• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Reserve R350 Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 122 52.4%
  • Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 98 42.1%
  • Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

Tks

Major Contributor
Maybe someone should make a coaxial mid-range+tweeter for this use and problem would be solved.

I've always wanted to ask. Is there any inferior aspect of coaxial designs (barring R&D cost of getting it performing properly/and of course the lesser power output I suppose) compared to multi-driver designs? We've seen Genelec demonstrate how superior their designs are... I'm just not understanding why doesn't every company offer a design like this? Or in the case of virtually every other instance of industry - whenever a newer more superior standard arises, the old one is slowly phased out entirely eventually. So what's the hold up?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Why 3 ways ?
Wouldn't the ideal solution be coaxial 2 ways ?
Why would you need bass from a center speaker ?
Well I do agree with you. I think people go overboard with what they think home theater should be. I look at home theater and music listening as two totally different things.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I get the whole 'marketing' schtick—but—these are being marketed as LCR speakers. In a vertical orientation where the measured vertical dispersion now becomes the horizontal dispersion, you get a fairly wide soundstage. However, you are now left with terrible vertical dispersion. With the narrow dispersion of the tweeter, if the tweeter isn't pointed directly at your head, you get the effect that @amirm mentions. This would drive most listeners insane having to keep their head locked in one position to get good dialog intelligibility.

All-in-all, this is one design that lacks whichever way you orient them.

It's a matter of debate whether narrow vertical dispersion is a necessarily a bad thing. While, this is narrower than I would like, it also lessens the effect of the ceiling and floor reflections, which are the ones that appear to most adversely affect timbre. Indeed some designers consider it a benefit, and your vertical angle is less likely to change while sitting from 9-10 feet away than your horizontal angle.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am shocked to see how many people are rating this speaker less than "fine", despite Amir's positive impressions from his listening position:

My listening situation is as you see in the above picture. I had pointed the speaker toward me so listening on-axis initially. Response there was good. I felt no need to mess with EQ, nor was it going to be easy to develop EQ for those minor variations.

Of course things get bad for other listeners which means I wouldn't buy it, but it is arguably quite good for that one person.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am shocked to see how many people are rating this speaker less than "fine", despite Amir's positive impressions from his listening position:

Of course things get bad for other listeners which means I wouldn't buy it, but it is arguably quite good for that one person.

But it's specifically a center speaker. You don't even need a center for a single person sitting in the sweet spot.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

Center channels are to anchor the dialog on the screen even if one is sitting off to the side. It is mainly for everyone else except the main listening position.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's the 3-way center speakers I found under US$500/ea (sorted $-$$):
1. Polk Audio LSiM 704c
US$250
2. Airmotiv C1+ Center
US$250
3. SVS Prime Center
US$350
4. Monoprice THX-365C THX
US$400
5. Airmotiv C2+ Center
US$400
6. Aperion Audio Novus N5C
US$500

Of course, I'd like to see these on the test bench for a definitive say whether they are good or something is broken.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Polk even made a 3-way center, the LSiM 704c, I guess it's discontinued now(maybe wrong about this, it's so hard to tell if things are just out of stock or gone...). It was like, 2 inches higher I suppose, but yikes. There are reasonably priced 3-way centers out there like the Emotiva C1+ and Monoprice 365C. And of course all the coaxials from Kef.

These bad 2-way centers bug me, because they ruin the whole speaker line for home theatre basically, even when the bookshelf/floorstanders are pretty good/great.
Don't forget the giant Infinity 3 way center. It took so much effort to figure out how to fit under TV. Lower top self coupled with high TV placement?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's ridiculous Polk can't or won't do better.
Polk even made a 3-way center, the LSiM 704c, I guess it's discontinued now(maybe wrong about this, it's so hard to tell if things are just out of stock or gone...)
Polk can make great speakers. Keep in mind the LSiM was their previous flagship line and is discontinued.

The Reserve is NOT their flagship line.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Home theater in a head vice? Alone or at a nursing home?
A good home theater system should sound the same no matter where you are in the room.

Pretty easy to do with very simple speakers actually. Two-ways with a four-inch woofer all around is enough imo for the fronts, center, satellites, and add a good subwoofer for an excellent home theater experience. Of course very large rooms could be different. Ymmv

nerdoldnerdith

It looks pretty good...

If you put it on its side.

It seems to me that if you can't use a properly-designed three-way center channel, your best bet would be to use no center channel at all, or maybe a short bookshelf if you can make it fit. I have no center for my TV and it sounds fine.

deprogrammed

Polk even made a 3-way center, the C, I guess it's discontinued now(maybe wrong about this, it's so hard to tell if things are just out of stock or gone...). It was like, 2 inches higher I suppose, but yikes. There are reasonably priced 3-way centers out there like the Emotiva C1+ and Monoprice 365C. And of course all the coaxials from Kef.

These bad 2-way centers bug me, because they ruin the whole speaker line for home theatre basically, even when the bookshelf/floorstanders are pretty good/great.
The LSi M 706c and LSi M 704c are available on the Polk web site. Looks like the new legend series is 3 way as well.

beaRA

This is why I use an LSiM 704c with my Reserve R500 towers. There are a lot of lazy takes in this thread on the engineering capability of Polk. This is a speaker with compromises clearly made to fit a constrained form factor. It is disingenuous to cherry pick it as an example to confirm your bias against Polk while ignoring all of their well designed products.

beaRA

Top Bottom