• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk R100 vs R200 for tight space

Apichai

I'm choosing between R100, R200 in my situation. I audition them in shop and like the bass of R200 (and DBR62 for that matters). However, my room is quite limited.
Room size is 11x14 ft. I have to place the speakers on a built-in TV cabinet which is on the 14ft side. The TV cabinet is 5.6 x 1.7 x1.7 (WxHxD). The right side also has another built-in cabinet which run about a feet from wall.

I can't use stand nor subwoofer on the floor in this setup.

My right speaker will be effectively in the corner. L-R speakers will be around 5-6 ft apart. If I choose R100, there will be around 10 inch space from rear wall while the R200 will left me about 6 inch from rear wall. I know it's not optimum for both cases, but please share your thoughts. R100 form factor makes more sense but I'm not sure if it will left me aspire for more bass.

Thanks,

OP
A

Apichai

I can't use stand, nor things on floor due to family reason. Stands on the TV cabinet is OK, but need to fix speakers to prevent fall off.
I certainly can use those ceiling mount upside down on the surface of TV cabinet. Didn't aware that kind of product exist!

Nevertheless, will it make much difference? It will have maybe 1 more feet from the wall, says, from 6 to 18 inch for R200.

Last edited:
I'm late to this but I just picked up the R200's and am powering the with a BoXem 3409/N2 amp. Same issue, speakers are on a bookshelf, about 4-6 inches away from the wall. I do not have an EQ yet for room correction or any room correction specific aftermarket device. I listen to a lot of Synth related music...can be bass heavy at times, for being so close to the wall, as long as you don't crank them and I mean crank them, they sound amazing where they are. Albeit I have shock absorbing pads under the speakers because without it, the bookshelf causes a slightly weird, I can't put my finger on it...sound artifacts?...in the music for base, not much, but foot pads are cheap and they absorb a lot.

Top Bottom