• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Audio Signature S15 Speaker Review

jcebedo11

Amir or anyone who have listened to both the Polk s15 and behringer b2030p. Is the Polk s15 a step up over the b2030p? I have the b2030p crossed over at 80hz to an svs pb1000. based off the measurements, the s15 doesnt seem like it would be better but the sale at Best Buy sure is tempting.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amir or anyone who have listened to both the Polk s15 and behringer b2030p. Is the Polk s15 a step up over the b2030p? I have the b2030p crossed over at 80hz to an svs pb1000. based off the measurements, the s15 doesnt seem like it would be better but the sale at Best Buy sure is tempting.

From objective data think it doesn't really look be any step up, for impedance parameter S15 looks lower than B2030P..
jcebedo11.png

With some EQ optimizing and high passed 4th order Linkwitz Riley @80Hz B2030P looks be as fine as S15...

jcebedo11_1_x1x1_1200mS_EDIT.gif

jcebedo11_2_x1x1_1200mS_EDIT.gif

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
With some EQ optimizing and high passed 4th order Linkwitz Riley @80Hz B2030P looks be as fine as S15...

Hi, BYRTT!

Was wondering... how do you choose to normalize the directivity curves? Is it always primarily based in the power response?

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Hi, BYRTT!

Was wondering... how do you choose to normalize the directivity curves? Is it always primarily based in the power response?

Its EQ optimation relative to the thin black ideal curves and optimized for CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI distance 2 meter farfield or more so bit different than optimazion for KH 80 where they optimize for on axis to name it a smooth nearfield monitor, if interested find them ideal curves attached below as txt-files. Directivity index curve and sound power plus listening window hang relative together in for example if you EQ listening window curve to same form as directivity curve tilted starboard 1,4dB/oct then sound power goes flat as a pancake and if listening window is EQed flat as a pancake then sound power goes a 2,8dB/oct tilted mirror of directivity curve.

Think its easyer to see the effect using JBL 305P MKII as in animated example below, whenever directivity index curve is below its ideal black curve then listening window is EQed to same form as directivity index curve tilted starboard 1,4dB/oct, but whenever directivity index curve is above its ideal black curve then listening window is EQed flat as a pancake :)..

ernestcarl_1_x1x2_1200mS_EDIT.gif

Attachments

• TARGET_ideals.zip
    17.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Its EQ optimation relative to the thin black ideal curves and optimized for CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI distance 2 meter farfield or more so bit different than optimazion for KH 80 where they optimize for on axis to name it a smooth nearfield monitor, if interested find them ideal curves attached below as txt-files. Directivity index curve and sound power plus listening window hang relative together in for example if you EQ listening window curve to same form as directivity curve tilted starboard 1,4dB/oct then sound power goes flat as a pancake and if listening window is EQed flat as a pancake then sound power goes a 2,8dB/oct tilted mirror of directivity curve.

Think its easyer to see the effect using JBL 305P MKII as in animated example below, whenever directivity index curve is below its ideal black curve then listening window is EQed to same form as directivity index curve tilted starboard 1,4dB/oct, but whenever directivity index curve is above its ideal black curve then listening window is EQed flat as a pancake :)..

View attachment 103639

Huh. So the idealized lines are really for 2m distance listening.

Just paraphrasing for brevity (and as a mantra to remember easily),

When DI is below ideal line, LW is EQ'd same as DI.

When DI is above ideal line, LW is EQ'd flat.

Thanks! I think I got the gist of it.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jcebedo11

I recently purchased the Polk s20 for my home gym. Compared to the b2030p, I preferred the treble of the b2030p. The s20 did much much better on the lows though (very strong output to 50hz, usable to 40hz). midrange was about equal.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
How are you generating these graphs? Looks like VCAD but how did you make the deviation from flat graphs?

Yes its VituixCAD and there a guide at this link how to prepare Amir's shared spindata https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-vituixcad-using-amirs-shared-spindata.13136/.

Not shure i understand deviation from flat right but hope below can help a bit :) can say in the first side by visual the listening window pairs are simply normalized as printed over their graphs and the summed listening window at the bottom is spinorama listening window curve divided with on axis curve.

For the two lower animations i use EQ according to reciep explained for ernestcarl into post 64, to calculate those EQ curves i use "Tools/Calculator" offered in CAD software plus a few EQ stuff where colums in some txt-files directly are edited, in practice one can do the same over in REW using "All SPL/Controls/Trace arithmetic" to manipulate curves to whatever target.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes its VituixCAD and there a guide at this link how to prepare Amir's shared spindata https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-vituixcad-using-amirs-shared-spindata.13136/.

Not shure i understand deviation from flat right but hope below can help a bit :) can say in the first side by visual the listening window pairs are simply normalized as printed over their graphs and the summed listening window at the bottom is spinorama listening window curve divided with on axis curve.

