• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll & discussion: UFOs / UAPs / Other Intelligent Life in Universe

Do you believe there are alien spacecraft that have visited earth’s atmosphere?

• Yes.

• No, and I don’t believe there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

• No, but I do believe there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

• I think there is too much scientific uncertainly to be confident in any opinion on this.

• I am a space alien.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chester

The problem I see is the tyranny of distance. Nearest star to us is about 4 light years away. Unless there is some really high, near luminal speed technology developed by other beings elsewhere (or us chickens, bedawk!), I don't see us being visited any time soon. With our current rocket technology, it would take us 70,000 years to cover 4 light years' distance. I can't hold it that long!

I think if they did happen to have something like a thousand years on us, then nothing’s off the table in my view.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would they bother to visit Earth?

Didn't infamous politician say that Earth is one of the sh**thole planets?

Chester

Why would they bother to visit Earth?

Didn't infamous politician say that Earth is one of the sh**thole planets?

It all depends how common intelligent life is…..if it isn’t that common, we might be quite interesting to them. If it’s ten a penny out in the wider universe, maybe not worth the effort.

Or it may be so competitive out there in deep space, a nice resource laden planet like ours, with a healthy star, could be very appealing.

Basically we have no idea, but it’s fun to hypothesise.

OP
S

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I searched this thread and was surprised nobody's mentioned the Drake Equation. The universe is so big, and so old, it's virtually certain that there are other forms of sentient life. But time is so vast, and the speed of light so slow, that it's almost equally certain that we'll never meet any of them.

The Drake equation is good to know about, really an essential and constructive part of the discussion, I agree, but I am doubtful as to its value as a modern analytical too. I read up on the Drake equation some time ago. It’s kind of old school (1961), with certain very limiting assumptions about how intelligent life might arise—assuming it must be quite similar to what happened on earth. Kind of a stretch of an assumption when we have a sample n=1, IMHO. Also, IIRC, the variables in the Drake equation were so uncertain that even under its very limiting assumptions it facilitated a huge range of plausible outcomes. I also think I remember that it was intended as a ballpark estimator to make a broad point, and not as a serious predictive tool. YMMV, etc.

Still, the general point, that there may well be, or perhaps there is even a strong probability of, intelligent life elsewhere, but we may never cross paths because of the vastness of the Universe, I think that’s still a strong possibility to think about seriously. :)

But you know, the chance that lightning is going to hit you seems pretty low, until, well, it hits you, and then how did that math work out. :eek:

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if they did happen to have something like a thousand years on us, then nothing’s off the table in my view.

What if they have a million years on us? Or ten million years on us? Just as plausible. They've worked out how to manipulate space-time and can go anywhere they want instantaneously using some version of the Einstein-Rosen bridge,

Or they could be from another dimension. None of these things can be ruled out as they are all theoretically possible, and there is a phenomena that requires some explanation.

mansr

Major Contributor
I searched this thread and was surprised nobody's mentioned the Drake Equation. The universe is so big, and so old, it's virtually certain that there are other forms of sentient life. But time is so vast, and the speed of light so slow, that it's almost equally certain that we'll never meet any of them.
The Drake equation is useless. Half the factors are not only unknown but unknowable, and each of them might be anywhere within several orders of magnitude. You'll do just as well by simply picking a number at random.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What if they have a million years on us? Or ten million years on us? Just as plausible. They've worked out how to manipulate space-time and can go anywhere they want instantaneously using some version of the Einstein-Rosen bridge,

Or they could be from another dimension. None of these things can be ruled out as they are all theoretically possible, and there is a phenomena that requires some explanation.
I think you meant an Ellis Traversable Wormhole. Easy peasy! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_wormhole

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

canna' change the laws of physics captain

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Drake equation is useless. Half the factors are not only unknown but unknowable, and each of them might be anywhere within several orders of magnitude. You'll do just as well by simply picking a number at random.

I wouldn't say it was useless. The Drake equation is at least a scientific attempt to qualtify the likehood that we are not alone. It does help to separate factors which we understand, from those which we have some knowledge and those which we have no understanding of or ability to measure. I agree that whilst the equation includes some factors of which we don't have a clue, then it's output has no practical use. But I don't think that was the original point of the equation.

Last edited:

Chester

huh - when I was a physics major they did NOT tell me there was an absence of data on the laws of physics

Choosing the right school is tough……don’t worry too much about it :D

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Choosing the right school is tough……don’t worry too much about it :D

It was one of the xIT's.

I know you are trying to use grade school humor to cover up ignorance, but it is not working.

Top Bottom