• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk audio OWM3 review

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Polk audio's OWM3 review.

00.jpeg

Due to its unique structure, vertical orientation could not be measured.
The measurement was based on the middle point between Twitter and Woofer.

The impedance response.

01.png
02.png

There's something around 700 to 800 Hz.

Next, SPL/FR.

03.png

It is flat overall, except that 8k or later is emphasized.

The lower limit is 89.7 Hz (-6 dB) and 109.5 Hz(-3 dB).

Next, the directional data.

04.png
05.png
06.png
07.png

Next, the harmonic distortion.

08.png
09.png
10.png
11.png

There are quite a few second harmonic distortion found in the executive band.

And there's something unusual.
It was not found in the Woofer proximity measurement, but a similar form was found in the Twitter proximity measurement.

12.png

Next, the multi-tone test.

13.png
14.png

Next is the multi-tone distortion for each sound pressure.

15.png

Finally, the compression test.

16.png

I don't have a multi-channel system, and I don't have surround speakers either.
Therefore, you are not familiar with the properties of the ideal surround speaker.

What is your opinion after looking at these data?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just wow, jaw dropping....... That multitone distortion is a whole new dimension in the measurement, I never see that graph on klippel before, it does reveal a lot. Did not read Erin's explanation on his measurement on IMD, I should do but too lazy to do it. So glad there is another great graph to look at and know more about the speaker under test.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Looks like a competent design. I'd be happy to use these as surrounds. The glitch at around 1k seems the only blemish. Elevated high treble will likely be positive for the intended purpose.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Just wow, jaw dropping....... That multitone distortion is a whole new dimension in the measurement, I never see that graph on klippel before, it does reveal a lot. Did not read Erin's explanation on his measurement on IMD, I should do but too lazy to do it. So glad there is another great graph to look at and know more about the speaker under test.

I'm not good at dealing with Klippel dB-lab software yet.
I'll try to refine the data into a more visible form.
Thank you for your interest.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Very cool. @amirm looks like Nuyes has a multitone test that might prove useful?

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Looks like a competent design. I'd be happy to use these as surrounds. The glitch at around 1k seems the only blemish. Elevated high treble will likely be positive for the intended purpose.
This speaker certainly has the advantage of size and design.
In particular, it is impressive that the angle can be adjusted.

And it's amazing that despite all the physical constraints to achieve it, it shows good performance.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This speaker has a serious distortion problem between 400 and 1000 Hz. There are hints in the impedance measurement and a dip in the frequency response. The latter has I think to much smoothing applied so cannot show enough details.

Btw multitone measurements for speakers are not new, Sound & Recording (German magazine) perform those since many years.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
This speaker has a serious distortion problem between 400 and 1000 Hz. There are hints in the impedance measurement and a dip in the frequency response. The latter has I think to much smoothing applied so cannot show enough details.

Btw multitone measurements for speakers are not new, Sound & Recording (German magazine) perform those since many years.
I use 1/12 smoothing.
I'm sorry this didn't provide enough information for the analysis.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Having seen and heard these, wonder if the issue is the enclosure vibrating?

I remember them seeming fairly flat for sure, but not a lot of bass and a tad too much treble, VERY close to what your measurements indicate.
Still quite good for a VERY low priced speaker pair, with only a 4.5" woofer!!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Nuyes

Could you please share a horizontal response plot? I'm interested if an off-axis listening position would provide a flatter response in the high frequencies.

beagleman

Major Contributor

Not sure I would say "Serious", as they are very low priced AND in a plastic type of box, with only a 4.5" woofer.....I mean to me still quite good for what it is.

Now compare it to that Little giant killer.....o_O

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I would say "Serious", as they are very low priced AND in a plastic type of box, with only a 4.5" woofer.....I mean to me still quite good for what it is.

Now compare it to that Little giant killer.....o_O
I don't know the price and neither was it mentioned in the review. Same for the woofer size and the box material. I just stated the facts according to the measured data.

AFAIK the Neumann KH80 DSP has a smaller woofer (4") and a plastic housing and is one of the best measured speakers at ASR. It comes at a price though, that's for certain.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 1/12 smoothing.
I'm sorry this didn't provide enough information for the analysis.
You should use 1/48 smoothing, that is much more revealing. Or ask @amirm what he uses in his graphs. IMV those show the best balance of high resolution and not too much distraction.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I don't know the price and neither was it mentioned in the review. Same for the woofer size and the box material. I just stated the facts according to the measuered data.

AFAIK the Neumann KH80 DSP has a smaller woofer (4") and a plastic housing and is one of the best measured speakers at ASR. It comes at a price though, that's for certain.
Yeah for sure the Neumann measures better. But at almost 6 times the price.

The polks are about $169.99-179.99 a Pair.

I have heard them, and almost certain the 7-800hz distortion is vibrations in the box. When I held them tightly on the sides etc, I could feel it.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard them, and almost certain the 7-800hz distortion is vibrations in the box. When I held them tightly on the sides etc, I could feel it.
It's strange though that the FR doesn't show dips and/or peaks accordingly. Too much smoothing ...

Top Bottom