• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PMC Twenty.21 Bookshelf Speaker Review

carlosmante

Here is how their $12,000 PMC Fact.8 [signature] measured in the Stereophile review (review from 2020, but released around 2010):
420PMC8fig4.jpg

Keep in mind this is a 30-degree horizontal response, so less jagged than on-axis. is also using a close-mic response for the bass which boosts it by like 5dB, so it is more bass-shy than the graphs leads on.
"(review from 2020, but released around 2010)"?

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Shame on me just bought the twenty5.24 few monhs ago as i was fooled by the sharp highs and boomy bass... All that happened before knowing ASR!
After few weeks i started to get fatigued, so bought a Umik microphone since i thought the problem was with the room, at that point i understood the main flaws were depending from the speaker.
Now after deep dsp correction in roon (which i didn't even consider to buy, so add extras to the bill...) music is starting to get enjoyable again. I'll try to sell them and get a Kef R7.

Just wondering why there are thousands of industry quality standards for the silliest products, but none for loudspeakers. Let's petition to avoid my story gets repeated!

Edit: I'm now a proud owner of Revel's 208

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I came to ASR after talking mostly with producers and engineers. PMC is a kind of goal for some and their studios.
I understand. I find that they appeal to me on many levels and have for many years. Unfortunately, my desires for them are unrequited. :facepalm:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I understand. I find that they appeal to me on many levels and have for many years. Unfortunately, my desires for them are unrequited. :facepalm:
I only shook it after seeing the Sound & Recording review. Before that my lust was strong.

wwenze

Major Contributor
And this is the best example (at least so far) of what happens when buyers fall into the trap of simply thinking

1) It is expensive
2) People say it is good / Professionals use it

And even then it could be avoided by a proper audition, which leads me to

3) People who have poor listening / testing ability yet believe their subjective observations over everything else.
4) Or blindly believing just because it sounds different and it is expensive means it is good.

This is not even the first model of speaker from PMC to behave like this... as the reviews that have been linked in this thread demonstrate. At this point I'm convinced this is intentional design. Intentional as in, even their twenty5 series have their frequency response designed this horribly.

https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/twenty5-24 review HiFi Critic Sept 17.pdf

I have seen photos of people using speakers from this line(s) in a desktop setup, toed in and angled up. I cringe. But I don't feel sad nor want to correct them because I've tried and they just go all "don't be like this guy who only believe measurements, your experience is more important"

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I've had the Twenty.22's, not a great speaker. Glad I got rid of them.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, this shatters a lot of dreams...you just made my wallet more secure in my pocket.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG.:facepalm: The poor guys who use this to mix or master a recording, it must sound bass shy and dull.

Or is this "monitor" speaker broken? Do you have a second one to remeasure distortion?

I assure you it is just this bad, but PMC has gotten this ill-deserved cult of personality.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine if your job was to write ambiguously positive reviews about products like this. What a life.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I dont get it? In some local audiophile circles PMC is regarded very very highly.
Is that a herd mentality? Or is that a curve people actually like?

Xyrium

Forum Donor
"An transmission line exiting out of the front port is one of the differentiators in the design"

I recall PMC offering transmission line cabs, but is this really one of them? Is it the shortest tunnel known to man inside that box?

lmaobrah

This kind of review totally change my perspective of the brand - PMC and also the Totem.

Now I'm wondering about ProAc.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I dont get it? In some local audiophile circles PMC is regarded very very highly.
Is that a herd mentality? Or is that a curve people actually like?
It's not too far off in frequency response than say majority of headphones. Yet many people can prefer most different kinds of sounds from headphones.
When the reputation is there, people can hear a difference then they can grow into liking them. It's natural.

Top Bottom