• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk R700 Review by Audioholics

SlowCar

Exactly. I was lucky enough to listen both of them in recent couple of days. L600 has impressed me for being really efortless in sound reproduction. Especially lower frequencies (coming from 6 inch midwoofer). Unfortunately i was unlucky enough to listen to R700 connected to avr which for sure had some strange settings set up (sounded like some kind of virtual 3d)...

3125b

Major Contributor
L600 has impressed me for being really efortless in sound reproduction
Those aren't cheap speakers, they're 500€/pair more than KEF R11 for example. They better sound good :)

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About the same price as the JBL stage series list for but with apparently better performance and certainly more promising design. Granted I doubt very many people buy the JBL's for their list price, better comparison is probably the stage models that are currently on sale at a price that competes with the Polk's list. I am just so jaded with decades of Polk crap I will have to hear these to even think about giving them a chance. :rolleyes:

paulgyro

About the same price as the JBL stage series list for but with apparently better performance and certainly more promising design. Granted I doubt very many people buy the JBL's for their list price, better comparison is probably the stage models that are currently on sale at a price that competes with the Polk's list. I am just so jaded with decades of Polk crap I will have to hear these to even think about giving them a chance. :rolleyes:
Sorry I'm not following, what JBL products are you comparing too? If I had to pick between Polk and JBL I'd certainly pick JBL all other things considered. Polk has been killing it recently years objectively and subjectively.

SlowCar

Jbl stage are cheaper?

I have got pretty nice deal on ex demo. 62% of base price. Fighting with myslef if i should go for it or i should try find place where i can evaluate kef r7. Somebody compared l600/r700 with kef r7?

cavedriver

Jbl stage are cheaper?

I have got pretty nice deal on ex demo. 62% of base price. Fighting with myslef if i should go for it or i should try find place where i can evaluate kef r7.
JBL stage were on sale last week. the A180 was $100 each shipped and A190 was $125. This week the Studio 580 is on sale for $300 each, and the 590 is $400 each. That makes all of them less than the list on the Polks despite their list prices being similar. I don't know what the "cheap" price is on the Polks but I assume they can be found with degree of discount.

cavedriver

Sorry I'm not following, what JBL products are you comparing too? If I had to pick between Polk and JBL I'd certainly pick JBL all other things considered. Polk has been killing it recently years objectively and subjectively.
Yeah, I realize Polk has improved apparently. Regarding the JBL's I was basically saying its hard to say which model is price-equivalent to the Polk's because the discounts can be quite steep. Going strictly by list price it would be the "stage" series, but by current sale prices it would be the "studio" series.

EDIT: OOPS! I though the Stage's listed for $1000 each, but they don't. The Studio's do. I suppose that based on discount pricing the next JBL above the Studio's could be the equivalent but I'm not sure what model that is.

Last edited:

SlowCar

I am in Europe and here pricing is pretty different. Reserve 700 goes for around 1250 euro each. Jbl stage 190 is around 500 euro each. Both list price.

cavedriver

I am in Europe and here pricing is pretty different. Reserve 700 goes for around 1250 euro each. Jbl stage 190 is around 500 euro each. Both list price.
Yeah, the R700 is $1100 each on Amazon US right now, I expect that is also the list price. JBL stage 190 list is $500, JBL Studio 590 is $1000 each.

Transmaniacon

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Polk had an excellent F&F sale last year on the "R" series. My pair of R200 were $445 USD* (give or take). At the F&F price (which was, again, to the best of my recollection, 45% off list) they're very, very good loudspeakers by any subjective or objective assessment (including, I'd suggest, aesthetic).

* amusingly, when I ordered them, there was a pop-up for an additional 10% off for new customers. I assumed that the offers couldn't be combined, but I didn't test my hypothesis. Turns out I was wrong :facepalm:, so I could have saved another 10%. Derp.

paulgyro

Polk had an excellent F&F sale last year on the "R" series. My pair of R200 were $445 USD* (give or take). At the F&F price (which was, again, to the best of my recollection, 45% off list) they're very, very good loudspeakers by any subjective or objective assessment (including, I'd suggest, aesthetic).

* amusingly, when I ordered them, there was a pop-up for an additional 10% off for new customers. I assumed that the offers couldn't be combined, but I didn't test my hypothesis. Turns out I was wrong :facepalm:, so I could have saved another 10%. Derp.
Were you purchasing directly from Polk?

Transmaniacon

hdkeith

Excellent. The Polks seem to be less sensitive and 4 ohms so will need more juice to get them kicking. Andrew Robinson seems to really love the R700 and he had reviewed the RP-8000F and seems to like the R700 a bit more praising them as punching far above their weight.

paulgyro

Excellent. The Polks seem to be less sensitive and 4 ohms so will need more juice to get them kicking. Andrew Robinson seems to really love the R700 and he had reviewed the RP-8000F and seems to like the R700 a bit more praising them as punching far above their weight.

Regardless of what manufacturer specs might say all tower speakers are 4 ohms. You want at least 200 watts and good clean power to make your speakers come alive.

Top Bottom