• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Plex vs Roon

capitanharlock

What player are you using on Windows other than PlexAmp? I use the regular Plex for Windows and have no issues with my DAC matching bitrate with whatever I'm playing.
Using the Plex app the result is the same.
Even using Plex trough the browser.
Only 44k or the Windows mixer frequency.
Using Roon it's working as expected.

Last edited:

Bastia

An answer to the question if there are streamers supporting Plex(amp). Yes, Sonos has a Plex plugin you could use. So you'll get your library and Plex playlists available inside the Sonos apps. But a somewhat lesser known feature (at least for me) is that you can connect your Sonos account to your Plex account, which makes it possible for Plexamp to 'see' Sonos streamers inside Plexamp and use them as endpoints inside the app. I think this is even gapless, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

jmaz87

if plex would just update plexamp for RPI's I would have 2 streamers that would work perfectly.... or a volumio plugin would be equally nice at this point. I really prefer using the Plexamp app over others.

jmaz87

OMG this is a game changer! Now I can finally fling to my PC again when I get home and wanna keep listening to whatever phone was playing.

Plex is constantly improving and works great for what I use it for, which is mostly video streaming. I do stream audio to my car stereo sometimes. Sound quality seems on par with tidal hd to my ears in the car. Car has polk component speakers, 2 subs and a dsp amp that drives them all, so I think my comparison to tidal HD as far as sound quality is a fair one. It also links to tidal now. I've had a plex pass membership for many years. I think it's great.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If Roon has dsp, can it do two channel to multi channel conversion to implement crossover design?

Ie could it send a 6 channel signal to my AVR, from which I could implement a three way speaker?

Severian

Forum Donor
I spent a few months using Plexamp as my main music player and I liked it once I had all of my metadata straightened out, but I finally signed up for Roon with the Black Friday deal and there is no looking back. It's so much better.
despite this, I have ended up going back to Plexamp as my main player. I miss the advanced features of Roon, but at the end of the day I couldn't get used to how it organized my music or the UI. In particular, Roon's horrible handling of "Various Artists" compilations was the biggest deal-breaker. They also need to make the UI for browsing albums more customizable.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So Plex are having a week of videos about their software - so today they shared a video by their CTO about Plexamp -
So in my opinion they are doing some very clever things especially with the playlist suggestions. I know that Roon has a slicker UI and DSP - but Plexamp especially after the sonic analysis provides some amazing ways of re-discovering your own music without needing third party subscriptions (other than Plex's).

m8o

Forum Donor
If Roon has dsp, can it do two channel to multi channel conversion to implement crossover design?

Ie could it send a 6 channel signal to my AVR, from which I could implement a three way speaker?

I have done something similar using procedural dsp I believe they call it and linked zones, with time delay compensation, to create a mono sub feed from a stereo sign. Only issue I found that happened enough I ultimately left it was, on stopping starting music playback the linked zones could sometimes go way way out of sync; even if and when I wasn't applying any addition time delay to the mono channel I created. Caveat, that was many Roon versions ago, over a year or two ago. Maybe synced linked zones behave better now?

Top Bottom