For the two lower animations i use EQ according to reciep explained for ernestcarl into post 64, to calculate those EQ curves i use "Tools/Calculator" offered in CAD software plus a few EQ stuff where colums in some txt-files directly are edited, in practice one can do the same over in REW using "All SPL/Controls/Trace arithmetic" to manipulate curves to whatever target.

I see, I forgot about the calculator. Thank you very much.

Teeter

I have had the Polk S-15 for about a year, as my surrounds. They hang down from my basement rafters with decorative chain, angled down just behind my ears, with the tweeters 22" above my head. I use a "S" hook, in the keyhole slot. These S 15's have been perfect as my surrounds.

H-RYCAJ

Is there any difference between the Polk signature s15 and the Polk signature elite s15 other than the price?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Is there any difference between the Polk signature s15 and the Polk signature elite s15 other than the price?

The original Signature Series debuted in 2016. The new Signature "Elite" Series came out in 2021. According to Polk:

Each Signature Elite model will come with mica-fortified, polypropylene woofers and Terylene dome tweeters alongside newly developed precision crossover networks. Additionally, the entire cabinet bracing has been redesigned to reduce unwanted resonances. The new stronger, more rigid and acoustically inert Medite MDF enclosures was refined through numerous revisions, subjected to extensive laser vibrometer testing, and then carefully reinforced to ensure optimal bracing and critical damping.

All Signature Elite models feature Polk’s patented Power Port technology, which helps smooth air flow from the speaker’s down-firing bass port into the listening area. As a result, port noise is reduced, providing more detailed and extended bass response and a more open airy midrange. According to Polk, Power Port typically provides 3dB louder bass output than conventional ported loudspeakers. Polk Audio also says that the new Signature Elite design is also more sensitive than the previous Signature Series that will work well with both 4 or 8 ohm amplifier or receivers.
source: Audioholics

So ... same drivers (and the same Power Port thing) but new crossovers and a new cabinet? The cabinet dimensions are the same between the two models though.

H-RYCAJ

The original Signature Series debuted in 2016. The new Signature "Elite" Series came out in 2021. According to Polk:

source: Audioholics

So ... same drivers (and the same Power Port thing) but new crossovers and a new cabinet? The cabinet dimensions are the same between the two models though.
Thank you for your response!

dgmen

I'd like to see reviews of the newer XT15 and XT20, which are the same price as the S series, and I believe will perform better, as well as the new ES 15 and 20, which cost a little more, but i imagine will perform even better than the S or XT series

Subway2400

I'd like to see reviews of the newer XT15 and XT20, which are the same price as the S series, and I believe will perform better, as well as the new ES 15 and 20, which cost a little more, but i imagine will perform even better than the S or XT series
The XT range is below the Signature range. I doubt that the XT is going to be better !

Colonel7

dgmen

The XT range is below the Signature range. I doubt that the XT is going to be better !
The XT20 costs more than the S20, $299 vs. $249, so I'm not sure they're lower quality, especially since they're a lot newer. When the XT20 was first introduced it was $249, the same price as the S20, but it's just had a $50 price increase. The ES line are definitely higher quality than either of them, but there's a YouTube channel (E Project) that I follow that provides sound samples of a huge range of amps and speakers together, and the XT20 sounds as good or better than the S20 to me there, and in some ways even better than the ES20. However, it's a moot point, since Crutchfield in the US isn't selling the S series anymore, as they have apparently been replaced by the XT series. This can also be confirmed at Polk's own website, where the S20 isn't listed anymore, and the S15 is being sold at a closeout price. So, apparently Polk doesn't think the S series is above the XT series, since it's being replaced by them

Last edited:

Subway2400

In France the XT are sold at a lower price than the Signature. The ES60 is sold twice the price of the XT70. On the Polk forums, it is said that the XT are the entry level. Plus they have cheap passive speakers on the floorstanders instead of true woofers.

The YouTube videos are a pretty limited way of comparing speakers. If you want to buy speakers, I can advise you to go for the ES line.

H-RYCAJ

I recently bought the Polk Signature S20 second-hand, and I sold my Kef Q150's. The S20 cabinets are HUGE! My initial impressions were the S20's are far less boomy than the Kef Q150's, and I increased the bass on my Yamaha RX V4A to make up the difference.

Looking at the basic spec sheet: https://speakerdecision.com/compare/Polk-Audio-Signature-S20-vs-KEF-Q150, I thought the s20's would be a lot boomier. Would what I am personally experiencing line up with the measurements in this review. I know Amir hasn't reviewed the Q150, only the Q350.

Full disclosure I am not an audiophile, and I enjoy music and justifications for marginally better gear resulting in better sound quality.

Top Bottom