• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Podcast about Mercury Living Presence

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll have to listen to that. I had at one time the first several of those Mercury Living Prescence recordings that were done in mono with one U47 microphone from Neumann. They were really something for a vinyl release. Even in mono these were very special. A coming together of the orchestras, recording people and all of them knowing how to work together for an unusually good result. I've several of the reissue CD's of the stereo recordings.

OP
gene_stl

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The SACD rerelease of these usually gives you a MultiChannel with three discrete channels L,C, and R across the front, no surrounds , taken directly from the original three channel masters. You don't need to upmix.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've encountered a few of these again recently. I can't say I like them nearly as much as audiophiles. There's the background hiss that everyone notices, but, to my ears, also the saturation/softening of strings and very indistinct and emphasized bass. It is a sort of pleasant effect overall, but there are so much better recordings now.

I guess what I'm saying is: pleasant? Yes. Accurate? Not really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom