• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Audio size of fronts

AVD8888

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm liking what I see with all the knowlegde. I'm currently investing in a new surround set at home. I went listening and decided to go for the Polk reference serie. R100 for the rears and R300 for the center and R100 or R200 for the fronts. Unfortunately floor standing speakers is a no go if I check with my wife :). I'm going to combine the set with a subwoofer (B&w AWS610 for now) I'm wondering if it would really make a difference if I pick the R100 instead of the R200 for the fronts. It didn't become clear during my listening session as the setup and roomsize was different in the shop. I think the main difference between the two was the low end which can also be handled by the Sub. The R200 are already a bit of a disussion point as they are quite big (especially deep), so I will also have difficulties placing them from the wall. The listening parts of the room is about 4,5meter x 5 meter in a space of 4,5x 13 meter. The set is combined with a Denon avc-X3800. What would be the advice based on this information. Thanks!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It appears the Polk Audio R100 and R200 are both book shelf speakers?

OP
A

AVD8888

Both are indeed bookshelf speakers, but the R200 are considerably larger then the R100. R100 have 5,25"woofer and the R200 6,5". Both sounded good in the shop where the R200 was a bit better on the low end, so I'm wondering if it really matters when I also have the sub.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yea, guess you should get the R100, for front speakers, my two cents.

Zek

Major Contributor
Both are indeed bookshelf speakers
For bookshelf speakers, you need adequate stands, and together they occupy the same volume in the room as if you had floor-standing speakers.

OP
A

AVD8888

Thanks for the quick replies, the speakers will stand on a tv cabinet which is about 3 meters wide so no need for stands.

Mowz

I have the r200s. Do what I did and ask for forgiveness later! Just kidding that was a terrible idea I will never hear the end of it, but I also get to hear the r200s! I use them for surround and r700 and l900 lcr.

The r100s will be fine judging by the freq resp.

Also note the power port on the rear of the r200 extends a bit outside the rear of the speaker.

OP
A

AVD8888

Maybe an option to ask for forgiveness later :). What would be the minimal distance off the wall for the speakers, they are not lacated in a corner

Zek

Major Contributor
the speakers will stand on a tv cabinet which is about 3 meters wide so no need for stands.
This is a very bad option because the vibrations from the speakers are transmitted to the TV cabinet and introduce a dull tone, and the vibrations are also transmitted to the TV itself.

Mowz

This is a very bad option because the vibrations from the speakers are transmitted to the TV cabinet and introduce a dull tone, and the vibrations are also transmitted to the TV itself.
This can be handled a lot of cheap ways -sorbothane pads etc.

FWIW, I had the R200s in a separate living space similar in size to your space and had them wall mounted to play the length of the space and I never came close to maxing them. If you had no sub, these would be the easy choice.

The manual doesn't recommend a distance from the wall. I haven't owned anything Polk before, so I don't know if they never make a recommendation, but the larger reserves are bottom ported and the R100/200 have the power port with waveguide so it might not be as big of an issue if they are close to the wall as with other rear ported speakers. Still best to max the distance in your use case.

Per the manual, the greatest depths:
R100 - 259.5mm
R200 - 353.8mm

I'd still want at least a cm or 2 of leeway because at those distances the waveguide would touch the wall.

I have a Denon x4700 and you can either cross the sub or full range to improve modes. Not sure what the Dirac will allow, but I find Dirac can be really helpful to show the benefits of DSP.

Keeping your receiver and sub in mind, unless your room has some mode issues that would benefit from running these and sub at full range (i.e. particularly in the high 30-low 40hz range where there is arguably some difference depending on how loud you plan to play and your seating distance), you should be more than fine with the R100. The Denon will be able to push the limits of these if they are the only 2 plugged in.

Plus, then you can use the price difference to buy flowers for your wife and take her to dinner. :cool:

Top Bottom