• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polarmap viewer for NFS data

3ll3d00d

I adapted an app I'd written previously to load the data files, can be downloaded from https://github.com/3ll3d00d/pypolarmap/releases/tag/0.2.2 (windows users can use the _small exe)

some pics in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...wered-monitor-review.10859/page-8#post-306535

normalisation options are in the settings menu (ignore the smooth option, it's a hangover from the previous life of this app) so you choose to normalise on a given angle which can be useful for some speakers

(fwiw app is written in a pyqt with matplotlib for graphs, feel free to fork/contribute/suggest other views)

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would ask if you could use the same color scale that is used in Vituixcad and Arta. So that they could be comparable with those.
Like this:
VituixCAD_Directivity_PolarMap.png

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's really cool! And you even did a Mac version! Downloaded.

What's the data format required for measurements?

OP
3ll3d00d

3ll3d00d

fwiw a comparison between something approximating the arta/vituixcad style (which appears to be a linear mapping from one colour to the next) and a perceptually uniform rainbow colourmap

1579377642790.png

1579377710799.png

on other occasions the uniform one is not contrasty enough for the same data so needs the contour lines to help out

1579378281952.png

1579378314205.png

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Wow. Amazing detail.

Can you comment on Earl Geddes' polar map software if you've used it?

OP
3ll3d00d

3ll3d00d

I actually wrote this app a few years ago as part of an attempt on diyaudio to make his fortran routines (which do a similar thing to klippel NFS) publicly available, unfortunately it was buggy and he wasn't in a position to invest the time in fixing it so I had parked this in github (til now). This means the colourmap used & the interactive bit of the UI works the same as his app :)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I knew there had to be some kinship.

Thanks for putting in the work:)

OP
3ll3d00d

3ll3d00d

Apologies - I have the computer proficiency of a monkey, more or less. However, when I try to load that example dataset all I get is this.
not much to go on I'm afraid, does it present any sort of screen at startup or is it black all the time? the OSX apps are not signed so I think you have to manually trust them (don't have a mac here to test on atm)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this very nice software. I just wanted to report that the data format seems to have changed since earlier posts, the angles use a different symbol now and are double quoted. This breaks the software. I was able to make it work by search and replacing on the data, though. I was using the files from the Harbeth review.

E: Also, making the contour range go to +/- 180 doesn't seem to work. Using version 2.4.

Last edited:
OP
3ll3d00d

3ll3d00d

Thanks for this very nice software. I just wanted to report that the data format seems to have changed since earlier posts, the angles use a different symbol now and are double quoted. This breaks the software. I was able to make it work by search and replacing on the data, though. I was using the files from the Harbeth review.
there's a new build on the way which should work with the updated format, at least for the contour view (the polar chart has gone a bit crazy in response to +/- 180 files though). It will show up at https://github.com/3ll3d00d/pypolarmap/releases when built (builds are done by https://travis-ci.com/3ll3d00d/pypolarmap/branches)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
3ll3d00d

3ll3d00d

I see the build complete but it's not on the releases page, I assume you have to tag it for the assets to show up there?
Yes sorry, forgot to push that. It is on the way up now.

Top Bottom