• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Monitor 40 Series II Review (Speaker)

Yup
To you and @beagleman I apologize for succumbing to the all-too-common (and cursed by myself) internet tendency to pop off some non-constructive ill-informed opinion without true consideration.

I HAVE not heard Polk speakers in several years. I was never impressed with any I did hear, but that was way too far back for me to be able to make any useful contribution and certainly not my "judgement." Thank you for the correction. My comments were not properly in the spirit of this valued forum.

Obviously you guys have knowledge of this company's range of speakers. Do you have any models or model ranges you would suggest a buyer should familiarize themselves with? While I am not in the market at the moment, some here might be.

Thanks again.

For budget/entry level the Signature Series do very well for their market space. The LSIM are Fantastic bargains and have good objectives performance but I would never pay "retail'.

Ol'Skool1967

I received a pair of these used Polk Audio monitor-40 and CS-300 center for free when I purchased a pair Infinity's RS-8a. I paid a $150 for the infinity which are in excellent condition. Should I still get a different pair for rear/surrounds?
Equipment is just entry level.
Pioneer Elite VSX- Lx105
Infinity Rs-8a front/main
Polk audio CS-300 center
Infinity SW-12 Subwoofer
Polk's Monitor 40 surround/rear.

Count Dacula

I have a pair that I used for a big room / big TV application. Tucked away behind the screen in a V wedge, they are just about right for the purpose, with good midrange modulation for human voices to articulate in movie dialog. They are actually quite good in this regard, and I can recommend for a MINIMALIST AV that's not necessarily geared towards music. They are compact enough to hide away, but big enough to do the job in a room full of people for sports or MTV videos.

The twin woofers in a compact form is what attracted me, on top of my experience with Polk mobile speakers, which hit a mark of quality / price, where the swap for OE automotive speakers is a no-brainer. Actually a better bet than most other brands, especially considering ASR types are not looking for SOTA sound in their commuter car.

The reason I'm researching now, 6 years after buying them, is I plan on moving them to our Daytona house, for heavy use 3-4 months a year. The question is, can I live with them as my only sound system 1000 miles from home? I know it's a compromise from using a tower speaker from my collection of beater KEFs, or buying nice new bookshelves, like the Q150s I replaced these with (<$250 in walnut, I could not resist). So that was the decision, nicer new speakers at home-home TV, and these older and less-desirable speakers in Florida. I don't want to miss them very much, especially if anything happened to them, even selling the place....I don't want to haul cheap old speakers 1000 miles back home to PA.

It's nice to see/hear the reported low distortion, if memory serves me this is accurate, as well as the weak bass (thanks Amir for the testing) Hooked up to an old Denon or newer Yamaha 202 receiver, I'll have good enough power, plus a little tone control to help things along until I find a sub to plug the basshole. I'll settle for my old FiiO DAC to make it a fully disposable system (with the Yamaha) (is that a valid audio equipment category, "Disposable"?)

So that would be for a 3rd string system with zero emotional baggage. At least I'll get my money's worth from them, and I'll actually look forward to coming back to my home system. ;)

Count Dacula

I finally got all my extra audio together in one spot. Debeuted the Polks again, but it was just about matching up a receiver to them. I'm going with the Yamaha RS-202
20230609_165256.jpg

My ADCOM 545-II is back there, my Parasound in the shop. Back home is my newer 2 systems, more about them some other time.

audioje

A while ago, I bought a new pair for 90. Never thought it was a bad purchase for the dirt cheap price. Just followed the quick & dirty peq by amirm through Wiim peq and it sounds quite okay (wish Wiim had 10 bands). I was going to sell them but now I have a second thought...

Top Bottom