• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Which of the following amps will look best with the rest of my system?

• Devialet Expert 400 (current amp)

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Luxman L509X

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • McIntosh MA8900

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Technics SU R1000

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Yamaha AS 3200

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Nice casework -- but --
Looks like its packed pretty tight(ly) inside.
... and...
Two big knobs to do everything looks like it may leave something to be desired in terms of ergonomics.

Just my opinions, of course -- no more & no less.

EDIT:

I also note, wryly, the use of that huge-mongous ;)toroidal power transformer -- in the context of a recent thread here.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-linear-transformers-so-much-over-smps.10102/

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't ask me why but this is the third mention of T+A and I am now thinking that Schiit tried to outdo the competition. :oops:
“so that the phase effects of high-frequency rolloff do not change the harmonic structure of the audible frequencies. Rolloff in the very high overtones of musical information has phase effects, which can change the harmonic character of much, much lower fundamental frequencies within the audio band.”

Any evidence for that assertion from the maker of the $23,000 amplifier?

TimF

Forum Donor
I refuse to believe that the best looking, whatever that means, is innately and naturally and fundamentally tied to cost/expensiveness. This is a wonderful example of conditioning, posturing (as in economic class), and symbolization of consumer goods. You mean to say there aren't drop-dead gorgeous and wondrous looking low priced, or lower priced products? And don't tell me these favored machines are lower priced products in relation to the hyper priced products. You can lead a horse to water but it won't touch it unless it is the high priced brand. Let us be more imaginative.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I refuse to believe that the best looking, whatever that means, is innately and naturally and fundamentally tied to cost/expensiveness. This is a wonderful example of conditioning, posturing (as in economic class), and symbolization of consumer goods. You mean to say there aren't drop-dead gorgeous and wondrous looking low priced, or lower priced products? And don't tell me these favored machines are lower priced products in relation to the hyper priced products. You can lead a horse to water but it won't touch it unless it is the high priced brand. Let us be more imaginative.

I don't think anyone, in this thread, asserted that best looking is tied to being expensive.

If they did, I must have missed it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha has offered in the past very nice simply stated attractive looking components in the "Titanium" series. It's a darker silver color like stainless steel but a little darker and more shiny. The stuff was available from about $500 for a receiver plus peripheral components where available too. One needed to find a store that offered the product. Many stores only offered the black finish.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If two other members give me the 'thumbs up'; we can probably split the cost in thirds and nominate this Dan D'Agostino as being below $10k limit.
202109_DAgostino30Comp.jpg

The inner beauty is subpar compared to the frontal view.

Plan9

Wish this had been an integrated amp...looks like one..nice design regardless...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-29-20-39-47.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-29-20-39-47.png
    594.5 KB · Views: 74

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agreed at first, but tried it out, liked it, bought it.
“At the risk of suffering disdain herein:

Electronics - measurement, measurement and measurement; if measurement in the audible spectrum is poor...forgeddaboutit!

Transducers aka speakers - the most important link in the reproduction process! First, measurement - obvious design flaws manifested in Klippel analysis remove from consideration (even if removable by electronic manipulation; room issues excepted).

Finally, and this is always personal, does the reproduction of musical material that I like please me.

My most recent purchase was the Cambridge EVO and KEF R3s and a SVS Sub, initiated by reviews in ASR. Damn fine sound!”

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have very much enjoyed this thread!

Two of my most favorite contributors are here: Doodski and Blumlein 88! They make my days a bit more bright! Thanks!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't be the only one that would rather fully hide their A/V gear and all of the #$%^ visible cables associated with them.202109_VisibileOrHiddenAV.jpg
Or maybe because my remaining AV hardware are just brown-bag fugly...

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't be the only one that would rather fully hide their A/V gear and all of the #$%^ visible cables associated with them.View attachment 156397
Or maybe because my remaining AV hardware are just brown-bag fugly...

Nope, not the only one.

I seek as clean a look at possible in my listening room, so everything but my speakers is in a separate room down the hall. I even "bury" the speaker cables in the room's shag rug so it doesn't even look like the speakers have cables!

It's not that I don't want to see my gear at all. I like the look of much of my gear - my tube amps, my turntable etc. But for the listening room I want serenity and lack of distraction. Too many cables make me uncomfortable. (Possibly scarred due to having spent years knee deep in cabling, working on movie sets and in movie production rental places).

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This caught my eye.

It's Roon Ready. It has VU-meters. It has a built-in-DAC, phono stage, wireless antennas:

RKKu7PkzB3CDiTFaENWTGc-1200-80.jpg.webp

But I can't tell if it has sub-woofer out / pre-out.

A bit over budget at $18K, but, hey, megacorp's stock is at an all time high and it's not like I can blow money on a nice vacation these days....

What Hi Fi review:

Top Bottom