• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Plexamp adds AI driven library and playlist features for Plex Pass users

Bastia

I'm finally done as well. I'm running my Plex server on a Synology DS218+. Scanning everything took about 5/6 days. Now I see 'Sonically similar artists' and 'Mixes for you'. I think this feature is really nice, since a lot of the time similar artists based on tags were missing or just not sonically very similar at all. I mean a band like Ulver started playing black-metal in the 90's but evolved playing a lot of different kind of genres during the last two decades. Still, they have always been tagged to the scene they started in, which meant Ulver Radio was always music unrelated to what I was playing. I like my black-metal, but not when I want to listen to electronic music. This new feature will at least solve my first world problem. :)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot to monitor progress on my servers analysis, but it was on track to finish the day after I started it (I'd set scheduled jobs to run between midnight and 5pm). Everything seems to be fine in Plexamp and the sonic recommedation make sense to me.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh. My server is now unreachable for some reason. I get the old "cannot securely connect to your server" message. Yet nothing has changed on my end. Did the regular "log out of everything and then go to plex.tv and log in again" and still nothing. Plex folks might be dealing with some outages.

app.plex.tv no luck, local web app direct to the server ip address on my machine no luck, Plex for Mac app on the same local machine no luck. :mad:

Also now my server says it's "optimizing database" and has been at it for about 5 hours. Maybe related...

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just started an "artist radio" on Plexamp from Audioslave and really enjoying the mix Plex put together. Velvet Revolver, STP, Tool. Seamlessly bringing in some Tidal albums and artists to the mix that I don't have in my library like Thornley. Kittie, Prophets of rage.

Very cool way to discover new stuff based on my existing stuff.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Translation: K-means clustering in Euclidean space?

They can also take N songs to form a basis of this Euclidean space and express any other song as a linear combination of this set. Isn't that nice?

By the way, they seem to be calculating distances in a N-dimensional space to say if two songs are close or not. Call this AI it's a bit too much.

What surprises me is that they seem to be doing this locally. But what happens if I have N or less than N songs? They are all close together? I mean, this will be discovering distances between points in your library, but as you don't have all the music in the world locally (well, some people may have it), the conclusions are not sharable with anyone else, nor are related with the true distance in the whole sonic space. In one library the Stones could be next to the Beatles and quite far away in another one.

Last edited:
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They can also take N songs to form a basis of this Euclidean space and express any other song as a linear combination of this set. Isn't that nice?

By the way, they seem to be calculating distances in a N-dimensional space to say if two songs are close or not. Call this AI it's a bit too much.

What surprises me is that they seem to be doing this locally. But what happens if I have N or less than N songs? They are all close together? I mean, this will be discovering distances between points in your library, but as you don't have all the music in the world locally (well, some people may have it), the conclusions are not sharable with anyone else, nor are related with the true distance in the whole sonic space. In one library the Stones could be next to the Beatles and quite far away in another one.
Not sure if they are comparing results globally or not. Definitely doing it locally for each user but not sure if the results would be different between the two same songs due to other songs in a given users catalog. That would imply a relative distance relationship rather than an absolute distance relationship.

Bastia

In Plexamp it actually shows the amount in percentage of similarity (or distance) when you click on 'Sonically similar albums' of an album. I have a bunch of albums without any similar albums (for an example I have one Flamenco guitar album and it's indeed on its own little island in my collection, I own nothing else quite like it), but others have quite a few. I think they show up to 76% in similarity, at least nothing below that number shows up for me.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Plexamp it actually shows the amount in percentage of similarity (or distance) when you click on 'Sonically similar albums' of an album.

I haven't been able to do this. Can you share instructions or where this is displayed? I am using an Android phone. When I'm in an album, and I scroll down to the sonically similar section. I can't click on the header and when I click on the album it just takes me to the album view.

Bastia

I haven't been able to do this. Can you share instructions or where this is displayed? I am using an Android phone. When I'm in an album, and I scroll down to the sonically similar section. I can't click on the header and when I click on the album it just takes me to the album view.
I can only do this when there are more than 5 albums in the Sonically Similar section. If there are more than 5 I can click the header and go to a separate page where it shows the albums with a percentage below it. I'm using iOS and MacOS, both versions have this feature.
Schermafbeelding 2021-08-29 om 21.14.08.png

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only do this when there are more than 5 albums in the Sonically Similar section. If there are more than 5 I can click the header and go to a separate page where it shows the albums with a percentage below it. I'm using iOS and MacOS, both versions have this feature.
Thanks! I found it. Once I found an album with more than 5 matches it showed up on my Android phone. Nice!

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Revisiting plexamp app Tonight using it to stream to my Anthem mrx1140. Really enjoying some of the new features in the interface.

Specifically they have some new types of "stations." I'm using "sonic adventure" where you add 2 or more tracks and it automatically builds a playlist of tracks that journey between them. Additionally there are "DJ" modifiers on the playback screen, where they will add a song based on the current song. Like "twofer" adds a second track from the same artist to the playlist. Or "contempo" which adds songs from the same era of the don't you are listening to. Very fun!

Top Bottom