• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Audio LSiM 703 is this too much speaker for Loxjie A30?

normanh

I have a $500 budget and these are reduced from $750 on Amazon, would I be better off with something more efficient? Full disclosure, the Loxjie hasn't arrived yet so I can refund it and get a different amp, but this room is 15' x 15' and I think it should be able to do the job with the right speakers.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is a quick way to figure out your situation. Others can certainly dial things in further, but I think it'll help you understand your situation.
Amir specs for Loxjie: 40W at 4ohm, 18W at 8ohm.

Speaker measurements: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

85 dB sensitivity and they seem to dip to 4ohms; at least the amplifier covers the latter, but at this point we already know the answer as these are not efficient speakers, but we do a bit better than generalize.

We can utilize a SLP calculator for a decent estimate.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html#anchor_13115

Assuming you will sit 12 feet away from the speakers, the max SLP you will get is around 89 dB at 18W. Note that music is dynamic, so you really want headroom to avoid clipping. This doesn't account for it, so subtract anywhere between 15-20 dB. I would say that technically it is listenable, but you are going to want more power in order to listen to music at moderate levels. Don't even think about turning it up. That said, if you sit closer to the speakers, you can get some more dBs out of this. 100W would get you around 96dB. I would not do with less than 150W if I could. Play around with the calculator though. I myself generally set my system anywhere between 76-82dBs or so depending on my mood, a bit higher if I want to rock out but my ears will fatigue after a while.

Beave

Major Contributor
From what I see on Amazon, they're $399 each.

Keep in mind that other vendors had them on closeout sales for as low as $450-$500/pair a couple of years ago.

They aren't the most efficient speaker, but it would all depend on your listening distance and levels.

OP
normanh

normanh

Keep in mind that other vendors had them on closeout sales for as low as $450-$500/pair a couple of years ago.

They aren't the most efficient speaker, but it would all depend on your listening distance and levels.

Each?? Lawd, I'm so happy I didn't drop the hammer, lol, what kind of thief sells speakers individually?

Thanks for that detailed response, franspambot, we're actually just a few feet from the wall where the speakers will be situated, in an office type environment. I should probably be looking at cheap nearfields, saw these and got all in love with them before I realised how much dinner was going to cost. Not the first time, hah.

Everett T

Forum Donor
The short answer is no, unless you're nearfeild. All of the Polk LSi speakers are not amp friendly below 400hz, with severe phase angles and low impedance.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Each?? Lawd, I'm so happy I didn't drop the hammer, lol, what kind of thief sells speakers individually?
Lots of speakers are sold individually. This not rare at all. Not even remotely.
Plus it is Polk that decided to box the Lsim703 speakers in boxes of 1 per.
They do weight 30+ lbs each so a 1 per makes sense. So does being able to buy 1 for a center channel.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
The short answer is no, unless you're nearfeild. All of the Polk LSi speakers are not amp friendly below 400hz, with severe phase angles and low impedance.
Yah the 703's gave my fairly expensive Musical Fidelity amp a hard time. It clipped at weird times.
My Crown amp powered them like a boss. Total satisfaction.
I don't own any of this stuff anymore but honestly I really enjoyed the Lsim703 speakers. I did get them for a very low price but that was then. Wish I could still find someone to sell me BTC for $25 a coin...

Everett T

Forum Donor
Yah the 703's gave my fairly expensive Musical Fidelity amp a hard time. It clipped at weird times.
My Crown amp powered them like a boss. Total satisfaction.
I don't own any of this stuff anymore but honestly I really enjoyed the Lsim703 speakers. I did get them for a very low price but that was then. Wish I could still find someone to sell me BTC for $25 a coin...
When you get past the difficult load, they are pretty decent speakers. Never understood why manufacturers designed such poorly loads in the mid bass and bass regions. Literally amp killers for those that played at reference levels. Designing crossovers for large manufacturing companies shouldn't be as difficult as the are.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir specs for Loxjie: 40W at 4ohm, 18W at 8ohm.
These stand only as power "before clipping". For apples to apples comparaison when using the SPL calculator, <1% THD+N seems more appropriate IMHO.

Just below 1% SINAD, the A30 outputs ≈30W / 8Ω and ≈53W / 4 Ω

Still too weak for these Polk anyway.

OP
normanh

normanh

Lots of speakers are sold individually. This not rare at all. Not even remotely.
Plus it is Polk that decided to box the Lsim703 speakers in boxes of 1 per.
They do weight 30+ lbs each so a 1 per makes sense. So does being able to buy 1 for a center channel.

Yes, I hadn't thought of the centre channel application, perhaps thief was a bit harsh! But I was literally just about to press the "buy" button before I thought to ask the forum so I'm doubly indebted, firstly on the suitability aspect and secondly on the "single unit" catch.

In my excitement to learn all I could about the A30 - I did what I criticize others for doing constantly, I perused YouTube and found a review by "Z" where he seems to be driving a huge pair of floor standing speakers with an A30. I'm sure if I researched the specs on those speakers they would turn out to be super efficient compared to the Polks.

Anyway, I currently have a Yamaha R-S201BL powering a set of Bose 201 v2 straight from the back of a desktop with no DAC and an Elac debut S8. The speakers were inherited along with an Onkyo amp of about the same vintage and were a huge step up from the tiny powered desktop speakers I had been using. When the Onkyo failed I replaced it with the Yammy which sits on the floor because of a lack of desk space. Unfortunately it competes with a cattle dog for that space, specifically, the cattle dog has been using the volume control as a pillow and now I have a very audible buzz at all volumes and a hellacious noise whenever I adjust the level.

