's good as we know from other threads/foums it'll be night and day differences when also listened to by a wife.

radix

Major Contributor
That sounds very non-ASR.

Fraught with cognitive bias.

As @watchnerd said, if it's just for your own use -- i.e. your own preference -- then you can measure it however you want. You might also consider you like the look of the Modius in your room versus the utilitarian Pi case, etc.

If you want to report your results as some form of statistical truth, then you need to follow a scientific process.

personally, I use Pis in several places.

Using USB would give you a few different format options than the hat, if you're into high-rate dsd.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I voted for option one only because you already have it. Wouldn't choose such stand alone DAC, would insist on something with remote control for line out to power amplifier and all do it hardly needs better performance than old Burr Ti even so I would opt for the DSD version of it. If I have to spend money for noticeable better stand alone solution would pick something with deacent hedaphone amp and preferably integrated power supply somehow I believe I could live with couple more cables.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Oh, sorry, I didn't make that clear.

I already own both.

The Modius is virgin, never-used, but I do own it.
Well if its only for the streaming purposes as deticated DAC (meaning you absolutely don't need DSD at all) for power amplifier you really don't need better than old Burr.
Seems Modius is a stiff one.

Top Bottom