• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Which of the following amps will look best with the rest of my system?

• Devialet Expert 400 (current amp)

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Luxman L509X

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • McIntosh MA8900

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Technics SU R1000

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Yamaha AS 3200

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
g973STRBK-o_angle.jpg
Anthem STR Integrated
I believe my choice would be the Anthem. I'm pretty sure that large front display is configurable to show 2 large VU meters and other displays. It includes the ARC room correction software that's capable of DRC on at least 2 and maybe 4 subwoofers? I listened to one tuning and driving the TOTL Paradigm towers at the 2018 Tampa audio show and gave it my "Best Of Show". Designed, engineered, and Crafted in Canada! Available in black or white.
https://www.anthemav.com/products-c.../model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=overview

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not that I'm suggesting anyone buy them, but for a modern Scandinavian design aesthetic, I like the looks of the orange Alluxity gear, which were
paired with Joseph speakers in Munich:

https://i2.wp.com/parttimeaudiophil.../2019/05/Munich-2019-high-end-he-joseph11.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/parttimeaudiophil.../05/Munich-2019-high-end-he-joseph8.jpg?ssl=1

http://www.alluxity.dk/

Looks like a Micromega.

Or an NAD M33 without the knobs.

But I already own something even more minimalist.

Devialet400-900px.png

If I'm going to change for the sake of looks, it would be in the totally opposite aesthetic direction.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At one point 10 years ago I was also looking at a Manley Stingray or Cary SLI-80. Bought a Rogue audio Cronus integrated instead. I wish I had bought one of the others! I liked the Cronus but it was very sensitive wrt noise from the 12AU7 preamp tube. I also had to replace the power supply caps and diode bridge after 3 years. The price of those others has skyrocked too. In oz RRP on those two has almost doubled in 10 years. It looked great though.
cronus.jpg

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SNR spec of 82 dB.

This is the anti ASR SINAD choice. :)
Yeah, 70dB at Amir's 5W point of reference, so not even 12 bits. Good enough for vinyl I suppose and where the distortion may also exceed that of the amp, in ultralinear at least perhaps. I won't be spending the A$7500 for that or the >A$10,000 on the Stingray.

I used to like the industrial look of the Krell KAV-300i I just sold, but the most recent incarnation doesn't do it for me. What is up with that bulge/nose thing?

Krell_K_300i_Integrated_Stereo_Amplifier_Hero-Stack-1024x683.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeah, 70dB at Amir's 5W point of reference, so not even 12 bits. Good enough for vinyl I suppose and where the distortion may also exceed that of the amp, in ultralinear at least perhaps. I won't be spending the A$7500 for that or the >A$10,000 on the Stingray.

I used to like the industrial look of the Krell KAV-300i I just sold, but the most recent incarnation doesn't do it for me. What is up with that bulge/nose thing?

View attachment 97663

The looks do not match the price, that's for sure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd get the Lux 509x, The Yamaha AS-3000 or the Accuphase if I wanted a decent, current model, integrated amplifier.

But I have plenty of vintage integrated amplifiers I way prefer to any posted in this thread. I'd be a hard sell to.

Most of the ones pictured so far look cheap, are trying too hard to be different, or are covered with up/down left/right, menu/enter buttons which have no place on proper high fidelity gear.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649677283-boulder-866-integrated-amplifier/

1607320503814.png

For something less like Accuphase/Mcintosh/Luxman and more like Soulution/Goldmund in design, Boulder's new 866 (released just a few months ago) is starting to appear on the secondary market lightly-used for around 10k. Retails 12k for analog and 14k for streaming.

1607320606873.png

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/Esoteric-F-07-Integrated-Amplifier

For 7.5k you could also go with another rarefied, overbuilt Japanese option: Esoteric F-07, probably the highest-end Japanese brand outside of TAD and a few boutique builders. The bigger F-05 is 10k but I think F-07 has enough power.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like how some of these integrated amps have MM/MC and no subsonic/rumble filter. I checked specs and read the Yamaha AS-3000 owner's manual and no mention of a subsonic filter. The Luxman has MM/MC and no subsonic mention either. The Accuphase E-480 does away with the phono input and offers optional card slots for digital ccty. If a person is spending the bucks and getting MM/MC they should as a basic minimum get subsonic too. :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If a person is spending the bucks and getting MM/MC they should as a basic minimum get subsonic too.

Absolutely agree with this. Not only should there be an excellent RIAA MM stage, and an MC front end, there should be subsonic and loading options for both the MM and MC.

Yamaha has been asleep at the wheel of proper integrated amplifiers since the early DSP/HT/AVR days and even their upper tier integrateds have pretty average phono stages and phone specs. Disappointing when compared to their designs of old.

I think the Yamaha, Lux, Accuphase and to a lesser extent the Esoteric, nail the aesthetic.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another thing that's a must for me is fantastic tactility with input switching and volume control. That's the main part of the user experience in an integrated, and for that sort of price it better be more than merely the good old RK27, with fantastic feel, overbuilt reliability and exemplary channel balance. The old high-end Japanese firms nail it - Luxman, Esoteric and Accuphase all have trick relay systems and sweat over knobs and bearings and weights.

It's disappointing to see so many megabuck boutique amps still wedded to the RK27 or worse. I suppose part of it is because if you're a company that size, developing a trick volume control (digital or relay) or even just a high-end pot like the RK50/TKD is a massive burden on BOM for something most unwitting retail customers aren't hung up about. It might not also be within the company's technical capabilities. Which makes it even more puzzling for me why the standard-bearers of Japanese high-end were all already developing such advanced controls back in the 90s/00s. Now at least you have digital-based attenuation, but extraordinary analog attenuation is expensive as hell.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Absolutely agree with this. Not only should there be an excellent RIAA MM stage, and an MC front end, there should be subsonic and loading options for both the MM and MC.

Yamaha has been asleep at the wheel of proper integrated amplifiers since the early DSP/HT/AVR days and even their upper tier integrateds have pretty average phono stages and phone specs. Disappointing when compared to their designs of old.

I think the Yamaha, Lux, Accuphase and to a lesser extent the Esoteric, nail the aesthetic.

Given the investment Technics has made reviving their TT line, I thought the Grand Class might get it right.

But it appears to be MM only.

Top Bottom