• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Reserve R200: Spinorama and measurements (a really nice surprise!)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Honestly your observations are not supported by the objective data. That should be end of story here.

Additionally, multiple reviewers and very experienced member/owners here have contradicted your subjective observations. Another end of story.

Try to find out whats wrong with your system.
As I said it is possible, though less likely than not, that both speakers have a manufacturer flaw (incorrect components in the crossovers.)
If they are indeed to Spec, then...
My observations are supported by the measurements I took and will post soonish which are objective data and further supported by the subjective listening as well which is obvious and not subtle at all.
I am not Sean Olive but I am also not a newb at all.
You have no curiosity?
Whenever I hear end of story that is a major red flag.
I looked at all of your posts on ASR, and bless your heart you are not Floyd Toole or even close..
I have 20 other speakers here now. This is not a thought exercise friend.
I want to get to the bottom of this.
Besides, looking at the objective data others have presented I am seeing extraordinary fall off from the tweeter staring at 5k just like my own testing.
In the meantime, get out your laptop take some measurements with your mic and REW of your Revels and the RC263's and the POLK R100's you have.
We can compare. I'd like to see what you are getting since you have something close to the R200's.
-Calibrate equal SPL with 500-2500hrz pink noise
-For each speaker take a 1meter sweep on tweeter, gate it
-60degree 1metter at tweet level, gate it
-(30degree might be cool if you have time, I only did this for a couple speakers as I ran out of time to measure)
-MMM energy capture from the listening position in a smallish zone for maybe 1-1.5 people. run for maybe 20-30seconds and smooth just a bit to 1/24.

sdiver68

As I said it is possible, though less likely than not, that both speakers have a manufacturer flaw (incorrect components in the crossovers.)
My observations are supported by the measurements I took and will post soonish which are objective data and further supported by the subjective listening as well which is obvious and not subtle at all.
You have no curiosity?
I looked at all of your posts on ASR, and bless your heart you are not Floyd Toole or even close..
Besides, looking at the objective data others have presented I am seeing extraordinary fall off from the tweeter staring at 5k just like my own testing.
In the meantime, get out your laptop take some measurements with your mic and REW of your Revels and the RC263's and the POLK R100's you have.
We can compare. I'd like to see what you are getting since you have something close to the R200's.
-(30degree might be cool if you have time, I only did this for a couple speakers as I ran out of time to measure)
-MMM energy capture from the listening position in a smallish zone for maybe 1-1.5 people. run for maybe 20-30seconds and smooth just a bit to 1/24
There are easily available spinoramas for all my speakers. The only thing REW will tell you is my room interactions.

Good luck.

Urvile

You have no curiosity?
-MMM energy capture from the listening position in a smallish zone for maybe 1-1.5 people. run for maybe 20-30seconds and smooth just a bit to 1/24.
I've got the R700, which has measured very well, and I think it a wonderful speaker, and it shares the same tweeter. I disagree with choice of words. "That should be end of story here." I wish "Try to find out whats wrong with your system." was the only comment.

I do think something is wrong with your speakers, some combination of defect, or interaction with room or amp.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

cd45123

@ROOSKIE yeah, good question. If I said M16, I actually meant the M106. I just had issue with certain songs where the singer’s voice wasn’t in primary focus and there were certain beats in the mid band that would overshadow voices. I have noticed this on other well measuring speakers, but only really becomes an issue with certain pop tracks and even then, it’s somewhat subtle.

sdiver68

Apparently prices are not rising on everything.

Best Buy has black versions on sale for $577 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-a...s-imax-enhanced-black/6465726.p?skuId=6465726

Crutchfield and other places have other color options for $649
Thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting for the sale to come back down to BF prices.

Now do I go for R600 or R700..to put up against my Inf R263 and Revel F206 for main system supremacy.

VAB5

FWIW, here's a head to head (umm... so to speak) comparison of the size of the titular R200 and the well-known ;) ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2

Maybe I missed it, but did you post your impressions of the R200 vs. the Debut 2.0 B6.2? I have the Elacs and I'm really curious how much of an upgrade the R200 would be. Thanks!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Maybe I missed it, but did you post your impressions of the R200 vs. the Debut 2.0 B6.2? I have the Elacs and I'm really curious how much of an upgrade the R200 would be. Thanks!
Well... I mean... kinda...

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting for the sale to come back down to BF prices.

Now do I go for R600 or R700..to put up against my Inf R263 and Revel F206 for main system supremacy.
I will be interested to see what you think. In my mind, the F206 is very difficult to beat.

The F206 has wide, even directivity. The R700 has narrowing directivity in the treble region and is less wide and even overall. You may prefer one or the other depending upon your room and your preferences.

I had the LSi703 with a similar tweeter for many years, and very much prefer the directivity characteristics of the F206.

Compare these sound power curves, which usually closely match predicted in-room response:

squishified.jpg

Revel Performa3 F206 Spoinorama SP.png

The F206 on-axis response is not pretty, but that is not what Revel prioritized here. The constant, wide directivity and smooth sound power allows you to sit off axis and enjoy a very smooth in-room response. (This is something Danny Richie continually misses in his crossover mods, IMHO.)

Similarly, the directivity indices are better for the F206 overall (lower slope, more continuity).

I know which speaker I would rather have...

(Of course the R600 or R700 may be better than the R200.)

Last edited:

Darkscience

How do I compare the R200 vs the R100 for surround sound speakers? I have the R700 as mains. Do I just go for R200? What makes one or the other better for surround?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The R200 is probably overkill for surround use. Indeed, the R100 is probably overkill, too... but if an all Polk "Reserve Series" loudspeaker array is the goal... I'd think that the R100 was the way to go.
Strictly uninformed opinions, though. I don't "do" multichannel.
You might (?!?) want to ask folks at the Polk forums, as well. There are HT/multichannel folks there.

Darkscience

Thanks, full Reserve array is the goal. I am going to use your suggestion and ask the Polk crowd. A Polk theme with the ES20 could be a possibility too I guess, Amir loved it.

Transmaniacon

The R100 would be plenty for surround use unless you listen to a lot of multi-channel music.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
After many years and lots of money spent, I find surround speakers do not matter much unless you are into multi-channel music. Those channels in movies are generally low in level and reserved for mostly ambient, atmospheric sound and transient special effects. I use Polk 65-RT in-walls in my current media room, and they work as well as anything I have tried. I paid less than $100 each for them.

Fuzziekiwi

Ordered the M16 and R200 to compare to my DBR62.

I don't think I can bring myself to return the R200. I think they've dethroned the DBR62. They are just very musical and offer that little bit of treble that the DBR62 is missing. They are playing pretty much every track I throw at it just right for me!

Edit: Holy moly and these can go super loud without losing composure or becoming too harsh.

Last edited:

crappypanther

Ordered the M16 and R200 to compare to my DBR62.

I don't think I can bring myself to return the R200. I think they've dethroned the DBR62. They are just very musical and offer that little bit of treble that the DBR62 is missing. They are playing pretty much every track I throw at it just right for me!

Edit: Holy moly and these can go super loud without losing composure or becoming too harsh.
How does Revel M16 compete with them? And which ones do you like more at low and moderate volume levels?

enioentity

Im also curious about that! I have r200 and have them set up as desktop speakers for my pc, nearfield(hehe kinda overkill but i wanted big sound) they are quite nice! I also paired them with monolith ''10'' subwoofer( not really needed, but sub gives deep bass for movies and effects in games)

Top Bottom