My wife was happy for me to replace the Yamaha as long as I got something small enough to sit on the desk, and BT enabled to allow her to use it easily as a secondary user, myself being the resident "DJ" would be hooked up via USB. The A30 leapt out as a complete solution but during the wait for it to be restocked I scratched below the surface and decided to get a Topping E30 for better DAC values. And then, of course, I recalled my own days as a "budget Hi-Fi enthusiast" where it was drummed into me that the speakers were the most important part of the system and one should spend the same again on them as one had spent on the rest of the kit, combined.

So I've gone around in a big circle, now looking at a pair of Klipsch RP 600M 96db sensitivity (Thank you franspambot!) and also thinking I should really look at alternatives to the A30, which is funny considering I was "building out" from that as a starting point in the first place :D

Thanks very much for your responses, like most I spent months as a guest just reading everything I could and I can't express how valuable this forum is to folk wanting to learn.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Yes, I hadn't thought of the centre channel application, perhaps thief was a bit harsh! But I was literally just about to press the "buy" button before I thought to ask the forum so I'm doubly indebted, firstly on the suitability aspect and secondly on the "single unit" catch.

In my excitement to learn all I could about the A30 - I did what I criticize others for doing constantly, I perused YouTube and found a review by "Z" where he seems to be driving a huge pair of floor standing speakers with an A30. I'm sure if I researched the specs on those speakers they would turn out to be super efficient compared to the Polks.

Anyway, I currently have a Yamaha R-S201BL powering a set of Bose 201 v2 straight from the back of a desktop with no DAC and an Elac debut S8. The speakers were inherited along with an Onkyo amp of about the same vintage and were a huge step up from the tiny powered desktop speakers I had been using. When the Onkyo failed I replaced it with the Yammy which sits on the floor because of a lack of desk space. Unfortunately it competes with a cattle dog for that space, specifically, the cattle dog has been using the volume control as a pillow and now I have a very audible buzz at all volumes and a hellacious noise whenever I adjust the level.

My wife was happy for me to replace the Yamaha as long as I got something small enough to sit on the desk, and BT enabled to allow her to use it easily as a secondary user, myself being the resident "DJ" would be hooked up via USB. The A30 leapt out as a complete solution but during the wait for it to be restocked I scratched below the surface and decided to get a Topping E30 for better DAC values. And then, of course, I recalled my own days as a "budget Hi-Fi enthusiast" where it was drummed into me that the speakers were the most important part of the system and one should spend the same again on them as one had spent on the rest of the kit, combined.

So I've gone around in a big circle, now looking at a pair of Klipsch RP 600M 96db sensitivity (Thank you franspambot!) and also thinking I should really look at alternatives to the A30, which is funny considering I was "building out" from that as a starting point in the first place :D

Thanks very much for your responses, like most I spent months as a guest just reading everything I could and I can't express how valuable this forum is to folk wanting to learn.
Just a note on those Klipsch, the real sensitivity is probably closer to 91 or 92db.

USER

Forum Donor
Please don't thank me if you end up with those Klipsch speakers. I don't want that on my conscious, lol!!!!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/

The Klipschs also seem to go down to 3.2ohm. I am not sure your amp can handle that. My advice is to take some time to read speaker reviews and learn a bit about how to interpret them before you buy anything. Feel free to ask questions on here. It takes some time, but the rewards are immense and you will stay out of trouble. And stay away from youtube videos!!! (Other than ASR, Erin's Audio Corner, and other science-minded channels, of course.) Those other clowns are making it all up as they go.

Amir shows you how to read the reviews here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mkii-and-control-1-pro-monitors-review.10811/

Last edited:
OP
normanh

normanh

That's great advice, I'm grateful for Amazon Prime's easy return policy, lol!

Now I'm off to do my due diligence before committing, I think I got a little drunk on the fact that my better half agreed on a decent budget and wanted to drop the hammer before she had the opportunity to change her mind :D

Thanks so much!

Mark3m

I've just gotten back into audio--who had it on closeout for those prices? I need to start looking for prices like that on other speakers.
Thanks.

Everett T

Forum Donor
I've just gotten back into audio--who had it on closeout for those prices? I need to start looking for prices like that on other speakers.
Thanks.
Amazon is a good start and usually about a month before the new models come out. On Amazon Kef, Polk, and Monitor Audio are a few to watch for. Depending on your budget and listening requirements, you can find good values without sales.

Beave

Major Contributor
Thanks.

Adorama.com had them at the lowest closeout prices I saw. Several other authorized online vendors, including amazon.com and even Polk's own direct sales website, also had them at closeout prices for a while.

highflier

I went ahead and went for the LSiM703's on the Safe and Sounds site. They may have been cheaper at some point in time elsewhere but at this point in time we are probably at the point that there aren't many left. For $800 there may be some comparative or slightly better speakers out there but I already have mid range Polks all the way around in my 7.2 system so wanted to just replace the front mains with these. My existing system is excellent for movie watching but lacks a bit for music and I am hoping these are an improvement. I heard them elsewhere in a friends 2.1 music only system and they sounded fantastic. I know it was under completely different circumstances so yes i am gambling a bit that I like them... we'll see

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I bought a pair for my office and drove them successfully with a Cambridge CXA60, although I was listening below reference levels. I very much enjoyed them. They were very good speakers, and I wish I had not sold them. You can't go wrong considering the prices they are fetching now, assuming you have enough amp to drive them.

20200322_211854.jpg

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The same that price cars, online.

Top Bottom