• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pls help to integrate sub with genelec 8030c

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to spread any potential misinformation so I will not comment further unless OP provides detailed dimensions of the room.
I re-read the room description and I did not realize the sub was to the side. So something like this? In that case it seems the sub null could be from ceiling or opposing wall reflections, maybe even the side walls (relative to sub). I think it would be useful for the OP to know the likely cause which could be estimated by measuring distances and plugging into the calculator: http://tripp.com.au/sbir.htm
1624307622297.png

1624307839808.png

ppataki

Major Contributor
I would also vote on a phase issue
Try different high-pass and low-pass slopes like 12dB/octave and 24dB/octave and the combination thereof (asymmetrical)
Best would be to try a mixed phase or linear phase crossover since those do not impact the phase

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would also vote on a phase issue
Try different high-pass and low-pass slopes like 12dB/octave and 24dB/octave and the combination thereof (asymmetrical)
Best would be to try a mixed phase or linear phase crossover since those do not impact the phase
My understanding is the main or initial thing OP wants to address is not being able to get an even response from the sub playing by itself.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is the main or initial thing OP wants to address is not being able to get an even response from the sub playing by itself.

not really, they said that the subwoofer is too big to be placed anywhere else so it is what it is.

OP
T

theshade

Apologies for the crappy pic and the mess. The speakers are on either side of the recliner about 2 to 2 and a half feet from the side walls. Approximately at the middle of the room probably closer to the front wall. The recliner when reclined listening position is probably 1/3 of the room near the back wall. The messy portion with all of the stuff on top of it near the right speaker is the sub. Normally, speakers are behind the 120 inch screen at the front. However, I tried to follow the genelec recommendations on speaker placement and considering the output of the 8030c's.

P10623-133414.jpg

I did a bunch of measurements today without moving the mic same position as the pic above.

Left speaker no crossover
left speaker no crossover.jpg

Right Speaker no crossover
right speaker no crossover.jpg

Sub only no crossover.
sub no crossover.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to label the measurements for left with sub and right with sub and I don't want to guess which of the numerous measurements is which.

Left and right speakers with sub. Auto eq. Speaker crossover 85hz bw 24db/oct sub crossover 100hz bw 12db/oct. I tried using 12db instead of the 24db/oct for the sub and the dips were less.

left right + sub.jpg

How do I adjust phase in minidsp? My sub doesnt have phase controls or volume. It is just a diy amp with a diy sub. Thanks.

OP
T

theshade

Either the phase setting on the subwoofer to add a few ms of delay to the speakers or sub in the MiniDSP.

How do I adjust the sub phase in minidsp? My sub does not have phase controls or volume. It is a just diy amp and diy sub.

OP
T

theshade

What is wrong with raising off the floor? Just put them on concrete blocks or similar for testing whether changing height makes a difference. How is this different than fiddling with moving to another x-y location?

I can try to orient it port pointing up rather than to the side. I'll do it during the weekend cause there is a lot of stuff to move

OP
T

theshade

I don't want to spread any potential misinformation so I will not comment further unless OP provides detailed dimensions of the room.

I dont have a tape measure right now. I will measure it once I get one. It is kinda high ceiling though compared to usual rooms.

OP
T

theshade

I re-read the room description and I did not realize the sub was to the side. So something like this? In that case it seems the sub null could be from ceiling or opposing wall reflections, maybe even the side walls (relative to sub). I think it would be useful for the OP to know the likely cause which could be estimated by measuring distances and plugging into the calculator: http://tripp.com.au/sbir.htm
View attachment 136812
View attachment 136813
I provided a picture that could give an idea but I dont have a tape measure right now. I will measure the room once I get one. The ceiling is somewhat higher than usual rooms though.

OP
T

theshade

The phase is the same as the delay function.

Can you give instructions on how to do it in minidsp. The buttons I see is PEQ, xover, comp, FIR. I'm a newbie with rew and minidsp. Thanks

OP
T

theshade

Top Bottom