• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Do you like Harman's target curve for headphones bass response?

Do you like the bass response of Harman's target curve for headphones?

• Yes, it is perfect.

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • No, I like a little less bass.

Votes: 66 26.9%
  • No, I like a lot less bass (less than -2dB than the target curve).

Votes: 55 22.4%
  • No, I like even more bass!

Votes: 34 13.9%

• Total voters

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Slightly too much bass around 50-80Hz for my taste. If the material already contains a significant quantity of bass, it can become quite unbalanced.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well based on the numbers in this poll so far, I think it's fair to say the "harman preference curve" is about as valuable as anyone elses curve. :facepalm:

Realj42

Forum Donor
I don't think it says much about the Harman curve at all.
I think it says that the Harman preference curve is just a 'preference' or an average . Certainly in the bass area there is a wide range of preferences as displayed here. Personally I prefer less bass but the rest of the curve is fine to my taste.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it says that the Harman preference curve is just a 'preference' or an average . Certainly in the bass area there is a wide range of preferences as displayed here. Personally I prefer less bass but the rest of the curve is fine to my taste.
I was referring to the poll results being unreliable.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was referring to the poll results being unreliable.
Well, it says that 70% finds the target curve not perfect. Even if it reflects an average, the "skirts" of this distribution are quite wide.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it says that 70% finds the target curve not perfect. Even if it reflects and average, the "skirts" of this distribution are quite wide.
But there is no way to remove the ones who answered "I don't like the Harman curve because I EQ'd my headphones and didn't like the result". Some of the auto-EQ's to Harman are really bad and can bias the results.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
But there is no way to remove the ones who answered "I don't like the Harman curve because I EQ'd my headphones and didn't like the result". Some of the auto-EQ's to Harman are really bad and can bias the results. It won't sound the same as a headphone with a native curve close to Harman.
Whise guy try removing Harman influence including hire. It's a geriatric scale as I stated before.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whise guy try removing Harman influence including hire. It's a geriatric scale as I stated before.
By that do you mean you think it's too bright? I agree it seems a bit much for me but that may change as my ears do. But overall I have to say that I think it's pretty close on overall balance with some small tweaks for preference. Which is exactly what the Harman headphone curve is - an average of the results of their experiments.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I mean it's suitable for seniors with partial hearing loss regarding bass and when you shave that off you will like to shave and uper high mids - highs hump (just a bit). At least I do. Harman influence grew up so much (in the west at least) that you have to be brave this day's to say anything against it. Best regards.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Moondrop S8 IEM was specifically tuned to match the Harman curve and measurements confirm this. Have not heard them, but they get lots of praise.
Personally I like the Harman curve at lower voumes, but as it gets louder prefer less bass.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I mean it's suitable for seniors with partial hearing loss regarding bass and when you shave that off you will like to shave and uper high mids - highs hump (just a bit). At least I do. Harman influence grew up so much (in the west at least) that you have to be brave this day's to say anything against it. Best regards.
That made zero sense.
I think @ZolaIII is trying to say that people prefer the Harman target because they grew up with Harman-influenced equipment, so it's already a familiar sound. Basically, the chicken and the egg problem.

markanini

Major Contributor
I think @ZolaIII is trying to say that people prefer the Harman target because they grew up with Harman-influenced equipment, so it's already a familiar sound. Basically, the chicken and the egg problem.
That's because the premise is false.

There's some confusion about what the Harman (over-ear) target is and what it is not.
It's not something original and it's not something meant to change how headphones sound. It's stated purpose is to provide a benchmark based on preferences of the average listener. You could infer that the curve has existed for a long time, as evidenced by a number of flagship headphones from the last 20 years that follow the target closely. Harmans researchers basically mapped it out for current day measurement rigs.

The IEM target OTOH is different because it pertains to a younger technology with different causes of frequency responce deviations, such as insertion depth. Other targets like USound and Etymotic are getting traction. Because of that the target is not as settled. That's why, despite being the work of the same research team, it shouldn't be lumped together with the over-ear target.

Last edited:

devopsprodude

Except that's not what the Harman curve is. It's not based on colorations from historical equipment. It's based on science and experimentation where they tried different target variations and the curve that we now think of as the Harman curve is the one that was preferred by the majority of listeners.

Robin L

Master Contributor
And so is my clame. Based on the research about hearing loss they presented hire on ASR and still much more transport than most of their "scientific research".
"Claim", not "clame", "here", not "hire".
"Transport" makes absolutely no sense. Your sentence makes no sense. A statistical average of listener preference is just that. "Hearing loss" might be folded into the statistical process but will not dominate the overall results.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I think I like a bit more, but that is based on what Wavelet gives me based on AutoEq data for the Sony WH-1000XM3.

Top Bottom