• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PMC Result6, Neumann KH120, Focal ST6 Solo6 and upcoming Neumann KH150 + IK Precision?

program2000

Thanks for joining the conversation. I just always use the same room correction with very precise speaker placement (+/- 2.3mm), so I don't pay much attention to the characteristics of the speakers out of the box. As a result, I hear differences, and those differences are huge between different speakers.

b

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You would have to use room correction and adjust the target curve of the various loudspeakers, difference between Kiis and 8Cs is approx +/- 1.5dB on their respective curves.
Keith

program2000

You would have to use room correction and adjust the target curve of the various loudspeakers, difference between Kiis and 8Cs is approx +/- 1.5dB on their respective curves.
Keith
In your personal opinion, do these speakers sound the same after correction? I always sold another pair of speakers, because after the room correction some of them sounded worse.

B.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No not the same but more similar, I as a predominantly domestic user I only ‘correct’ large low bass peaks but I appreciate as a pro user flattening the entire target might be more suitable.
Keith

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can this speaker play hi res audio, without downscaling it to 44 kHz ? Is the DSP running on 192khz ?

program2000

I did a blind test of the neumann kh120 vs "some cheap 5 inch speakers" a few years ago. What pained me was that they sounded almost identical, with a slight advantage for those $100 packs. Except that when I started talking about the advantage of the kh120, it turned out that the latter were playing. I put next to them after a few years loudspeakers from one company, which you don't like here on the forum. Neumann has gone down the drain. Such a loose throw-in on my part.

B.

dogmamann

I did a blind test of the neumann kh120 vs "some cheap 5 inch speakers" a few years ago. What pained me was that they sounded almost identical, with a slight advantage for those $100 packs. Except that when I started talking about the advantage of the kh120, it turned out that the latter were playing. I put next to them after a few years loudspeakers from one company, which you don't like here on the forum. Neumann has gone down the drain. Such a loose throw-in on my part.

B.
This doesn’t make any sense. No proof of whatever you said, topped with ambiguity.

dogmamann

I have experience with kh80, kh120, kh310 and many other studio monitors.

You praise Neumann speakers, but Amir, Erin end some others of us my friends aren't music producers. So you don't understand that your measurements are "not complete". These Neumann speakers sound "compressed". It means they sound like as if a compressor was connected between the source and the loudspeaker.

You listen music, but you don't know how compressor sounds I think. And spinorama don't tell us everything about speakers sound. Flat - yes, distorted - no, but this is not enough.

Best regards
B.
Show data to back your claim and we agree.

program2000

Show data to back your claim and we agree.
Nothing by your measurements, as you are just a common audiophile and not an experienced music producers. You make me laugh man. We producers make music, we know what's good and what's bad. And you just listen and nothing comes of it.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing by your measurements, as you are just a common audiophile and not an experienced music producers. You make me laugh man. We producers make music, we know what's good and what's bad. And you just listen and nothing comes of it.
Can i get your autograph, by the sounds of it ... you must be important.

Ogremic

Well, I am a music producer and mix engineer and work with a few separate studios, I'm no audiophile, but in spare time like to listen to music, and I've chimed in only for the "revealing" and "veiled" type of comments. Lurking here for a long time, just now deciding to comment.

What some may describe revealing is dependent if the listening window is a few minutes or many days spent on that monitor. That "revealing" might be just more highs, that can become piercing in time and fatiguing. Neumanns may seem a bit boring at times because it has no smile EQ in it, just honest response. I can understand when creating you need "vibe" and "mojo", and cranking a speaker with lots of highs and lows might be beneficial for the creation part of the producing, more so when multiple artists are in the same room, but when mixing I always prefer a boring monitor with a ruler flat (as much as possible) response, so that I can make a mix playable in many other audio setups, not just mine. Of course, time spent on a monitor makes you learn it's quarks and how it's better to mix on that particular monitor, but I prefer to not guess as much.

PS - I don't own any Neumanns, but had the chance to hear them extensively, even the bigboi 420 and saying they are sounding compressed is not true.
PS2 - Comparing any Neumann with a 100$ speaker and think the 100 one is the better one just exposes that the marketing is true, sometimes. Crank the highs, boom the bass and voila, on short term listening you think that speaker is "better". used to do that mistake myself when I started...

Last edited:
OP
D

dickiefunk

Info for the KH120II is up on the Neumann website now and they look very interesting.
I’m also still keen to find out more about the Focal Solo6 ST6 as the Twin6 ST6 had an extremely glowing review in SOS!

My shortlist is -

-1 replace KH120’s with KH120II and keep Eve TS108
-2 replace KH120’s with Focal Solo6 ST6 and keep Eve TS108
-3 replace Eve TS108 sub with Neumann KH750dsp

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I’m also still keen to find out more about the Focal Solo6 ST6
We have spinorama:
S6-SPIN-580x353.jpg

Note: Photo should be labelled as "Focal Solo6 ST6" to be more clear.

Source

Meh...Nothing special.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
1 replace KH120’s with KH120II and keep Eve TS108
I don't think this is a worthwhile upgrade....since it's a lateral upgrade with marginal improvement.
If you go for KH150's (or KH310's), then yes, that's an upgrade worth considering.

Here's KH150:
index.php

source
-2 replace KH120’s with Focal Solo6 ST6 and keep Eve TS108
Not an upgrade, as per weak spinorama above.
-3 replace Eve TS108 sub with Neumann KH750dsp
Good upgrade, since the sub is made for Neumann speakers. Plus MA1 DSP is a worthwhile improvement over not having DSP.

lowkeyoperations

I’ve owned and mixed on Neumann KH120s for about 10 years. I understand the comment on compression earlier. They sound like they have a nice 2 buss compressor sitting over the sound. Elements are glued together in a way that doesn’t happen on my Amphion One15s.

I prefer the KH120S for listening and the One15s for producing. On the One15s I can hear individual compression settings much more clearly, like the difference between a 30ms and 10ms attack setting for example, compared to the 120s where these changes are much harder to hear. Same with small eq movements. Much harder to hear on the 120s.

Still in their price range they are the best there is IMO.

Top Bottom