• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PLEX?

Spider

I have just purchased a Plex Pass for a year.
Downloaded: Plex Media Server+PlexAmp & Plex Media Player.
I read some reviews about the services, & I must say my opinion remains positive.
I thought it was crapware, but sometimes(not often)you get surprised.
What do you think about the service as a whole?:)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a long time Plex users and have a Pass since it was introduced. However, I don't use their channels. I use Plex to stream films from my NAS.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I've been using Plex (paid subscription) for several years and mostly use it to stream movies, but also have a lot of music loaded.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Plex and Plexamp. It works great and it’s inexpensive. I just wish they’d add DLNA for music and not rely on Airplay 2.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well thanks, I’ll check that out

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started paying for a Plex Pass in 2013 and bought a lifetime Plex Pass in 2014. Previously, I'd run XBMC on two HTPCs, but keeping the metadata up to date on two machines was wasteful of my time and bandwidth (there were ways to create a shared database, but it was not trivial).

I don't use any of Plex's new TV and Film streaming channel, I play local content and watch and record the odd bit of terrestrial TV from my HD Homerun which integrates nicely with Plex.

kiwifi

I don't use any of Plex's new TV and Film streaming channel, I play local content and watch and record the odd bit of terrestrial TV from my HD Homerun which integrates nicely with Plex.
I use Kodi to do the same thing and it's free!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kodi isn't available on Roku or similar devices which is where Plex has an advantage for me. I have been using Plex for free as I mainly stream content off my own computer to play over my other video devices.

JSmith

Master Contributor

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got the lifetime plex pass since it's only $120. For that little I don't know why you'd bother paying monthly. It's great software and I've been using it for over a decade.

beeface

I’ve been using Plex for TV and movies for years now. Overall it’s been great, but I have to say I’ve been having far more issues since switching from a Roku 3 to an Amazon Fire TV Stick recently

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I run a Plex Server and multiple Plex clients, with multiple profiles and the ability to do things like pause on one client and resume on another.

The last time I checked, there is no 'Kodi Server'. Yes you can serve content via UPnP from Kodi, but that's hardly the same experience as you get with a fully integrated client/server setup like Plex has. Yes, you can create a shared MySQL database between multiple Kodi clients, but as I've already stated this is not trivial to setup.

I'm sure there are plug-ins and hacks to get Kodi to do all sorts of things, but the fact is that Plex provides the functionality that I want, out of the box. I paid $74.99 for a Lifetime Plex Pass in 2014, it's the gift (to myself) that keeps on giving :)

Reactions: ovi
Top Bottom