• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Audio Signature S15 Speaker Review

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently bought the Polk Signature S20 second-hand, and I sold my Kef Q150's. The S20 cabinets are HUGE! My initial impressions were the S20's are far less boomy than the Kef Q150's, and I increased the bass on my Yamaha RX V4A to make up the difference.
How close to the wall do you keep your speakers?

H-RYCAJ

How close to the wall do you keep your speakers?
I want to say 8-9 inches.

Edit: I am guessing the port on the back of the Polk makes it a safer choice to be closer to a wall reducing the bass? Or at least making the room sound less boomy?

Last edited:

Teeter

I have had the Polk S-15 for about a year, as my surrounds. They hang down from my basement rafters with decorative chain, angled down just behind my ears, with the tweeters 22" above my head. I use a "S" hook, in the keyhole slot. These S 15's have been perfect as my surrounds.
Couple days ago, I took down the Polk S-15 side surrounds, and put back the Klipsch's R-15M, having more punch and detail. But, that is me, using as SR. My HT room is small. I think the S 15 would be good for mains, in a small room, even though bulky and heavy.

I'm mainly a DD movie watcher, so may not have to be so fussy with performance.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Is there any difference between the Polk signature s15 and the Polk signature elite s15 other than the price?
Polk is the only brand that totally confuses me with multiple lines of speakers they offer, that seem very similar or so similar one is confused as to which is entry/mid/upper mid quality or what have you.....

They possibly seem to have multiple lines of speakers going at the same time, with new models and old models BOTH available that are very similar........perplexed....>o_O

Teeter

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Polk is the only brand that totally confuses me with multiple lines of speakers they offer, that seem very similar or so similar one is confused as to which is entry/mid/upper mid quality or what have you.....

They possibly seem to have multiple lines of speakers going at the same time, with new models and old models BOTH available that are very similar........perplexed....>o_O
Yup. It's as though every distinct line has a Doppelgänger.
The weirdest of such duality, to me, is the Signature Series "versus" the Signature Elite.
Weird. :rolleyes:

747192127572_signature_series_s15_studio_pair.png

polk_signature-elite_es15_bookshelf_black_studior_us.png

Perhaps the upcoming acquisition of Sound United by Masimo will lead to some streamlining of the multitude of Polk product lines/models?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

beagleman

Major Contributor
Yup. It's as though every distinct line has a Doppelgänger.
The weirdest of such duality, to me, is the Signature Series "versus" the Signature Elite.
Weird. :rolleyes:

747192127572_signature_series_s15_studio_pair.png

polk_signature-elite_es15_bookshelf_black_studior_us.png

Perhaps the upcoming acquisition of Sound United by Masimo will lead to some streamlining of the multitude of Polk product lines/models?

I think what complicates it, Polks product pages online are not easily browsed as with most speaker manufacturers. They randomly display "lines" of speakers, but fail to actually accurately describe what their "Place" in the line up is.

Reading from above I now get the Signature Elite line up is a slightly revised box and crossover of the Signature line. But Polk does not make it clear, whether one is older/newer or Good/ better or one is replacing the other or whether they co-exist currently.

I feel after browsing, more confused by THEIR site....lol

beagleman

Major Contributor

Perhaps going through each spec.....may help. Or reviews of each if cabinet changed....etc. Or ES replaces the E series for whatever reasons.

I think Polk should make it clear in their descriptions, whether one line (the Elite signature) is simply a better revised version or whether it REPLACES the older basic signature line.

Something like...."After years of success, we revised the signature line and starting in 2022 will replace it with the Signature Elite version...etc"

Or "We now carry 2 lines of the esteemed signature line. One revised with better performance, and you have the choice of both now"

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
With a nod to the realities of 21st Century life*, maybe the ultimate goal for the signature line is two tiers:

Signature Cursive: Passive loudspeakers, monkey coffin enclosures, paper cone drivers, walnut veneer.
SIGNATURE BLOCK CAPS: DSP, powered loudspeakers, connectivity

;)

Last edited:
"This worked well although the shelving filter is a poor choice here (you want a gradual rolling off filter which Roon does not have)."

Are typical consumer surround receivers able to eq a gradual rolling off filter? I was thinking of getting these speakers but nto sure what kind of gear I would need to eq it well

wacomme

How do the S15's compare to the Q Acoustics 3010 speakers?

Teeter

How do the S15's compare to the Q Acoustics 3010 speakers?
I guess read the reviews on both and you decide. Everyone's ears are different..............For critical music?

Last edited:

wacomme

I guess read the reviews on both and you decide. Everyone's ears are different..............For critical music?
I'm finding few reviews about the 3010. There are reviews about the 3020 and some for the 3010i, but hardly anything for the 3010. It's the 3010 I'm seeking due to its small size.

Teeter

I'm finding few reviews about the 3010. There are reviews about the 3020 and some for the 3010i, but hardly anything for the 3010. It's the 3010 I'm seeking due to its small size.
Here is a review on the 3020i, from Amir. The 3010i might be more underrated by Amir, if he had? If you are into measurements, which I am not.

https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3010i/review

If i were to choose.....it would be Polk. I have a pair of S15's and I might put them back as my side surrounds. They are hefty and have nice sound.

dgmen

I don't understand all the confusion. The S series is discontinued and has been replaced by the ES series

Teeter

What confusion? All speaker mfg have the same issues in their listings. No explanations, such as replacement and or changes. The newer models are usually listed first, on the MFG website. Then, go from there.

Teeter

Couple days ago, I took down the Polk S-15 side surrounds, and put back the Klipsch's R-15M, having more punch and detail. But, that is me, using as SR. My HT room is small. I think the S 15 would be good for mains, in a small room, even though bulky and heavy.

I'm mainly a DD movie watcher, so may not have to be so fussy with performance.
Well, I put back the SR Polk S-15's this morning and re-calibrated the HT system. I don't know what I was thinking of in the first place. lol Back to a more overall balanced surround and more engulfing. All current speakers are a good match. I even have the matching ELAC center and the previous PSB Imagine XC, outperforms by a wide margin.

Top Bottom