• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: desk orientation for nearfield listening

Which desk orientation?

• Perpendicular to wall (right speaker close to wall)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Parallel to wall (listening position ~2’ from back wall)

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t want my desk against the wall, so I’m reconfiguring the home office. The aesthetically acceptably options are:

1) Short side of desk against the “back” wall. This will result in the right speaker being near the wall and the left speaker in free space. The back wall and left wall will be far from the LP.

2) Desk in free space parallel to “back” wall, seat between desk and “back” wall. In this configuration the speakers will both be in free space, but the “back” wall will be about 2’ from the back of the seat in normal working/listening position.

Other considerations:
-Room correction: Dirac Live (miniDSP SHD Studio)
-Speakers: Neumann KH 80 DSP + 2 subs
-No “treatments” around the room except for normal home office furnishings
-No interest in trying both and comparing :)

Which would you pick, and why?

TimVG

Major Contributor
I'd take #2 being a stickler for symmetrical setups whenever possible. If you're not into any permanent acoustical solutions, a freestanding absorber to take care of that rear wall reflection, should it bother you, is perhaps an option.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Top Bottom