• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Which of the following amps will look best with the rest of my system?

• Devialet Expert 400 (current amp)

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Luxman L509X

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • McIntosh MA8900

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Technics SU R1000

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Yamaha AS 3200

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom C

Major Contributor
It’s good lookin’, that’s for sure. My wife saw one (or similar D’Agostino) at Munich High End and wanted to get one…until she learned the price.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@watchnerd the detented volume control is cool. Not sure if the noise of it rotating would be appreciated long term but it's there.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I'm done with separates at this stage in my life.

The Devialet has spoiled me to the lack of clutter and the usability of a powerful all-in-one amp/streamer.
Nothing wrong with the Devialet if it is working for you. But the Linn Selekt DSM could be interesting for better software support. But lack of clutter and friendly design is one of the strengths of Devialet, including their Phantom. Sound quality, ignoring price is very good.

#1 problem with Devialet (at least the Phantoms) is software and I downgraded to a Sonos for reliable software.

I wasn’t sure if your $10K budget is just for the amp or if that accounts for trade in of your Devialet. I would consider getting

As it’s 360 deg tweeter will be something special.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Nothing wrong with the Devialet if it is working for you. But the Linn Selekt DSM could be interesting for better software support. But lack of clutter and friendly design is one of the strengths of Devialet, including their Phantom. Sound quality, ignoring price is very good.

#1 problem with Devialet (at least the Phantoms) is software and I downgraded to a Sonos for reliable software.

I wasn’t sure if your $10K budget is just for the amp or if that accounts for trade in of your Devialet. I would consider getting

As it’s 360 deg tweeter will be something special.

I haven't had any software problems with the Devialet Expert.

I use it with Roon and it works fine.

Not shopping for speakers, as I recently upgraded mine.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't had any software problems with the Devialet Expert.

I use it with Roon and it works fine.

Not shopping for speakers, as I recently upgraded mine.

Yeah, the Expert line appears to be much more reliable than the Phantom. In that case, I would say just stick with the Devialet!

Do your speakers have a SAM profile?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeah, the Expert line appears to be much more reliable than the Phantom. In that case, I would say just stick with the Devialet!

Do your speakers have a SAM profile?

Yes, they recently added (to my surprise) a SAM profile for the Dynaudio Heritage Special that I use.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Audio Research's new I/50.

Only $5K in bare bones version. DAC module can be added.

I50-White.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@watchnerd this is the phonO module I think. Does it require a different module for both MM & MC? The display tubes are a very nice touch and the silver finish & layout is superb. 50w/ch should get most avg efficiency speakers to a loud level.
ar.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well, the Technics SU-R1000 is out of the running, as apparently it has issues with reactive speaker loads, according to Noel Keywood's October 2021 review:

"If you want a powerful amplifier in a small case, a Class D NCore amplifier from Hypex (Netherlands) has become a popular choice" I said last month. Reason being NCore has overcome all the problems of Class D, notably high frequency distortion, load sensitivity and D.C. on the loudspeaker terminals.

So I was a bit taken aback to encounter all these problems on Technics new SU-R1000 Reference not-Class D amplifier you can read about on p10. I have to call it that at their insistence, but that it's not Class D is a technicality: all the same issues arise. It is what is commonly termed an 'analogue switching amplifier'. These have been around for 20 years or more, without gaining popularity – so a surprise that Technics should try again in unconvincing fashion."

Last edited:

H-713

I can't put my finger on why, but I still love the look of the old Crest power amps. I've got a 3301, and for some reason I really love the look. I also really like the look of the old linear Macro-Tech amps. Again, I can't figure out why, but they look fantastic to me. Well, when they aren't beat to hell, that is.

Beyond that I think some of the old Marantz receivers from the 1970s look fantastic. The Phase Linear 700 also looks fantastic, but isn't a particularly great amplifier (okay, it's pretty crusty).

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Stereophile just posted a review of the SU-R1000:

It's a bit rolled off in the top octave for 4 ohm resistance.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The L-590AXII arrived today.

The amber meters were a good choice, they definitely matched the aged, patina'ed, and incandescent bulb meters on my ReVox and Studer decks better than the bright white.

I can *smell* the amplifier heating up from the quite cold state the weather was in when it arrived.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The L-590AXII arrived today.

The amber meters were a good choice, they definitely matched the aged, patina'ed, and incandescent bulb meters on my ReVox and Studer decks better than the bright white.

I can *smell* the amplifier heating up from the quite cold state the weather was in when it arrived.
Wowowow! Big day for the new Luxman amp debut/reveal.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When it comes to aesthetics in audio, I sometimes wonder what amps and dacs and receivers would look like if it were a female dominated hobby instead. There would probably be more units with a style I like better. A sleek black or silver unit is fine though. I don't need receivers to be super good looking, and it would limit my choices based on aesthetics. For speakers, that is harder because I'm not going to cover my speakers with an acoustically transparent screen to hide them. They will always be part of the decor whether I like it or not.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When it comes to aesthetics in audio, I sometimes wonder what amps and dacs and receivers would look like if it were a female dominated hobby instead. There would probably be more units with a style I like better. A sleek black or silver unit is fine though. I don't need receivers to be super good looking, and it would limit my choices based on aesthetics. For speakers, that is harder because I'm not going to cover my speakers with an acoustically transparent screen to hide them. They will always be part of the decor whether I like it or not.

Electronics can be put into all sorts of different enclosures, hidden away, or built into furniture like in the old console days.

Speakers are much trickier, though, because.....well, physics.

I always liked the looks of my Martin Logan electrostats. Lots of non-audio guests commented on them.

And, hey, they were featured in 'Friends'.

Top Bottom